Peterson Leaving CSI?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Mikel_Cooperman, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I cant say I am surprised since he has voiced his discontent with the various CSI spinoffs.

From TVguide:

AT DEATH'S DOOR: The folks at CSI may want to prepare a slab for William Petersen's Gil Grissom. In the current issue of Playboy, the actor hints that his days of starring on TV's No. 1 show may be numbered. "We're just finishing our 81st episode — that's a lot," he says. "I'll do CSI until I legally don't have to do it anymore, which I think is at the end of next year. Right now, that's as long as I can foresee doing this show." Sounds like someone wants a raise.

2. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

And he should get one... He's the heart of the show. Otherwise it's just like the other mediocre spin-offs.

3. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

They should replace him with Ted McGinley.

4. Dave Kalloch

Dave Kalloch Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

5. Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad Supporting Actor

And over the shark we will go ![​IMG]

6. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Peterson's departure would end that show, and all the rest of them... If Thomas Harris had half a clue, he'd write another Will Graham role for Peterson to play... His Manhunter is Still the best of the Lectur films.

I prefer Ted's of Beverly Hills....

7. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

Damn. I hope he doesn't leave. [​IMG]

I totally agree.

8. DaveMcS

DaveMcS Second Unit

And next...on a VERY SPECIAL episode of CSI...... [​IMG]

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Didn't they have a shark in an episode...oh wait, that was CSI: Miami...

10. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

NO GRISSOM = NO SALE!

[​IMG]

Seriously, I agree with everyone else. It'd be the death of CSI if Peterson leaves. Bummer...

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Sounds like another David Caruso from the first years of NYPD Blue.

Give him 10 years and Peterson will be begging to star in a spinoff of whatever show is popular then...like David Caruso in "CSI: Miami." [​IMG]

12. Roger_R

Roger_R Second Unit

First of all it's PetersEn, a Danish/Norwegian last name [​IMG]

I have to agree with the rest that the show would suck without Grissom to deliver a witty remark just before the theme song starts. If he's leaving because of the spinoffs, I can understand him.. CSI: New York, how unimaginative can they be? If they were going to make a second spinoff, which would suck anyway, they should at least set it to a less used place...like New Orleans or perhaps San Fransisco.

13. Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell Supporting Actor

Steve
    If Petersen leaves, maybe Horatio Caine will relocate from Miami to Las Vegas. Wouldn't that be a treat? [​IMG]

14. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

I don't think so... He is not an actor who has ever seemed to CARE about stardom or even working for that matter...

Carusso was LUCKY to land NYPD... and was a FOOL to leave... Unfortunately he bought into his own press, and has been playing that "Im too cool for school" character ever since... Newsflash... it doesn't work for you Dave... "brooding and mysterious" turns into "A-Hole" after ten years of seeing it...

Petersen on the other hand has a wide range of talent. He isn't a slave to tabloid headlines or stardom, and in fact he seems to avoid both. He could quietly work the rest of his life in small character roles with no problem, and I get the sense he'd be happy doing so...

I honestly don't think this has anything to do with money. I think it's more about the time commitment that a weekly one hour requires, and I think he's getting bored with the character...

15. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey

I dont see it anything simular in him wanting to leave. He's been on the show, what 5 seasons and as stated over 80 episodes. Howe is that pulling a Caruso or Farrah or Suzanne Sommers. He isnt missing work or not showing up.He may want to move on and the Producers spinning off the show two times now is not helping matters either. I have read interviews with Peterson not being happy with what they are doing and who can blame him? They are sucking ideas out of this show and using them on other shows because they cant think of A New Idea.
    Also, the other difference is Petterson was established in movies before CSI and could very well go back to that.
    On the other hand it could be a ploy to get more money.
    Ya never know...

16. Parris

Parris Stunt Coordinator

If he does leave after next year I truly hope they gracefully end the series as well. Grissom cant be replaced and the show simply wouldn't have a soul if they did. I'd compare it to James Gandolfini leaving the Sopranos.

I've tried very hard to get into CSI Miami but I just cant. The characters dont grab me as they do in CSI and alot of that has to do with Grissom. The entire show revolves around him and the other characters would be lost without him. CBS please have some dignity and cancel CSI if Grissom leaves.

I will give CSI New York a chance but I fear it will be even worse than Miami [​IMG]

17. Peter Ohlert

Peter Ohlert Extra

CSI has been the No. 1 prime time show in ratings for a couple of years now. They're not showing sings of losing that position either. Since his contract is coming to an end after next year, they're probably going to start negotiations for a new contract during the coming hiatus or later this year once production on Season 5 starts. Like many before him, he's putting out the threat of walking away in order angle for more money. If he publicly says, "I love this show and the work and I'm going to do it for as long as they let me" it doesn't leave him a strong poisiton at the negotiation table.

That's my take at least.

-peter

18. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    And turn a great show into an unwatchable one.[​IMG]

19. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

I doubt it... I think that was the purpose of the whole "Hes going Deaf" plot a few years ago (which seemed to drag ON and ON and ON) He signed a new deal, and POOF... He got a cochlear (sp) implant...

No way in hell CBS will give up this cash cow... They'll grind it into the ground....

20. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

Thats a good take..and something I didn't think of until reading..but I have to say that I really don't think he could really be leaving, esp. since it does so well..man. I really hope this isn't true. Thursday nights will never be the same.