What's new

PGR1 or PGR2? RSC1 or RSC2? also racing game suggestions (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Im getin an xbox soon and im a auto-racing freak (main reason i got Dreamcast: MSR, Ferarri F355 Challenge, etc)!

Is there much difference between the original and sequel for the Project Gotham Racing and the RalliSport Challenge series???

Like if i were to buy PGR2 and RSC2 would i be missing out on stuff from PGR1 and RSC1?

Which copy (the original or sequel) of the two games would you guys recommend?

Also any other racing game recommendations?

I played Burnout3 on my friends PS2 before, that was really fun, gonna check that out...

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Go with the 2nd on both. RSC I've played both and prefer the 2nd...but with PGR2 I only own the 2nd and LOVE it. It's my FAVORITE racing game to date (and oddlyg RSC2 is my fav as far as rally goes).

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
You can get all of them fairly cheap. I actually prefer the original games, they were harder, there's a certain amount of dumbing down with the sequels. The sequels offer online play however. You might want to check out Toca 2, it comes with a free copy of Colin McRae Rally 4 for $39.99 canadian. Killng two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
All amazing, all cheap. PGR2 is simply fantastic particularly when played on Xbox Live. It's actually now priced the same as the PGR1 platinum series (which has no XBL support), has more cars, more tracks, better graphics, plus a couple of premium downloads available with - you guessed it - more cars and more tracks. RSC2 is a more solid game than RSC1 with better handling and career system as well as better graphics. It also runs on Xbox Live which again is awesome. And now selling at the same price as the RSC1 platinum.

So of those four you're definitely better off going with the current version of each at a minimum for XBL but also pure technical advancement. And if you're choosing only one then I would have to say PGR2. But Gotham and Rallisport are two distinctly different series so I would encourage you to buy both. Cost of a single new game. You won't regret it if you're a racing fan.

TOCA and McRae 4 are great suggestions. Again, cheap but awesome. McRae is more of a technical rally experience compared to RSC1 or RSC2.

If you're into the more hardcore driving sims keep your eyes peeled for Forza Motorsport from Microsoft expect within the next couple of months.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Thanks for the suggestions!

Jay: Yeah i am gonna get both PGR and RSC, i just didnt know which (the original or sequel) to get for each series...

The Toca/McRae sounds awesome, two games for price of one, sweet...

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
I'll just add that Toca 2 supports online play but CMR4 doesn't. I know a lot of guys who are very impressed with the damage modeling system in Toca 2.

Honestly, whatever you pick up, you won't be going wrong. If you can find a copy of MotoGp2, this is the best motorcylce game out there and one of the best xbox live games.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I'm not a die hard racing game fan but the game that I enjoy the most on the Xbox is Burnout 3. I LOVE that game!!! Yea, it's not realistic but it's so much fun. I play it much more than PGR2.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I love racing games, but only own Burnout 3 on the XBOX. It's an absolute blast in multiplayer, splitscreen or online, but I find it the gameplay doesn't have enough depth to sustain my interest in single player / campaign mode, despite the huge number of tracks one gets to unlock.

My favotire racing game ever was Formula 1 by Psygnosis, on the PS1. I couldn't have enough of that thing, the soundtrack (with countributions by Steve Vai and Joe Satriani) was dead-d-ly.

I would love to try something even remotely similar on the XBOX.

Any recommendations for a PURE RACING game on the XBOX?

I am not a fan of moto racing at all btw...

--
H

DeanWalsh

Second Unit
My only dissapointment with PGR2 is with all the added polish on the cars and environments they had to drop down the framerate to 30fps (The original game was 60fps). Don't get me wrong I love both games, but I'm a firm believer that where applicable the added detail is less important than a silky smooth framerate, especially when it comes to racing games. Overall the 2nd game is much better though.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

That's funny - I came back to this thread specifically to suggest that. Amazing game. Tough as hell.

Re: the frame rate on PGR2 - I never felt it was a problem but it certainly opened a lot of debate here at release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks