Pete's Dragon problem...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mark_d, Oct 14, 2002.

1. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

I bought this movie about a year ago (see this thread: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...t=petes+dragon ).
    My daughter never got into it at the time but loves it now - but it hangs during one of the songs. Laura is singing atop a lighthouse about her lost love then the screen freezes. Pressing stop then play kicks it off at the point where it froze so there is a workaround, but I'd prefer not to have to this, obviously.
    Shipping back to A&B Sound in Canada is probably futile after a year of ownership - and I s'pose it could be a compatability issue...
    Known bug or bad disc?
    Regards,
    Mark

2. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Probably a bad disc. Mine has always played fine.

If you have a chance to check another player, do this as well.

Check disney.com/dvd for tech support.

3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Yes,
    call that 1-800 disney number in my signature and maybe they'll exchange it for you.
    Oh, while you're at it, but sure and tell them how much you appreciate the 16x9 WS OAR presentation...and how you'd *love* to buy Muppet Christmas Carol on DVD but only if it comes out widescreen. Make no mention of HTF, of course [​IMG]
    -dave

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I have Pete's Dragon, and know well the scene you talk about (my boy loves this film, too...as do I!).

No problems here. Not on my Panasonic A120, nor on my Mintek 2110. I'm sure you just have a bad disc.

Have you simply tried cleaning the disc and the player?

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I had freezing problems on my Pioneer DVL-909 with my original Pete's Dragon purchased the day it came out. I ended up exchanging it a week or two later and the new one played fine.

Regards,

6. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    I've got a different problem on my Pete's Dragon DVD. When we start the movie, it plays normally, but it never seems to end. It just keeps going, and going, and going...

7. Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez Supporting Actor

Jonathan,

Your copy is an accurate representation of the original theatrical experience.

8. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

Thanks guys.

I'll try cleaning, failing that see if I can find someone willing to try and find the bug on their player.

Hey - this PC has a DVD-ROM drive. Jeez, sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees...

Doh! :b

Mark

9. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

Hmmmm...

Seemed to play in the DVD-ROM drive OK when I skipped and forwarded to the scene, gave the disc a good clean, bunged it in the main player, skipped, forwarded, played OK. Just to make sure ffwd wasn't skewing the results I played from the beginning of the chapter and allowed it to run through. The dang thing hung again. I then got a grilling off the wife for going to bed so late...

I'll do more experimentation but for the time being I think it's a disc/player compatability issue given the nature of the problem.

Thanks again,

Mark