What's new

PFM-42x inverted (negative) image on start up (1 Viewer)

Neal Shields

Auditioning
I just purchased a Sony PFM-42x1 Plasma monitor.

I hooked it to the cable box with a DVI/HDMI cable. It is hooked to the tape player with a S video cable.

When I first turn it on in the evenings the picture is inverted (a negative image, not upside down).

I push, every button, select every option in the menu, cycle between inputs and use curse words in multiple languages and nothing seems to help.

After about 5 minutes it seems to fix itself (or did I finaly fix it?).

Once it starts working it works fine for the rest of the evening even if I turn it off and turn it back on.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I sounds like it's confused about the input source. I assume that you've split the incoming cable to the VCR and box. Try turning on the display first (with the cable box and VCR turned off) and selecting the digital input. Turn on the cable box after the display has started and shows it's looking for a signal. Just my guess.

Mort (that thinks it might have something to do with the HDCP handshake)

Neal Shields

Auditioning
I tried that when I got home, it does the same thing unpluged from the cable box and with a feed from the VCR.

I timed it and it is exactly 7 minutes.

However I played with it a bit this morning before going to work and I may have had it on for 3 minutes so it could be 10 minus 3.

It may be that this model does a 10 minute anti-burn in every 24 hours no mater what else you do.

I am pretty sure that I won't be able to get it to do it again until after midnight so it is very difficult to figure out.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I looked up that model and it does have both an orbiter and inverter function.....new one on me. Couldn't locate an on line manual, but perhaps there's a setting in one of the panels menus that would allow you to override the inverter. My display allows different orbiter settings but the inverter is one I've never seen.

Mort

Neal Shields

Auditioning
Turned out what I thought was the screen saver function was actually the set treating an NTSC signal like a PAL signal or some other thing.

The screen saver inverter looks almost B&W this looked like very bright reds and yellows.

Sony convenced me that it was bad and they are taking it back.

Thanks for all the help

Neal

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks