PETER SELLERS COLLECTION (01/21/03 Anchor Bay)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GlennH, Nov 23, 2002.

1. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I searched the forum but didn’t find any mention of this.
    Browsing the Anchor Bay website I see that on 01/21/2003 they will release THE PETER SELLERS COLLECTION box set, which looks similar to the recent Alec Guinness set.
    The box contains the following six movies:
    Carlton-Browne of the F.O.* (1959)
    Heavens Above! (1963)
    Hoffman (1970)
    I’m All Right Jack (1959)
    The Smallest Show on Earth (1957)
    Two Way Stretch (1960)
    * Only available in the box set. The rest will also be available separately.
    I’ve personally never seen any of these that I can remember. Any comments on them?

2. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    Of these films, I'm only familiar with I’m All Right Jack and Two Way Stretch, but based on my memories of those two I'll probably pick up the entire box.
    I'm thrilled to hear this news: I’m All Right Jack is a film I thought I'd never see on DVD.

3. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I'll be alright when I get this, too!

Seems the Alec Guiness Collection will be the source for Lavender Hill Mob, etc.

No Peter Sellers movie, but its worth noting that Anchor Bay has also been listing DEAD OF NIGHT for next year. Its another Brit classic, more of a horror film, but superb!

4. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    SMALLEST SHOW ON EARTH is a fine comedy for anyone who appreciates old cinemas. This is the story of a couple who inherit a decrepit theater in England - complete with dipsomaniac projectionist Sellers, concession stand matron Margaret Rutherford and ticket-taker Bernard Miles. Just full of funny nostalgia for anyone old enough to remember back before the age of the generic multiplex. The VHS copies of this film in circulation have been almost unwatchable, so I'm ecstatic A.B. is releasing it.

5. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Now if we could only get it for $25 from Amazon.ca like the Alec Guiness set.[​IMG]

6. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Heavens Above is probably the one about the humble minister who wreaks chaos by putting religion into practice, and his superiors eventally get rid of the problem by promoting him upward.
    [​IMG]
    Another fine Sellers comedy.

7. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Can't wait for this set. I just picked up 2 other Peter Sellers films from region 2, Wrong Arm of the Law & Waltz of the Torreadors, so I'm going to be in Peter Sellers heaven in 2003.

8. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Glenn, thanks for the info - I've been waiting to see which movies would be included in the collection. Looks good. I didn't expect it to come out so soon, though.
    Man, January just got really expensive! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Paul
    Here's hoping that this and the Alec Guinness Collection are successful enough to inspire the release of some of the non-big-name British comedies, like "Whiskey Galore/Tight Little Island" and "Passport to Pimlico."