PETITION to stop DVD studios from releasing those hideous multilingual DVD packages

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shane Bryant, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Shane Bryant

Shane Bryant Agent

As you may or may not know, some DVD studios have started releasing their DVDs with hideous French/English packaging in Canada.
    All of us Canadians would appreciate it if ALL of you would sign this petition.
    If you would like more information about the problem, feel free to email me at [email protected] or check out this thread

2. Kenneth Vestergaard

Kenneth Vestergaard Stunt Coordinator

3. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Well this was a good idea but as mention in the other thread here about bilingual cover, this is a no no:

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I agree with Rolando. If we must have French packaging available, do it on the flip side of the slip cover like Alliance had been doing, with a sticker on the shrinkwrap indicating it is there.

5. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

And maybe package half of them with french on the outside so that Hardcore Quebecians who do not want to succumb to the evil of the English Language can "Honor their language" when checking the specs while purists can still read the french cover to make sure it's widescreen and know that when they get home, they can just flip the insert to have the proper artwork.

6. Shane Bryant

Shane Bryant Agent

When I suggested having ALL french packaging, it was meant as having two packages... one that was ALL English and another that was ALL French - both of which would be available everywhere. I thought I was clear enough in the petition statement, but sorry if there was any miscommunication.

I too would be more than satisfied with reversible covers as well. Whatever is easiest for the studios.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

8. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Just wanted to clarify it,
    You see Shane the problem with a cover that is all French (no Enlglish on reverse) and another cover in English is that some stores might not carry both! STUPID as it might sound it happens just like separate Widescreen and Fullscreen releases.
    I have lived this repeatedly with Thrash-Mart uh, I mean Wal-Mart. I wanted to buy Dirty Rotten Scoundrels there since they had the better price ( by $2) but they only had "Deux fils de..."! The F*CK IS THAT???
    Going to another W-Mart was the same which means to me they actually CHOSE to only carry it with French covers. Don't bother trying to ask their oh-so helpfull staff for help. CLUELESS...
    "Do you have this with an English cover"
    "Uh..."
    "THIS MOVIE but with an Enlish Cover instad of French..."
    "Well... I don't... (holding disk) says here English and French tracks..."
    YES I KNOW it has an English AND and a French track but..."
    "I don't think so, it's only French cover"
    "I know both covers exist I just want to know if you carry both!"
    "If you did not see it next to it then..."
    "THANK YOU BYE!!!"
    [​IMG]
    Same thing happened at another chain with "The One".
    REVERSABLE COVERS!!!
    The Petition idea is great but it must emphasize this or I cannot sign and I thnk others feel the same. Thanks Shane and others for the help.

9. Martin Fontaine

10. Mathias Klemme

Mathias Klemme Stunt Coordinator

What the heck is wrong (or "hideous") about french, I wonder...?

11. Kenneth Vestergaard

Ehhh Matthias, have you ever seen a bilingual cover?

The spine has the title of the movie in both languages which:

1) looks cramped

2) means you can't see the title from a distance

Same goes for front and back, stating everything in both languages makes it look cramped and unprofessional, and it makes no sense making the cover reversible when both sides of the cover has a mixture anyways.

It's hideous because it's a mixture of both English and French. If they would just make reversible covers with an all-English and all-French side, the French cover would be fine for the few who would like that, and the majority which prefers the unspoiled English cover art has that.

12. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

13. Kenneth Vestergaard

No, I'm not anti-french. My DVD covers have always been in English and when some studio executive suddenly decides to put a mish-mash of French in between all of that, I call it English cover art being spoiled. Had it been the opposite it would have been French cover art being spoiled, but that's not the issue at hand.

I would like to add, what I do despise is various organizations trying to force the French language and culture down over the heads over as much of the Canadian population as possible, using everything that could even remotely classify as anti-French as an excuse.

14. Mathias Klemme

Mathias Klemme Stunt Coordinator

Kenneth, you're right. I just got Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back (canadian version) and indeed, it doesn't look very nice. A sticker on the shrink-wrap would suffice, I think.

15. Jean-Michel

16. Kenneth Vestergaard

Yes, and I stand by that formulation.

If the studios in France suddenly decided to write all of the movie titles of French movies in English as well as French on the covers, I would call it spoiling French cover art.

This is a case of adding French translations to a cover which was originally English, hence, spoiling English cover art.

17. Jean-Michel

18. Martin Fontaine

19. Shane Bryant

Shane Bryant Agent

I just purchased Dick Tracy today, and it was nice to see that instead of multi-lingual packaging, it just has the "Version francaise incluse" yellow circle as Touchstone used to.

20. David Mariez

David Mariez Auditioning

Read my posts on the thread that has as similar petition. The same thing is happening here...sigh.