Petition against Disney/Miramax/Dimension's Treatment of Asian Films

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew Brown, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Matthew Brown

Matthew Brown Supporting Actor

A petition is now available to protest Disney/Miramax/ Dimension's Treatment of Asian Films.
    http://www.petitiononline.com/warthkf/petition.html
    Even if you are not a fan of Hong Kong Cinema, I ask that you take a look and sign. Why? Because the original versions of certain movies are being kept from release in North America.
    A very good example is Jackie Chan's DRUNKEN MASTER II. It has been renamed, re-scored, dubbed and cut. You can not get this movie on DVD uncut with OAR and original soundtrack anywhere in the world. Perhaps if this was done to Amelie it would cause more of a stir?
    Not every movie that comes out of Hong Kong (or anywhere for that matter)is a classic that deserves special edition treatment but each movie does deserve to be shown how it was seen in theaters and/or how the director/filmakers envisioned.
    Yes, for the time being import DVD's can be purchased online but certain titles have already or may soon go out of print, leaving only the altered ones available.
    For more information and a list of cuts from some of the movies that have already been released by Miramax/Dimension try here http://www.hkfilm.net/disney/ .
    Matt

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Sounds like a good idea to me...

Jason

3. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    ór how about Miramax retitling a film like shaolin soccer as kung fu soccer, here's a hint, people think a name liek kung fu soccer immedieatly means a Z level film on the level of something like a disney channel remake (or sequel) of the Mighty Ducks. Shaolin soccer, even if most people don't know what shaolin means, sounds much more appetizing and not like a mary kate and ashley movie where they team up with the three ninjas and then the movie gets really bad. just putting the words kung fu in a title makes people think it will be a cheesy remake of a 70's film that wasn't all that great in the first place (cough rollerball cough).

4. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

5. Matthew Brown

Disney has effectively stopped pretty much all North American retailers from carrying movies they hold claim to. This is online and B&M stores. Some stores still have old stock but once it's gone, it's gone for good.

You may have noticed that Tai Seng suddenly dropped several DVD's from their catalog a few months ago. The majority of these were ones Disney held the rights to.

They are also trying to keep distributors like Universe from supplying these movies to online and mailorder retailers overseas. The only want their altered versions sold in region 1. They are also releasing their altered versions of many jet Li movies in the UK in April.

Matt

6. Matthew Brown

Thanks to everybody that's signing.

There are 935 signatures already!

Matt

7. John Sturge

John Sturge Stunt Coordinator

Wow, 1,260 SIGNATURES!

8. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Stunt Coordinator

Didnt i read somewhere that they were going to butcher "Bullet In The Head" after it couldnt get a R rating?.

9. Matthew Brown

From what I have been hearing, BULLET IN THE HEAD will be cut and dubbed. This is from 2 different sources I have.

Matt

10. Greg_D_R

Greg_D_R Stunt Coordinator

I've signed it, and I encourage all HTF members to do the same. Good thing I have my HK copy of SHAOLIN Soccer...

11. MaxY

MaxY Guest

I was number 1801!!!

I figured I really should sign it since I did after all just watch a Jet Li Film that was an absoulte awful dub job.

I love the way Columbia Tri-Star really offers everything you could want when they do Asian Films. It seems with many of their titles you can chose to see the US version of the Hong Kong version and it will even show you the matching credits and everything.

I am a fan of these movies and I really feel that voice-over dubs can steal the performance of an actor.

Max