Petition : Warner & DTS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Quint van der Vaart, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart Second Unit

I am very dissapointed that Warner does not support DTS as most other studio's do right now.
    I am not saying that Warner does not release great dvd's because they do but I think that Warner could have more support from consumers when they include DTS on their dvd's.
    I think when they use DTS on a movie like The Matrix it would not be a loss.
    Now I would like to have your votes on this thread in supporting a request to Warner to start supporting DTS on selected titles.
    Also what is your opinion about this matter and please don't start the DTS VS DD debate again !!
    Thanks for your support [​IMG]

2. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

It's my impression that Warner does indeed support DTS on selected titles... But there haven't been many of them!

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Here's a list of DVD's that I think would benifit from a DTS version:

The Matrix

Amadeus

Superman: The Movie

Ben-Hur

2001: A Space Odyssey

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Amadeus DTS all the way.

5. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I would own a lot more warner titles if there was NO SNAPPER, and if there was DTS I would own at least twice as many.

You would be surprised how many times I've seen a movie on the shelf, but just decided I didn't need it because it was snapper and no DTS.

6. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    I would support DTS at Warner!

The Matrix

Amadeus

Harry Potter

Memphis Belle

Would all be great in it.

7. Quint van der Vaart

There are many titles from Warner that would benefit from dts.

The Matrix

Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone

Swordfish

Deep Blue Sea

The Perfect Storm

Romeo Must Die

Exit Wounds

Heat

and many more.

Warner should do something like Columbia Tristar's Superbit but with the extra's.

That would realy be great if they did that but I think they will never be smarter than they are now with that tight support of Dolby Digital.

8. Gerhard

Gerhard Stunt Coordinator

I also want Warner to start release DTS titles!
    HEAT in DTS NOW [​IMG]

9. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Some of these titles and more are great candidates for not only properly mastered (from un-dumbed down masters*) 24 bit DTS 5.1 encoding, but full 24 bit DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 re-mixing as well:

The Perfect Storm

Harry Potter films (full directors' cuts this time)

Superman The Movie DC

Superman II-- Richard Donnor's Cut

The Matrix Trilogy

The Art of War

Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen

Blade Runner DC

And the list goes on!

*I would also love it if WB didn't just do a half-assed DTS encoding either like their first attempts. Although they were full bitrate (yeah!), they came from less-than-stellar 20 bit masters (DTS can encode 24 bit word lengths) and they were more than likely manipulated and screwed around with for DD downconversion before encoding. This was a problem with Universal's first pressing of Jurassic Park on DTS DVD too, which they (for the most part) fixed. DTS does not use dial norm or bass re-routing or any other manipulation like DD can subject the soundtrack to, so the master used should be unaltered.

Please do right by your customers!

Dan

10. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Please don't construe this as thread crapping, but could I please register a vote against the inclusion of a DTS track which is mixed from almost identical elements as the DD mix. If the DTS is significantly different then I'm all for it. But, an almost identical 5.1 mix, inlcuded (taking a huge amount of space on the disc) at the expence of picture quality and volume of extras is not a good idea IMO. Since this is a studio feedback forum, disagreeing with other posts is NOT detrimental to the thread's purpose.

11. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I think, for the most part, that the fear of DTS messing up the video is pretty much at an end (although Paramount keeps using it as a thin excuse). I've seen PLENTY of high quality video transfers of long movies that had DTS or DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 tracks included. If the feature is short enough, even full bitrate DTS 24/96 can be used.

If the video supplements need to be on a second disc (or more) to make room, then by all means create sets like SuperBit Deluxe or the Vista Series.

Dan

12. Quint van der Vaart

I have to agree with Dan here Paul, some studio's still think that DTS damages video or other audio on a dvd while it's proven in so many cases that it does not matter if you include both options.
    The studio's are throwing lines like Superbit, Vista Series, Collector's Edition and many others to get the consumers to buy their product, and in many cases they use 2 discs.
    Why not use this option to include on disc one both Dolby Digital and DTS with audio commentaries were available and use the second disc to get all the nice extra's on it.
    Paramount , Warner and MGM use the excuse that DTS destroys their dvdproduct quality-wise when this realy is a stupid thing to say.
    Many other studio's like Fox and Dreamworks have used DTS on many of their products and they all were great releases.
    If you are reading this Paramount and especially Warner please look into the DTS option again, many dvd-fans will love you for it and it will not hurt sales either. [​IMG]
    Greetz,