What's new

Peter's Friends? (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
This is about the only movie left on my Not-on-DVD wishlist, anyone out there have any idea what's holding this up? I can't think of any reason other than it must be stuck in rights hell, since it features a full-wattage cast. This was a co-production between several different companies, including Samuel Goldwyn. Anyone know who has the rights?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Directed by Branagh, written by Rita Rudner and her husband. A terrific holiday film, which includes (among other things) one of Emma Thompson's funniest performances, and Hugh Laurie and Imelda Staunton as a married couple, both of them now much better known than at the time of the film (they would later play a very different married couple in the Thompson-scripted Sense and Sensibility).

M.

Fabien Renelli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabien Renelli
Yeah, I remember now ! A very bitter sweet movie. I saw it on TV years ago and loved it.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I think Bravo,or one of those type channels ran this in a beautiful letterboxed version a few years ago.
Everytime, they ran it, I forgot and always tuned in too late to catch the entire film - Great movie! Would love to have this on dvd.
I think it is a Polygram film now controlled by Warners, who, sadly, controls too much.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I first saw it on cable and it still runs pretty regularly on Showtime/TMC. By my count it's been run in 3 sets (multiple showings in a 2 week period) this year already.

With actors like Branagh, Thompson (and her mum), Laurie, Staunton, Rudner and Stephen Fry I can't imagine they couldn't find some way to market it.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I believe you, Joe, but every time I've looked at this on cable, it's been the same VHS-era transfer. If there's a LBX version for broadcast, someone's keeping it locked up.

M.

Clay_E

Second Unit
It is (or at least was) available in Region 2 - bare-bones, but better than nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks