Peter Watkins' PUNISHMENT PARK on DVD (plus THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL DVD news!)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Roderick Gauci, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

I recently came across a website dedicated to the controversial British film-maker Peter Watkins (www.peterwatkins.lt), perhaps best known for his atomic war short THE WAR GAME (1965) - which should be released, along with Watkins’ CULLODEN (1964), on R2 DVD by the BFI in the upcoming months.
    The website features a lengthy discussion of each and every film Peter Watkins ever made. One of the films which particularly intrigued me was a little-seen political allegory set in the near future, PUNISHMENT PARK (1971). I was curious to learn if this has ever been released on DVD so I searched for any reviews on the indispensable DVD-Basen website. I was overjoyed to find out that the film had indeed been given a DVD release in France from Doriane Films last January. The disc is a Region 0 DVD but is NTSC encoded. Among the supplements featured on the disc, there are two short films by Watkins: THE DIARY OF AN UNKNOWN SOLDIER (1959) and THE FORGOTTEN FACES (1960).
    Anyway, the DVD-Basen directed me towards two reviews. One of these French DVD review sites, Devil Dead, lists an extensive schedule for upcoming DVD releases of sci-fi/horror titles on all regions:
    (http://www.devildead.com/indexfilm.php3?FilmID=267)
    Imagine my surprise when I found Robert Wise’s all-time sci-fi classic THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951) listed as being scheduled for a Region 1 DVD release on 9/17 with a couple of choice supplements to boot!:
    THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL
    French title : LE JOUR OU LA TERRE S'ARRETA
    USA - 1951
    Directed by Robert Wise
    Cast: Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Hugh Marlowe, Sam Jaffe & Billy Gray
    EXISTING DVD
    DVD Format: Double Layer
    Runtime: 90 minutes
    Release Date: 17 Sep. 2002
    Image Format: 1.33:1
    Sound Format: English (Mono), English (Stereo), Francais, Spanish
    Subtitles: English, Spanish
    Supplements: Audio Commentary; Featurette; Trailer; Photo Gallery
    I cannot vouch for the reliability of such information, but one hopes for it to be true. I have to admit that this piece of news came out of the blue for me because I was not expecting the long-rumored SE of THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL from Fox before 2003 at least!

2. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Re: Day the Earth Stood Still

That info is either bogus or it's a Region 2 release. Seeing as how we're already into August and this is a highly anticipated catalog title this would've been announced over a month ago if true.

Besides I believe it's been confirmed as not coming out until 2003.