Peter Tosh "Legalize It" on SACD - anybody got it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Malloy, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I've done searches on this forum and the other ones (even Google'd it), and have found zero reviews, impressions, or discussion about this classic album.

I see that it's also been remixed for multichannel. If anyone's got the SACD, I'd love to hear your impressions!

(Yes, yes, I plan to buy it, but my "SACD To-Buy" list is fortunately quite long, and I'm trying to set priorities so that I don't end up with another armload of "must-haves" every time I leave the record store!) :b

2. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Rich,

I have it also and also concur with Michael. A very good SACD if you like reggae.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Hay 'mon! I and I hab's it tuu. I like it's stereo mix better than the M/C. I'd buy it again, no regrets. Thunderbirds are go.

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I confess, I had no idea I'd get such promising responses! I only now realize that I've never heard the 1999 remaster, being that I was completely unaware of its existence and as it was my college roommate's (much older) CD that forms my most recent memories of that album... which are, uhhhh, not so recent anymore! :b

So, if you've only heard the pre-remastered disc, you'll understand why I had rather low-fi expectations for the SACD. Even the CD remaster sounds much better than my memories of that album!

Great to hear that it's an interesting multichannel mix, too! My weekly "to-buy" list just keeps getting longer and longer and longer...

6. Piers C

Piers C Stunt Coordinator

7. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

Yes, as you mention "results may vary" - as I really like the MCH mix.

To each his own.

8. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

And, of course, there's always the hi-res 2-channel mix if the multi-ch is not to my liking! [​IMG]
    Speaking of different mixes, has anyone compared the different two-channel mixes on the separate Carole King "Tapestry" SACDs? As you might know, this title was released twice, first as a two-channel only, then as a two-channel/multi-channel release. However, the two-channel mix on these discs are not the same (different engineers and everything). I'd heard that the original release, the two-channel only one, was closer to the original mix and preferred by the one or two folks who compared it. When I found the original one at a local Best Buy, I picked it up just in case it was being phased-out of production in favor of the second title.
    So (whew!), after all that, I'm wondering if any of you happen to have heard both mixes, and if you have a preference?
    [This should probably be a new thread, but I've started three this week already!]