What's new

Petticoat Junction-Remaining Series on DVD? (1 Viewer)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
As am I, Leo. The show really picked up again late in S6 and throughout S7 and easily could have been renewed for an 8th season. And yes, I agree Meredith helped push it forward, along with the remaining cast, after the difficulty of losing Bea Benaderet.

Gary "having those McRae seasons on DVD would be really nice, but I've given up hope" O.
Never give up hope. You never know.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
If my memory is correct, Meredith MacRae was brought in to do a partial "re-boot" of the Billie Jo character. The idea was that she and her equally new co-star Mike Minor would provide a musical element to the show that would eventually be the basis for a spin-off series (sort of a pre-Joanie Loves Chachi if you will). Various factors including Minor's real life romance with Linda Kaye Henning and Bea Benaderet's health problems precluded the development of this proposed show. However, the musical emphasis and the more mature characterization (in contrast to the more overtly comic and flirtatious Jeannine Riley and Gunilla Hutton) persisted. I prefer the earlier characterization myself, but MacRae was still a charming presence on the show.

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I know this is over a year old, but does anyone have seasons 4-7 that are a somewhat decent quality? I have 4-7, but it was from awhile ago, and it sucks on big TVs. Thanks.
I have some spotty bootlegs, but the quality stinks on big TVs.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
If my memory is correct, Meredith MacRae was brought in to do a partial "re-boot" of the Billie Jo character. The idea was that she and her equally new co-star Mike Minor would provide a musical element to the show that would eventually be the basis for a spin-off series (sort of a pre-Joanie Loves Chachi if you will). Various factors including Minor's real life romance with Linda Kaye Henning and Bea Benaderet's health problems precluded the development of this proposed show. However, the musical emphasis and the more mature characterization (in contrast to the more overtly comic and flirtatious Jeannine Riley and Gunilla Hutton) persisted. I prefer the earlier characterization myself, but MacRae was still a charming presence on the show.
She definitely was and I also liked her as Sally on My Three Sons.

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
Once i saw Jeannine Riley as the sassy version of Billie Jo, it was tough for me to watch the other two. Riley really had great comic timing. But I understand the sentiment about how Meredith’s more level-headed Billie helped anchor the show later on.

Since they had a more sensible Billie Jo by the time Kate was gone, perhaps they would have been better off bringing someone with more comic sensibilities than June Lockhart to fill the gap. Maybe Shirley Mitchell as Cousin Mae.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
RIP, Betty White, Hooterville’s favorite bookmobile librarian (among a ton of memorable TV appearances). You will be missed.

Fortunately so much of her work is available either on disc or on TV rerun channels. But it’s too bad her PJ episode appears in one of the seasons that will likely never see an official release (S6).

BEAF870B-2102-423F-A559-8BB8291E2DB8.jpeg

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
does anyone else feel the best part of the show is the dog? He deserved his own spin off

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
She wasn't Uncle Joe's first crush on a librarian (Dianne Foster from the season 2 episode 'Have Library, Will Travel').

168338437_3985289851509726_624022524567507144_n.png

I've not seen the Betty White episode in a few years and don't recall particulars about it. Did they do the same thing that they did with the season 4 Christmas episode and just dusted off the script from the black & white episode?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks