What's new

Phantom Console, beta testing, anyone heard of this? (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Hey all, my friend cued me into this today http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6030285.html . Apparently they are looking for 100 beta testers to test their new console the Phantom which will support online play and games on demand as well as automatic patches. I'm looking over the beta testers form right now and thinking about applying . First I've heard of this Phantom Console so it sounds kind of fishy to me. If it's real it looks cool though. What do you guys think?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Not the first I've heard of it. It's going to bomb horrifically, there isn't room for 3 consoles let alone 4, especially from a company with name recognition.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
I agree with Jeff, it has the makings of the next Divx, but I signed up for the Beta testing anyway. I hope it sticks around long enough for me to be accepted!

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
I saw that... Phantom actually has a pretty cool (if unformative) website. I started signing up for the beta test until I got to the point where it said "Paste resume here". I decided I do not want to go through the effort of updating my resume to be a beta tester for a console that probably won't even make it to launch.

Ray Warner

Stunt Coordinator
Nevermind that the entire process is pretty goddam shady to begin with. I have a perfectly fine resume, but what the hell do they want it for? I'm beta testing their console, not looking for a job. They don't need to know where I worked, what my education level is, and what my job aspects are to decide if they want to let me run a piece of hardware on my cable modem to see if it works.

This whole thing reeks of bootleg, and a lot of the questions on that application sent up way too many red flags for me to honestly think this is legitimate. I'm not saying they're looking to rob me or anything, but I really doubt this is anything but someone's pipe dream.

It looks like they have no idea what the hell they're doing.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I'll admit, the resume thing is kind of stupid, but would a bootlegger really make such a well designed site (yes, I know the Dogg Digital site isn't that bad either)

Ray Warner

Stunt Coordinator
I think they think they're legitimate, but nobody else is going to. The website is nice, but it doesn't actually say anything. I've seen some pretty nice flash animations before, and it's not enough to convince me.

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, it appears that they've spent more effort on the website then the actual console so far. I still don't really understand the concept of the machine. I've heard rumors that it's a way to play PC games on your TV, but the site doesn't mention that. It sounds like their whole plan depends on licensing games... pretty tough business model for a small company.

Rob_Pierce

Second Unit
Yup, I as well stopped at the "paste resume here" part.
I didn't actually post my professional resume, but typed my ideo game experience since the Atari days. If this is not the information they're looking for, I'm not giving them anything else.

The website was extremely vague, but I figured it can't hurt to sign up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks