What's new

Petitions, OAR, and intent to buy (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
This showed up in another thread, but I thought it deserved its own discussion.
As most of you know, the Wonka petition got over 10000 signatires, while the Cats & Dogs one is still around 2000. Members here are imploring people to sign these petitions because "not releasing OAR is a crime against the film". While I'm all for OAR, I believe that signing a petition for a movie that you don't intend to buy is ultimately going to hurt the cause.
Put yourself in Warner's place. They decide to release P&S only of family titles because that's what their research indicates will sell better. Suddenly, there's an outcry about Wonka from people who want the disc in widescreen. 10000 signatures on a petition and many phone calls and letters later, they decide a WS version is feasible, and release it. If the people who signed the petition buy the disc, then they make money-WB is happy.
Suddenly, a 10000 signature petition for Cats & Dogs arrives, and they decide that a widescreen version of that is merited as well. They release it, and it tanks. Those that want P&S buy the P&S, and many of those that signed the petition ignore the disc cause the flick is a steaming turd. All of a sudden, WB who expected to sell at least 10000 copies of Cats & dogs in widescreen loses money, and all pull that we have for the future is gone.
My point is-this is something that should be done on a film by film basis. If people really want to buy cats & dogs in widescreen, then by all means sign the petition. But I think that signing the petition should indicate an intent to buy the disc. Neverending story-I'll buy that one in a second in widescreen. Harry Potter-guessing I'll want this one in widescreen too. Cats and Dogs-I could care less..
I guess the point of this long rant is-let's not shoot ourselves in the foot. WB has every right to release a P&S only product, and it's up to US to keep them happy about widescreen. If a WS Wonka or Cats tanks, then future films like Harry Potter may be in jeopardy. So the short of it:
-Only sign petitions for films you intend to buy
-Follow up on those by actually buying the film

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I understand what you are saying. However, I'd like to help the minority viewer group. Even if, for example, a small percentage of viewers want widescreen for Cats and Dogs, I don't think they should be left out. Taking it further - I do understand that economics are the bottom line for Warner - if they can't make money from it, then they won't do it (nor should they). On the other hand, I just don't think this is the case and I don't think they would lose money by creating widescreen and full frame formats.
I don't know - why can't Warner follow the ways of other studios who don't have these problems?
[Edited last by Dave H on August 26, 2001 at 02:35 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks