What's new

Petticoat Junction-Remaining Series on DVD? (1 Viewer)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I just read on Wikipedia(of course not always known for having correct or accurate information) that the remaining series of Petticoat Junction, which would include all 7 seasons, is going to be released on DVD sometime later this year by CBS Television Distribution. It mentions this under the Home Media section of the Wikipedia entry. Does anyone know anything about this or if it is true? I am wondering if this is true, would the episodes from Seasons 4-7 be edited for all the musical numbers. There were virtually no edits that I know of in the previously released Seasons 1-3 except for maybe a couple minor music cues. Of course, the Bradley Sisters performed plenty of songs in the episodes after Season 3. It would be interesting see what would be included if the rest of this series does get released.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't believe it until you see it.

We've heard nothing official yet, nothing from any trusted news sources, hell, Neil and Gary here with their insiders haven't said anything, and Neil would have done one of his cryptic guessing games by now for something like this.

So, hope for it, but don't expect it until someone says something official.But remember, it's an unsourced, unverified post on Wiki, and it sounds all wrong since CBS would usually pump it out season by season, not all at once.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
As has been mentioned in other threads, the latter seasons of Petticoat Junction have the issue of music clearances. Almost every episode has at least one popular song in it, including a couple that also have Beatles songs. CBS/Paramount has not exactly had a stellar record in the past for music clearances, unless they simply chop those scenes out.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Don't believe it until you see it.

We've heard nothing official yet, nothing from any trusted news sources, hell, Neil and Gary here with their insiders haven't said anything, and Neil would have done one of his cryptic guessing games by now for something like this.

So, hope for it, but don't expect it until someone says something official.But remember, it's an unsourced, unverified post on Wiki, and it sounds all wrong since CBS would usually pump it out season by season, not all at once.
I will believe it when I see it.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
As has been mentioned in other threads, the latter seasons of Petticoat Junction have the issue of music clearances. Almost every episode has at least one popular song in it, including a couple that also have Beatles songs. CBS/Paramount has not exactly had a stellar record in the past for music clearances, unless they simply chop those scenes out.
Very true. Music is the problem for this.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
While skeptical, I could sure use some good news about now with my car dying on me as I backed into my driveway a few hours ago.

So I hope it ends up accurate and if so, that it's not butchered to pieces. The final four seasons is one of the biggest holes in my tv-on-dvd collection.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
While skeptical, I could sure use some good news about now with my car dying on me as I backed into my driveway a few hours ago.

So I hope it ends up accurate and if so, that it's not butchered to pieces. The final four seasons is one of the biggest holes in my tv-on-dvd collection.
I hope it's true too.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
ME TV showed the last episode that Bea Benaderet appeared in last Saturday. She was in the episode for probably about a minute where she walked into Betty Jo's cottage while Betty Jo's being examined by her doctor in another room. Steve tries to stop Kate as he was stopped, but Kate's just keeps going and says, " I'm her mother", walks out of the scene. She had passed away a few days before this episode aired. That was her last appearance other then her voice and a body double when Betty Jo gave birth.

Last edited:

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I would love to see the rest of the series released, but worse come to worse, I have what I need. The best seasons of the show have been released, and the remaining four seasons I recorded off of MeTV. Frankly, the show's "jump the shark" came with Mike Minor and his awful singing. I wouldn't lose any sleep if CBS deleted his solos.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'd be happier if the series was to end short of the finish line, if we got season 4 first in restored form. I also prefer the earliest seasons. The pinnacle of the series was the first two seasons. But season 4 is still a solid season.

The show still has Kate and the crew of the Cannonball, Betty Jo still is a tomboy, there's still several episodes where the Cannonball is at risk of disappearing thanks to Homer Bedloe (Often my favorite episodes each season), Meredith MacRae is a top notch replacement (Although her Billie Jo has no resemblance to the earlier character), Uncle Joe still has plenty of get rich quick schemes, etc.

About all that's missing as I scan the episode list for examples of the types of episodes that worked so well in the early seasons, is the lack of an episode where the Shady Rest itself is threatened financially.

There's good episodes throughout all seven seasons. They just became fewer in number the longer the show ran. So ideally I'd like to see all seven seasons (An example of a good later episode is the one where Uncle Joe takes the baby to Sam's so that he can babysit and play poker at the same time, and gets arrested for gambling).

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
During the show's original airings my sister and I bailed in S5. Basically when it became apparent "Kate" was gone from the show (we were too young to know why - just that she was gone and it wasn't as good anymore). I'd purchase S4 "Just Because" but doubt I'd continue after that. I did not care for Meredith MacRay or Mike Minor and did not like the music they brought to the show.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I have the seasons of the show that I want, one and two. The further the show went, the worse it got, and once Bea Benaderet died, it really went downhill.
I agree to a certain extent. I don't think the last couple seasons were nearly as good as the earlier ones, especially with Bea gone. However, I do enjoy the musical numbers sung by the Bradley girls, Betty Jo getting married and Meredith MacRae as Billie Jo. Any chance of getting the entire series would still be nice.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
ME TV showed the last episode that Bea Benaderet appeared in last Saturday. She was in the episode for probably about a minute where she walked into Betty Jo's cottage while Betty Jo's being examined by her doctor in another room. Steve tries to stop Kate as he was stopped, but Kate's just keeps going and says, " I'm her mother", walks out of the scene. She had passed away a few days before this episode aired. That was her last appearance other then her voice and a body double when Betty Jo gave birth.
Very sad when she passed away.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I'd be happier if the series was to end short of the finish line, if we got season 4 first in restored form. I also prefer the earliest seasons. The pinnacle of the series was the first two seasons. But season 4 is still a solid season.

The show still has Kate and the crew of the Cannonball, Betty Jo still is a tomboy, there's still several episodes where the Cannonball is at risk of disappearing thanks to Homer Bedloe (Often my favorite episodes each season), Meredith MacRae is a top notch replacement (Although her Billie Jo has no resemblance to the earlier character), Uncle Joe still has plenty of get rich quick schemes, etc.

About all that's missing as I scan the episode list for examples of the types of episodes that worked so well in the early seasons, is the lack of an episode where the Shady Rest itself is threatened financially.

There's good episodes throughout all seven seasons. They just became fewer in number the longer the show ran. So ideally I'd like to see all seven seasons (An example of a good later episode is the one where Uncle Joe takes the baby to Sam's so that he can babysit and play poker at the same time, and gets arrested for gambling).
Agree. The earlier ones were the best, including Season 4, but even the remaining ones have at least a few episodes worth watching. Meredith is a good and beautiful Billie Jo and yes her character was perhaps different than Jeannine Riley or Gunilla Hutton, but the same thing was done with Bobbie Jo. Bobbie Jo's character was changed when Lori Saunders took over the role from Pat Woodell in Season 3.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I would love to see the rest of the series released, but worse come to worse, I have what I need. The best seasons of the show have been released, and the remaining four seasons I recorded off of MeTV. Frankly, the show's "jump the shark" came with Mike Minor and his awful singing. I wouldn't lose any sleep if CBS deleted his solos.
I don't know about his singing, but the Bradley girls did a nice job singing. I certainly wouldn't want those deleted.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn

I'm fairly content with the three seasons that have been released so far. It is mainly Kate and especially Uncle Joe that I enjoy the series for. But I would buy whatever season has the episode where Joe babysits and plays poker at the same time. Sounds like that episode alone would make it worth just about any price!

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I wouldn't call Mike Minor an "awful" singer. It's just that his type of music was not very "hip." He had a deep baritone voice. I guess the producers were trying to attract the same audience that watched "The Lawrence Welk Show."
The girls, however, sang more pop tunes. They actually recorded a few singles, and toured the country singing in local venues. I have a music CD of their unreleased tracks, and it's actually quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks