What's new

PGR out already? (1 Viewer)

Jake Gove

Second Unit
I picked it up on Saturday (the 15th) and it had the do not sell until Nov. 18th sticker on it. Great game, and a reason to renew my Live subscription.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Picked it up yesterday and love it so far. Seems that control is a bit tighter than the original. Played a bit on Live which was a lot of fun. Although one race had a couple of guys with overpowered cars who would blow by on the straights then you find them in the weeds on the corners.

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a police car in this game? I say this because I was watching the G4 channel last night and they were showing clips from this game and I could have sworn I saw a police car following some other car?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I don't think so, Ken, this is "organised" racing. Maybe it was a clip from the new Need For Speed? :)

JamesH

Supporting Actor
So you must own like 4...5...maybe 6 games. They locked the framerate at 30 to be consistent.
Gran Turismo runs at a consistent 60, as do Rallisport and the first Project Gotham. Now owning the game, I can confirm what I said earlier. It's gorgeous, but 30FPS blows. Does all the extraneous detail the designers tossed in really matter if a lack of fluidity contributes to you hitting a cone and blowing your score?

The game structure is also nerfed. There is no longer a certain, relatively high skill requirement just to advance. Instead, you can just drop the difficulty. The kudos betting in the first game is completely GONE. You can also scrape walls without losing kudoos. Fortunately, the online takes care of the game structure problems for the most part since there will be plenty of REALLY good people to go against.

Is it shocking that I might dislike some parts of a game, but like the game overall? Every game is not worthy of 110% praise.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Does all the extraneous detail the designers tossed in really matter if a lack of fluidity contributes to you hitting a cone and blowing your score?
Your eyes are more sensitive to this than mine. It looks and plays great from my end. And online rocks (although I do find it difficult to find games).

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Hrm. Doesn't an NTSC televion run at thirty frames? Sixty interlaced, yes, but you don't want to display the odd lines of frame 1 then the even lines of frame 2, lest you see visual artifacts and tearing, yes?

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just saw that G4TV show had some game footage of PGR and sure enough there was footage of a police car running into the back end of some slick looking car. Maybe these will be downloadable cars? The show I saw was the "G4 Holiday Hotlist" and it was 40 minutes into the show.

Ken H

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Has anyone else experienced hiccups when playing songs ripped to the XBox HD? Initially I thought it was mimicking a skipping CD because of a collision, but whether glitch or game design both are lame.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone else experienced hiccups when playing songs ripped to the XBox HD?
None, and I listen to my music exclusively.

What I am finding frustrating with PGR2 is Xbox Live. The only way I can get onto a game is through Quick Match (or through a friend). I have yet to get a hit through Optimatch, even if I leave the criteria open. When I do get into a Quick Match game more often then not it's in progress and I have to sit and twiddle my thumbs in the lobby (how cool would it be to be able to watch the race in progress). You would think there are enough players and games active that chances to jump into a pre-game lobby would be better. What's more frustrating is that I have yet to have anyone join my lobby when I try to host a game.

Am I alone on this?

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
Jay, I haven't had that problem yet. I have always been able to pull up about 10-15 hits with the optimatch, however I have had the issue of no one joining my created game (unless a friend was online.) I think your idea of being able to at least watch the race instead of just sitting in the lobby is excellent and would be a nice implementation. Maybe future Live racing games will take note.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I think your idea of being able to at least watch the race instead of just sitting in the lobby is excellent and would be a nice implementation. Maybe future Live racing games will take note.
Just not sure what kind of hit on bandwidth that would take.

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
I've had good luck on Optimatch finding a number of available games, ususally searching with a restriction to car-class. There's always a full screen of games with lots at good network speeds.

I actually haven't hosted yet, but I've followed a friend into a new session (when they host) and we always have people arrive given enough time. During a race we always see people join the lobby and then leave if we're at the start of the race.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to see the race, but at least this game shows players' positions on the map... that's such a great idea. If it looks like it will be a couple minutes I'll go get a snack and come back... no problem. I don't mind waitng a couple minutes to sit down for an hour of online racing.

Jay, I'll try to remember to send you a friend request and if you're interested you're welcome to join in.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Anybody else been having a problem with getting Dropped from XBOX Live while playing this game? I'll log on and play single player for a bit of a warm up and it will drop me off and I have to log back on. But it also does when playing on live in the multi player races. It usaully happens after each race I get dropped off of LIVE.

I played Midtown Madness 3 a bunch and it never had this problem.

Talked to some guys online last night and they don't seem to be having this problem either. Is anyone here having these connection troubles with this game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks