What's new

Petrocelli: The Complete Collection (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks. I think it must be PETROCELLI that I am remembering unless another show contemporary with PETROCELLI employed the same technique.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Thanks. I think it must be PETROCELLI that I am remembering unless another show contemporary with PETROCELLI employed the same technique.
I don't recall one from that era that utilized that method. I have a distinct recollection of not having seen that in a TV show before seeing it in Petrocelli. But Petrocelli was one of a small handful of "detective/police" type shows I'd seen up to that point. The others being Perry Mason, Mannix, Hawaii Five-0, Honey West, The Mod Squad, and The Rockford Files.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks. I'm pretty sure memories of watching PETROCELLI with my mom are coming back to me. I remember her finding it amusing that the same scene could be so different simply because it was told from a different point of view.

Nice to know such memories are there, that all I need is the stimulus to trigger them.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Nice to know such memories are there, that all I need is the stimulus to trigger them.

Nice to hear that these episodes are bringing back your memories.

I want to mention that the final episodes of season two (discs 4 & 5) tweak the formula once again. Most of these eps. are not the traditional type of courtroom drama. In these, Tony is given some lawyerly things to do (work on a will, , hold an envelope to pass to someone else, prisoner pick-up, etc; not just be the attorney of record). Inevitably, something goes wrong. This puts Tony directly in the action and turns him more into an investigator/PI than a lawyer. Not sure if this was a network idea or what, but it does make for a more action intensive show.

I'm down to my last episode. Such great fun rewatching these and I still find this an exceptional take on the the Perry Mason formula.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, I have finished my set by watching The Pay Off; starring Victor French and featuring Whit Bissell and Mark Goddard. This episode was a return to form of multiple flashbacks. The twist was that the alleged murderer was Maggie's Uncle Roy (French) who was caught where he shouldn't be. Not a bad episode to end on as the subplot dealt with the camper in the impound lot (running gag) due to being illegally parked.

I just wished there were more shiny discs to place in my player. I am sure glad to have this set, great time rewatching these eps.

Have the Austrailan set of The Outer Limits in the mail (single sided discs :dancing-banana-04:). Guess that is what I will have up next.

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
What happened to THE INVADERS? Am I misremembering?

No, you're not.

So that I won't overdose on just one series, I alternate series by watching one disc, then moving to another one. I am starting with The Invaders ,The Flash (Shipp version), Perry Mason and then The Outer Limits. I do these on my own after work as my wife doesn't much care for b/w shows or sci-fi. Petrocelli was one that we can agree on.

As well, my son and I are working our way slowly through season 11 of NYPD Blue. It is just hard sometimes to find enough time. :lol:

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Talked to my mother tonight. Had an interesting conversation. She remembers PETROCELLI. What was even more interesting was her memory of me (at ten) saying I wanted to be a lawyer. She really thought I would grow up to be a lawyer, too, because, as she said, I could always find a way to win an argument. She also said I could never understand reasonable doubt, that I used to complain that Petrocelli would never prove his client innocent but rather show that someone else could have done it, and I never understood why that was enough to get them off. She said I was sometimes upset that Petrocelli didn't catch the guilty party.

My mom turns 81 in a couple months. Today I realized I need to call her more. Conversations like this are priceless, and time is running short.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Thanks for sharing that wonderful anecdote about your Mom, yourself and Petrocelli, Alan...I hope you have many more delightful years to come with your Dear Mother...she sounds brilliant, and could likely write for TV herself?

My Mom (and Dad) are long gone, but I'm sure I also had much the same kinds of discussions with my Mom as you had, Alan...only about 10+ years before and the shows concerned were Perry Mason and Trials of O'Brien (Peter Falk, 1965-66 CBS, wish that was on DVD)...oh, and Mom would have never let me become a lawyer, ha, ha...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Nice story Alan! God willing, my mom turns 84 in a couple of months and I still don't spend enough time with her in spite of living only 5-10 minutes away.

Later became sooner with my purchase of Petrocelli thanks to yesterday's $8.62 off a $50 purchase at Amazon. I snagged a copy of Petrocelli and The Allman Brothers Band "Idlewild South" 2 CD Deluxe Edition release (been wanting that as much for the expanded Idlewild South concert as the remastered original) to get just above $50 for the coupon. :)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Pete has grown on me. But he has no visible means of support. Where does he live? How does he pay his rent? With six packs?:cheers:

I've also noticed that they use stock footage with the actors. The two stock footage sequences I've noticed are 1) when Petrocelli is about to put up a bogus sign on his windshield to get out of paying for parking and sees the meter maid, then pays and smiles at her; and 2) when his wife drops him off, he gets out forgetting to kiss her and she says, "Hey!" Through disc 4 I have seen those sequences at least twice, perhaps three times each.

The producers could never dream of DVDs and their original ten-year-old viewer binging on the show 40 years later. Otherwise, with weeks between each episode, it's doubtful too many viewers noticed :)

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Wow Alan, you're really flying through the series! I limit myself to one per week, so I'm still on S1 - disc 3.

I've wondered the same about Pete. I think Tony said in one of the episodes that he paid Pete in "drinks & promises"...sounds about right! IMO, Albert Salmi was always great in whatever he appeared in. Did I also mention I had (have) a major crush on Susan Howard:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks