What's new

Peter Pan & Wendy (2023)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Title: Peter Pan & Wendy

Genre: Adventure, Family, Fantasy

Director: David Lowery

Cast: Alexander Molony, Ever Gabo Anderson, Jude Law, Yara Shahidi, Alyssa Wapanatâhk, Jim Gaffigan

Plot: Live-action adaptation of J.M. Barrie's classic tale of a boy who wouldn't grow up and recruits three young siblings in London to join him on a magical adventure to the enchanted Neverland island.
The latest Disney live action remake has started filming in Vancouver.

Newcomer Alexander Molony will play Peter, while Milla Jovovich’s daughter Ever Anderson has been cast as Wendy.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have a difficult relationship with the Disney remakes because I think most of them are terrible. But I usually watch them anyway.

However, Pete's Dragon is one of the ones that I like, and David Lowry is a terrific filmmaker. I like all of his movies that I've seen, and he has demonstrated an ability to move seamlessly through genres and explore interesting ideas in new ways each time. Pete's Dragon is not like A Ghost Story which is not like The Old Man and the Gun, but they're all great films. So anything he makes is likely to get my attention.

Also, because there have been several adaptations of Peter Pan, it's not like a bad one (if it were bad) would sting quite as much as, say, the bad version of The Lion King did.

So I'll put myself in the "cautiously optimistic" category on this one

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
David Lowery's Peter Pan and Wendy will be released in 2023 on Disney+.

The Disney remakes have been extremely hit or miss for me. But David Lowery directed by far the best one in Pete's Dragon, which I love. I think he is one of the most interesting filmmakers working today. I loved A Ghost Story and The Old Man and the Gun and The Green Knight too, and it is especially admirable how different they are from each other. So I am curious to see what he will do with this. With another director, I might not care. But with Lowery, I'll watch it for sure.

Here is the poster via Disney social media:

Peter Pan and Wendy.jpg

The fact that the movie is already rated seems to indicate that it is either done or nearly done, so hopefully it will be earlier next year rather than later.

And more from Variety:

Last edited:

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I missed the first post, only just becoming aware about this right now. Looks like it has potential. The old Disney animated film I liked but it was never one of my absolute favorites growing up. I’ve always been a huge fan of Spielberg’s “Hook” and have always thought newer version of the original story would be cool. I remember being let down when that one from 2003 came out, and never bothered with that one that was called “Pan” from a few years ago. I’ll give this one a shot but will try to not get too excited.

I didn’t notice him in that trailer but IMDb says Jim Gaffigan is Smee. Can’t wait to see him do that!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Here's the thing: it doesn't look terrible to me. Nothing egregious is sticking out in the trailer and, being the guy I am, my fiance and I will watch it.

Is this a movie we need? Probably not. Does it have potential? Sure.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A much more generic poster design than the first one via Disney social media:

Peter Pan and Wendy.jpeg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Ever Anderson is marvelous casting as Wendy. They caught her at the perfect age for the role, too; right on the cusp of adolescence. I don't know how good her English accent is, but it's definitely not bad enough to be a distraction for me.

There isn't enough Peter in the trailer for me to get a good read on Alexander Molony's performance. I do wish they'd been a little less faithful to the animated Disney Peter Pan with his costume; in my opinion, Peter should always be a bit wild and a bit feral, and this Peter with his combed hair and immaculately clean hat feels too civilized. The drawing of Peter as a child in Hook always got the closest what I pictured in my head: Hair never combed, clothed in nature and leaves rather than fabric and tights, part faerie.

John and Michael look perfect, though.

I love that Jude Law's Hook feels completely different from the other live action Hooks, too.

I'm surprised the Indians are still included, given the fraught cultural sensitivities at play. They're particularly challenging to get right in this story, because it's not like there's a more authentic reference point to go back to; Tiger Lilly's tribe aren't any real Native American tribe, they're what a young lad raised in Edwardian England on stories of Cowboys and Indians imagine them to be. The same is true of Hook and his men; they're what boys imagine pirates to be more than they are what pirates actually were. Regardless, I don't think we can expect "What Made the Red Man Red?" this time around.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm surprised the Indians are still included, given the fraught cultural sensitivities at play.

I see your point and agree that they will have to be portrayed differently than in the animated film. But Hook kidnapping Tiger Lilly is a key plot point that drives a lot of the story, so I'm not sure how you could eliminate them altogether.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Is this a theatrical release or is it going straight to Disney+?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Weird. I couldn't find that old thread when I made this one.

Moderators are welcome to combine threads.

Edits: Thanks, mods.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yes, this was greenlit specifically for Disney+ and was never intended to go elsewhere.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think having girls in the "Lost Boys" is problematic, but not for the reason given.
Having girls in there sets up a dynamic that dilutes Wendy's reason for being there.

That tweet by someone complaining about Wendy being made a strong leader in the now deleted article had me thinking ?????.

I mean thatbis the whole bloody point of her being there. She was supposed to be a strong leader from the maternal point of view, because she was supposed to provide structure as.a mother figure that Peter Pan was unable to provide.

After all, the original play was written in a time where Fathers were less involved with the direct raising of their children than they are now.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I missed the first post, only just becoming aware about this right now. Looks like it has potential. The old Disney animated film I liked but it was never one of my absolute favorites growing up. I’ve always been a huge fan of Spielberg’s “Hook” and have always thought newer version of the original story would be cool. I remember being let down when that one from 2003 came out, and never bothered with that one that was called “Pan” from a few years ago. I’ll give this one a shot but will try to not get too excited.

I was disappointed in Hook. The opening sequence showed a lot of promise, but the rest of the film let me down (other than some of the performances). I really liked P.J. Hogan's 2003 version, though. Never saw Pan, either.

This I'm interested in because of David Lowery. For that matter, it was Hogan that made me interested in seeing his version, as I'd loved his earlier Muriel's Wedding.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
They showed every possible scene in that trailer so you would have no visual surprise watching the movie. :lol:

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks