What's new

Petticoat Junction-Remaining Series on DVD? (1 Viewer)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I wouldn't call Mike Minor an "awful" singer. It's just that his type of music was not very "hip." He had a deep baritone voice. I guess the producers were trying to attract the same audience that watched "The Lawrence Welk Show."
The girls, however, sang more pop tunes. They actually recorded a few singles, and toured the country singing in local venues. I have a music CD of their unreleased tracks, and it's actually quite good.

That sounds interesting. I do like the pop tunes. I hope if the rest of this series does make it to DVD, that the songs aren't deleted or changed.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I don't know about his singing, but the Bradley girls did a nice job singing. I certainly wouldn't want those deleted.
You won't have any argument from me on that point. The Bradley girls' singing I enjoy. Mike's singing is what they invented the fast forward button for!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Would CBS/Paramount actually release the later seasons with the music cut? (And there are a handful of episodes where the music was part of the plot line) Didn't they get a lot crap for what they did with Gomer Pyle, USMC and cutting all of Jim's singing?

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
I wouldn't call Mike Minor an "awful" singer. It's just that his type of music was not very "hip." He had a deep baritone voice. I guess the producers were trying to attract the same audience that watched "The Lawrence Welk Show."
The girls, however, sang more pop tunes. They actually recorded a few singles, and toured the country singing in local venues. I have a music CD of their unreleased tracks, and it's actually quite good.

I was hoping they would release at least the rest of Kate's seasons. IMO Season 4 was the last truly good season, but the wedding episode in S5 is one of my favorites of the entire series, so I'd love to have that on an official release.

Ron, I bought that PJ Girls CD a few years ago. Yes, it's definitely more for the "Lawrence Welk" crowd vs. rock fans, but there is something charming about it. My favorite is their cover of the Youngblood's "Get Together". Lori's lead vocal seems kind of stiff and over-rehearsed, but that's what I love about it--it's so unique!

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Would CBS/Paramount actually release the later seasons with the music cut? (And there are a handful of episodes where the music was part of the plot line) Didn't they get a lot crap for what they did with Gomer Pyle, USMC and cutting all of Jim's singing?
That's a good question. I don't know. If the music was cut, would enough people still buy it? I am not sure if I would. What they did to the music in Gomer Pyle was ridiculous.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
CBS certainly emphasized the primary hues when this show went to color. It's almost as colorful as a STAR TREK episode!

PetticoatJunction.JPG

PetticoatJunction2.JPG

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It wasn't just them. Almost every show that went color went with strong, bright, colors for people to appreciate their new, expensive, color TVs. I knew people who'd crank the color up and then skew the red enough to make skin tones overly ruddy in appearance - but they liked it and it proved their TV was color.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Here's some screen captures I took from the CBS season three DVDs...is there a better looking color 1960s series available on DVD than season three of this show? I don't think so...Petticoat Junction looks gorgeous in these remastered episodes! I'd like to see more come our way. A funny and supremely charming show...

PJ 4.JPG

PJ 2.JPG

PJ 1.JPG

PJ 5.JPG

PJ 6.JPG

PJ 12.JPG

PJ 11.JPG

PJ 9.JPG

PJ 10.JPG

PJ 8.JPG

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The beauty that is season 3 on DVD is one reason I almost hope we don't get the subsequent seasons.

That's because I sadly see no reason to hope that they'd invest the money into going back to the 35 mm negatives in order to create modern transfers from them. I imagine it will be done on the cheap just like they did with My Three Sons, with them utilizing their existing video transfers.

And while those black & white videotape transfers for My Three Sons are pretty good looking, these color episodes of Petticoat Junction (And My Three Sons) sadly range from poor to just merely okay. A far cry from how season 3 of Petticoat Junction looks on DVD.

Last edited:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
The beauty that is season 3 on DVD is one reason I almost hope we don't get the subsequent seasons.

That's because I sadly see no reason to hope that they'd invest the money into going back to the 35 mm negatives in order to create modern transfers from them. I imagine it will be done on the cheap just like they did with My Three Sons, with them utilizing their existing video transfers.

And while those black & white videotape transfers for My Three Sons are pretty good looking, these color episodes of Petticoat Junction (And My Three Sons) sadly range from poor to just merely okay. A far cry from how season 3 of Petticoat Junction looks on DVD.
Maybe they'll surprise us and provide nice looking transfers.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I'm capturing Petticoat Junction episodes from ME TV because I would like to view the rest of the series and do not believe there is any chance CBS will release further seasons.

I watched Petticoat Junction during its original run. After the loss of Bea Benaderet, the show was never the same. The death of Smiley Burnette was another loss for me, Mr. Burnette having been a favorite of mine in so many Gene Autry westerns.

Still - I will watch my CBS DVDs and ME TV captures and enjoy Petticoat Junction quite fondly.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall

Maybe they'll surprise us and provide nice looking transfers.
Despite someone editing the Wikipedia page (an open-sourced platform, though curated to some degree) for Petticoat Junction and adding that CBS will complete the series on DVD in 2020, do we have any other info confirming this? I'm just as skeptical as you guys, with the added uncertainty of the pandemic's economic and logistical implications delaying it, if and when it actually happens. I would love it to be otherwise, but I don't think there's a chance now.

On the optimistic side, in recent pre-pandemic times, CBS has surprised us with Completing Gunsmoke on DVD, an incredible development overall. And despite some fans fearing they might use old tape transfers (of terrible quality) to finish the series in short order, seasons 16-19 came out in short order utilizing the same beautifully remastered standards as before. I can't imagine that the imminent season 20 will be any different. And who could have possibly imagined that a massive complete series set would have ever been produced by CBS/(P)? Mind boggling just a year ago!
I'm capturing Petticoat Junction episodes from ME TV because I would like to view the rest of the series and do not believe there is any chance CBS will release further seasons.

I watched Petticoat Junction during its original run. After the loss of Bea Benaderet, the show was never the same. The death of Smiley Burnette was another loss for me, Mr. Burnette having been a favorite of mine in so many Gene Autry westerns.

Still - I will watch my CBS DVDs and ME TV captures and enjoy Petticoat Junction quite fondly.
Chris, I wish I could get MeTV in Canada (it's possible, but I'd have to jump through some hoops with a VPN provider), I haven't seen the later seasons of Petticoat Junction since first run. But I agree, there was no replacing the wonderful and irreplaceable Bea Benaderet. And The familiar Joy of Smiley Burnette also. But there were enough bits and pieces left with the rest of the original cast and the spare parts that came and went, that I'd want to see the rest of it on DVD. But like yourself and others, I'm not holding my breath. Except to avoid the current contagion, ha, ha...

Last edited:

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Well, since I’m apparently the only one here that actually likes Meredith MacRae, I’d like to see at least S4. I’d buy S5 too.

Gary “Meredith was one of my adolescent crushes” O. :D

While I prefer the more flirtatious Billie Jo as played by Jeannine Riley and Gunilla Hutton, I certainly don't dislike Meredith at all. Her portrayal was different but not bad.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I would buy any further seasons of Petticoat Junction that CBS would release. In fact, I would prefer CBS releases over what I'm capturing from ME TV. If further seasons of Petticoat Junction are released by CBS, I'm buying. I just think it is unlikely CBS is going any further with Petticoat Junction., but I'd love to be wrong about this.

The prints running on ME TV look pretty good to me, it looks like some remastering was done because the colors seem to pop. If not, these films must have been well taken care of to look this good.

I agree with Arthur on the blondes. :)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Here's some screen captures I took from the CBS season three DVDs...is there a better looking color 1960s series available on DVD than season three of this show? I don't think so...Petticoat Junction looks gorgeous in these remastered episodes! I'd like to see more come our way. A funny and supremely charming show...

Great screencaps, Randall! Petticoat Junction S3 looks great, for sure. I'd say Hogan's Heroes gives it a run for its money, though Hogan and his men wear slightly less colorful threads than the PJ girls. ;) The Wild Wild West S2 and at least the first two seasons of Mannix also really pop. Don't really need a Blu-Ray upgrade for any of the above...though I wouldn't say no, either.

Love that bright mid-1960s color!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Well, since I’m apparently the only one here that actually likes Meredith MacRae, I’d like to see at least S4. I’d buy S5 too.

Gary “Meredith was one of my adolescent crushes” O. :D

I haven't seen any episodes with Meredith MacRae myself yet, Gary, but I'd certainly be down for Petticoat Junction S4. I'm still getting used to Gunilla Hutton replacing the vivacious Jeanine Riley (which is more than compensated for by the addition of Lori Saunders). Where I lose interest is in any post-Bea Benederet seasons...just wouldn't be the same without her.

linda-henning-396146_960_720.jpg

Don't see anything wrong there!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks