What's new

PGR out already? (1 Viewer)

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, I saw someone on my friends list playing PGR and I think they are a HTF member. If so what do you think of the game and where did you pick it up at?

Thanks,
Ken H

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
The official ship date is the 17th however many retailers are already selling thier copies. I will have mine tommorrow as a good friend over at my local EB already has my copy waiting for me. You can check out this thread for a few more folks playing the game and impressions:

PGR2 impressions and more

James_tango

Stunt Coordinator
I received my copy of PGR2, yesterday. Played for about 5~6 hours last night.

I'm somewhat disappointed in some respect .
Graphic is not mind-blowing. But it is very, very good.
30 fps doesn't trouble game play. But it isn't smooth as butter either. Specially if you've played 60fps racers such as PGR1, SEGA GT2002, MotoGP2..etc.

But overall, it is indeed fantastic racer. I am somewhat disappointed NOT because PGR2 is a bad sequel, I'm disappointed because I had high expectations (I loved the first one - PGR1). I guess I expected too much. :frowning:

And yes, it supports 16x9 widescreen aspect ratio as well as 480p.
No support for 720p, nor/and 1080i.

Damien

Supporting Actor
This one of the top 3 most anticipated games for me. So far(minus IGN and gamespot which doesn't have reviews up) it's getting rave reviews unlike the first one which is the best racer released this generation to me.

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
I just got back from my local store and they were selling this game so I traded an unopened game I bought when they had the buy 3 get 1 free a couple of weeks ago for it. What I found amusing was that on the top of the game box was a sticker that sell do not sell game until 11/18.

Ken H.

Ken Holmes

Stunt Coordinator
Don't know if people already knew this but if you go into the garage to look at the cars and do the walk around mode you can go over to an arcade game against the wall called Geomtry Wars and play it!

Just noticed that a few people on my friends list were in the games score list so they must know

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tyler
Well I got my copy last night. They didn't have it out on display (probably beccause of the orange sticker that says do not sell before 11/18/03. I just asked if they had it and they left a copy at the register. There was an overdramatic nature to the whole thing like I was really getting away with something. Whatever.

Thanks for the garage arcade game tip, I hadn't noticed.

My quick impression is good but not incredible. It's very similar to the first, I think the physics feel a little better. The AI cars are definately better, much more aggressive. I got nailed and spun out twice agains EASY competition... don't cut them off. I think this will be outstanding live, but there wasn't anyone on yesterday most of the time. The lowest world rank was still below 400 when I started playing so that says something.

There's nice detail that was missing from the first, cracked windsheilds, your hood will fly open when you crash, leaves blowing off the trees, trains moving in the background... nice details. And the cars look and drive great. It's nice being able to test drive any of them.

That's all... I'm off to play again...

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Of course not a lot of people were on. the game isnt supposed to be released until tues/wed

capt

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Sucks that they messed up on the framerate, PGR1 is my favorite racing game of all time. 60FPS is a requirement now, there's no reason for it not to be in PGR2...especially since it was in the first. It's a shame that graphical detail took precedence to gameplay, I just don't think a racer that requires such incredible precision will work as well with the more inconsistent framerate.

Damien

Supporting Actor
"Sucks that they messed up on the framerate, PGR1 is my favorite racing game of all time. 60FPS is a requirement now, there's no reason for it not to be in PGR2..."

That's too bad. You do realize that if the game doesn't go below 30 your eyes cannot make any distinction between 30 and 60 fps, especially for a racer. If only Halo was 60 fps...

James_tango

Stunt Coordinator
That's too bad. You do realize that if the game doesn't go below 30 your eyes cannot make any distinction between 30 and 60 fps...
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. There's a night and day difference between 30, and 60 Hz.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Like Mr. Tango said, night and day. If it's anything like the first, it will be necessary to weave in and out of cones at high speeds, missing them by just a few in-game inches. It might take 50+ tries to fully combo a track and use all the time with no mistakes, and a lower framerate will make it all the tougher. By the 50th time I see a track, am I really going to care about a ferris wheel in the background with animated passengers who have pet dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you?

Damien

Supporting Actor
Like Mr. Tango said, night and day. If it's anything like the first, it will be necessary to weave in and out of cones at high speeds, missing them by just a few in-game inches. It might take 50+ tries to fully combo a track and use all the time with no mistakes, and a lower framerate will make it all the tougher. By the 50th time I see a track, am I really going to care about a ferris wheel in the background with animated passengers who have pet dogs with bees in their mouths and when they bark they shoot bees at you?
30 FPS on a console is considered smooth and it doesn't get much better than that as far as what you can see on a television. There is no point in sacrificing detail for something that is barely noticable. That's why you notice a big difference going from say unreal tournament pc to unreal championship xbox, as your PC monitors allow games to run at a faster clip than consoles where there is basically no difference between 30 and 60. I can't name one console FPS that claims to run at 60 fps that compares to a pc game that claims to runs a 60 fps. It's because of some blurring effect on TV's. Type it in google and see for yourself.

ed - lol excuse my grammar

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Gentlemen, please do not post the names of stores who violate street dates. I have edited those posts above that have. You jeopardize their ability to continue carrying product.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Damien, it's fine if you consider 30FPS smooth and YOU can't tell a difference, but pretending that there isn't a massive difference is like sticking your head in the sand. The difference is there, it's huge, and I'm actually kind of jealous of you if you can't see it since you'll probably enjoy the game more than I will and I was REALLY anticipating it.

Car list(I don't know how accurate it is)

Mini Cooper S
Seat Leon Cupra R
Volkswagen New Beetle RSi
Ford Focus RS
Honda Civic Type-R
Renault Clio V6
Volkswagen R32
Lancia Delta Integrale Evo
Audi TT Roadster
Mazda Miata MX-5
Toyota MR2 Spyder
Porsche Boxster S
Honda S2000
BMW Z4 3.0i
Audi TT Coupe
Mazda RX-8
Honda Integra Type-R (Japan)
Nissan 350Z
Audi S4
BMW M3
Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
Volvo XC90
Chevrolet SSR
Mercedes ML55 AMG
Porsche Cayenne Turbo
BMW X5 4.6is
Ford SVT Lightning
Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VII
Mazda RX-7
Toyota Supra Twin-Turbo
Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Nissan Skyline GT-R (R34) Nur
Vauxhall VX220
Lotus Elise
Lotus 340R
Caterham 7 Classic
Renault Spider
AC 427 MKIII
Toyota 2000GT
Nissan 240Z
Porsche 550 Spyder
Jaguar E-Type
Mercedes 300SL Gullwing
Porsche 911 RS 2.7
Ferrari 275 GTB
Ferrari Dino 246 GT
Lancia Stratos
Ferrari 250 GT
Lexus SC 430
Jaguar XKR
Audi RS6
TVR Tamora
Cadillac XLR
Morgan Aero 8
Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe (996)
Iceni
Pontiac GTO
Corvette Sting Ray
Chevrolet Camaro SS
Ford Mustang Fastback 2+2
Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Pontiac Trans Am
Ferrari 355 F1
Porsche 911 Turbo (996)
Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Dodge Viper GTS
Ferrari 360 Modena
Ferrari 360 Spider
TVR Tuscan Speed 6
Delfino Feroce
Bentley Continental GT (HOT)
Ferrari Testarossa
Ferrari 550 Barchetta
Mercedes SL55 AMG
Ferrari 575M Maranello
Aston Martin Vanquish
Lotus Espirit V8
Lotus Exige
Vauxhall VX220 Turbo
Dodge Viper SRT-10
Honda NSX Type-R (Japan)
Noble M12 GTO3
Porsche 911 GT3 (996)
Ferrari Challenge Stradale
Ford GT40
Porsche 959
Ferrari F40
Ferrari F50
Porsche 911 GT2 (993)
Jaguar XJ220
Ascari KZ1
Saleen S7
Ford GT
Porsche Carrera GT
Koenigsegg CC V8S
Enzo Ferrari
Pagani Zonda S
Mercedes CLK-GTR
Porsche 911 GT1
TVR Cerbera Speed 12

Steve Md

Auditioning
If it's anything like the first, it will be necessary to weave in and out of cones at high speeds, missing them by just a few in-game inches. It might take 50+ tries to fully combo a track and use all the time with no mistakes, and a lower framerate will make it all the tougher.
Never mind, JamesH, you answered my question right there. No, you haven't played the game.

I'd recommend that neither one of you purchase the game as you've obviously already made up your mind that there is no way a racing game running at 30 FPS can be good. It's a shame that you'll both be missing out on one of the best racing games for a console... ever.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I'd recommend that neither one of you purchase the game as you've obviously already made up your mind that there is no way a racing game running at 30 FPS can be good.
Precisley Steve. I agree completely. I'm not even remotely a large fan of the racing genre but I really enjoyed the first Project Gotham Racing and PGR2 is just an amazing game.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Sucks that they messed up on the framerate, PGR1 is my favorite racing game of all time. 60FPS is a requirement now, there's no reason for it not to be in PGR2...especially since it was in the first. It's a shame that graphical detail took precedence to gameplay, I just don't think a racer that requires such incredible precision will work as well with the more inconsistent framerate
So you must own like 4...5...maybe 6 games. They locked the framerate at 30 to be consistent.

BTW - This game is incredible. Framerate is far from being a problem. Its definetely the best looking racing game out there, some of the cities are a bit dull, Moscow, but some are so pretty, Chicago, Barcelona. Definetely a must buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks