Peter Sellers' "The Blockhouse" -- is it 2.35 or 1.66 on DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dan McW, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    A friend of mine who saw this in a theatre back in the '70s, and IMDb seems to back him up, swears this was shot in Panavision and should be 2.35:1 on DVD. However, the back of MGM's DVD says "1.66 DVD screen format." All Internet references list 1.66, and I can't seem to find a review of the DVD presentation anywhere.

If someone has the DVD, please tell me what the aspect ratio really is, as I'm considering buying it. I know MGM has had some courtroom issues involving aspect ratios, and this "screen format" listing that appears on so many releases may be connected with that.

I also know that many '70s films were 1.85:1 but bore a "Panavision" credit that on future films was amended to something like "photographed with Panaflex cameras by Panavision." IMDb often lists these films in error as being 2.35:1, but I don't know if "The Blockhouse" falls into this category.

2. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

I have the DVD, still unopened, I will check it later tonight.

3. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

It's definitely not 2.35. I watched it a month or so ago and I believe it was 1.85 or possibly 1.66.

4. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    Thanks, guys. I've checked with my friend again, and he maintains it was presented in 2.35:1 Panavision when he saw it originally.

5. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

I checked and it is NOT 2:35.