What's new

Petrocelli: The Complete Collection (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wish CBS would get back to the Gunsmoke releases as I only have three episodes left in Season 12 (Monday is my Gunsmoke night)! If not, I'll have to schedule something else in that Monday night slot.
Back when Columbia House was releasing LOST IN SPACE on VHS (mid 90s), they would send me two episodes per month. In order to never miss a weekly viewing, I sometimes had to watch half an episode or, heaven forbid, one forth of an episode. But I never missed a week...

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I did something I rarely do: I loaned my PETOCELLI DVD set to someone. Perhaps I can create another convert. But the set wasn't doing anyone any good sitting on my shelf.

I have a rule: never loan books. I loaned a book that had a precious inscription in it once; the guy apparently forgot he borrowed the book from me and sold it. So I never loan books. I either keep them or give them as gifts.

I expect to get my PETROCELLI set back. But it wasn't inscribed. And it figures I can always buy another one. We'll see.

What is your policy on loaning?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

If the show in question is something I like: I will ask the possible loanee if it's something that he/she would like to try, and if so, will then loan.

If it's not, I will generally see if I can give it away (which I have done with many an old show that failed to click with me).

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I rarely lend out DVD or Blu-rays...mostly because I don't know many "candidates" that would commit to watching them...among those that would want them, I trust even fewer in returning them safely...perhaps enemies only, as to quote Monty Burns (among others)..."keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer" ...ha, ha...seriously, discs seem to be forgotten as to their origin...I have had a few go missing from those I originally lent to...they had passed them on to others, or had them "lifted"...disappointing...

With books, NEVER...after I lent a much treasured antiquarian first edition to a University Professor...had to repeatedly request it's return...and upon finally getting it back,...the leather binding had a coffee ring stain on it...a learned Professor of tenure and some minor renown perpetrated this unspeakable act!

Alan, I hope you get your Petrocelli set back from an appreciative fan...with thanks that you have allowed their joyous discovery of this entertaining show...

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Alan, I hope you get your Petrocelli set back from an appreciative fan...with thanks that you have allowed their joyous discovery of this entertaining show...

The feeling is mutual on that score! And also to Alan, I do hope that the person to whom you lent your copy of that Petrocelli release enjoys that 1974-76 NBC series as much as you did.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I rarely lend out DVD or Blu-rays...mostly because I don't know many "candidates" that would commit to watching them...among those that would want them, I trust even fewer in returning them safely...perhaps enemies only, as to quote Monty Burns (among others)..."keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer" ...ha, ha...seriously, discs seem to be forgotten as to their origin...I have had a few go missing from those I originally lent to...they had passed them on to others, or had them "lifted"...disappointing...

With books, NEVER...after I lent a much treasured antiquarian first edition to a University Professor...had to repeatedly request it's return...and upon finally getting it back,...the leather binding had a coffee ring stain on it...a learned Professor of tenure and some minor renown perpetrated this unspeakable act!

Perhaps he was an "Absent Minded Professor". (Or possibly just boorish.)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I did something I rarely do: I loaned my PETOCELLI DVD set to someone. Perhaps I can create another convert. But the set wasn't doing anyone any good sitting on my shelf.

I have a rule: never loan books. I loaned a book that had a precious inscription in it once; the guy apparently forgot he borrowed the book from me and sold it. So I never loan books. I either keep them or give them as gifts.

I expect to get my PETROCELLI set back. But it wasn't inscribed. And it figures I can always buy another one. We'll see.

After a couple of bad experiences loaning "like new" books only to have them returned with dog-eared pages, stains, broken spines, and more, I no longer lend a book to anyone.

I have *two* people, both co-workers, who have the privilege of borrowing DVDs/BRs. They are fellow movie/TV fans who treat their collections with respect, remember where something came from, never "forward loan" a item, and return something in a reasonable time. I currently have a test loan to a third coworker but... I loaned my Lord of the Rings extended edition almost 3 months ago and he still hasn't watched the last movie. I'm pretty sure I'll eventually get it back (he's returned stuff to the other two with no issues) but don't like how long it's taking. I did loan the DVD, rather than the BR copy so there is that. But it's the discs (just the movies) from the original Extended Edition (4 disc) sets that's loaned - but not in the original cases. They're in a spare 6 disc case so I don't have to worry about packaging damage.

I've loaned to my daughter, who lives directly across the street from me, and have to ask repeatedly to get stuff back. In spite of growing up in my house she also doesn't treat them as well as I'd like. I tend to tell her "Just watch it over here."

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Yes, David B. Ferris...he was an absent minded Bastard, ha, ha...there's a special corner in Hell for such Barbarians...warmed by the eternal Hell fires fueled by the burning of all their own precious "Stuff"...at least that's what my fevered imagination comforts me by...

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
My younger brother once borrowed my Lord of the Rings paperback set that was in a slipcase/box. When he returned the books, the spines were caved in and the pages were flared out so wide that the books wouldn't fit in the box anymore. That's been 30-some years ago, but I'm not bitter. :D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I started S2 last night. I'm really enjoying revisiting this series!

On the subject of "reused scenes" I saw one rather unusual instance of a entire scene. The show opens with Petrocelli in court where he makes a appeal to the judge for letting him set the sentence. The judge says "OK. What would you do?" with Petrocelli saying "Fine him $100." to which the judge says "Well... I was only going to fine him $50." I was totally surprised at that one! Did you mention it Alan? I looked back but didn't see it, or just missed it.

Another scene which surprised me as one where he actually pulls up in front of the courthouse and puts money in the parking meter! He look a bit chagrined at doing so, but did it anyway.

And the house is now further along. Something that struck me with these rewatchings is *there's no framework* on the house! How does he plan to run wiring/plumbing/etc. in those solid brick walls? Was he planning on adding the framework *after* the brick walls are completed? I can't see that working very well.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm now nearing the end of the series and am watching the "Petrocelli: Action Hero" episodes. He seems to be transformed into more of a Police Detective role with all the chasing down suspects, tackling them, roughing them up, etc. going on. I don't think a single one of these has had a courtroom scene. A very odd choice for this series.

They've shown a few aerial shots of the house. I noticed there don't seem to be any type of utility (power/phone) poles anywhere near the property and certainly not by the trailer or house. I've not payed attention to this detail in other shots of the property and now want to go back to see if there is any visible means of power.

I also thought the 3 unaired episodes would be at the end of the set but they've apparently been inserted in production order as I've seen a couple that are between aired episodes.

I really wish the series had lasted at least long enough to see the house completed. I'd be interested in seeing how he got the floor and walls inside that brick shell.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Bumping this up: I had stated that last week, I purchased that all-in-one (more properly, a both-in-one, as it only lasted two seasons' worth [1974-76] on NBC) of Petrocelli. Well, I just earlier came into receipt of that, and the color scheme on the packaging of my copy is far different to the one that Alan (Carabimero) has on his copy of that same release. Mine is more blue-and-white, and the keepcase is contained within a larger cardboard box.

To Alan (Carabimero): did your copy of that Petrocelli release come with the keepcase inside that cardboard covering, or did you get just the keepcase?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I don't know about Alan's but mine is a single keepcase with no outer box. I purchased it about 6-8 weeks back.

Interesting-- mine, then, must be a later printing, as mine has a 2017 copyright date for CBS Studios, Inc.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Interesting-- mine, then, must be a later printing, as mine has a 2017 copyright date for CBS Studios, Inc.
Oddly enough, so does mine. It looks like the photo on the listing at Amazon and on VEI's site:
81FAmKm%2BAxL._SX385_.jpg

I made the purchase from Amazon on Feb. 22, 2017.

That's interesting that it's being sold in two different packages.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Oddly enough, so does mine. It looks like the photo on the listing at Amazon and on VEI's site:
81FAmKm%2BAxL._SX385_.jpg

I made the purchase from Amazon on Feb. 22, 2017.

That's interesting that it's being sold in two different packages.

Here's mine, in the blue-and-white scheme:

petrocelli.jpg

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Bumping this up: I had stated that last week, I purchased that all-in-one (more properly, a both-in-one, as it only lasted two seasons' worth [1974-76] on NBC) of Petrocelli. Well, I just earlier came into receipt of that, and the color scheme on the packaging of my copy is far different to the one that Alan (Carabimero) has on his copy of that same release. Mine is more blue-and-white, and the keepcase is contained within a larger cardboard box.

To Alan (Carabimero): did your copy of that Petrocelli release come with the keepcase inside that cardboard covering, or did you get just the keepcase?
Mine came with the cardboard. I remember checking to see if the formatting error on the back of the keepcase was also on the cardboard. It was.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks