What's new

Peter Pan on DVD (1 Viewer)

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
With the new version coming out shortly. Will it be worth it to pick up the older version before it goes out of print?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
For one, the old one's already out of print. But why would you want it? Assuming the picture and sound quality are as good for the new one - and that's a reasonable assumption - why would someone want the old version?

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
And there's a good chance that video and audio will even be better - the DD 5.1 is an upgrade over the old disc's 4.0 sound and the new disc will even give you "Full Color Character Artwork on Disc" plus *MORE* extras! :eek:

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I wasn't sure if the value would increase since a majority of OOP Disney titles due. Well, maybe not quite that many.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't sure if the value would increase since a majority of OOP Disney titles due. Well, maybe not quite that many.
Good rule of thumb: when a DVD is replaced by something unilaterally seen as an improvement, the old one's value tanks. Exceptions include altered aspect ratios (the fullscreen Wonka last summer) or missing features (such as the deleted scene available on the original Little Shop of Horrors but not the reissue). Pan CAN'T lose any features, and it's aspect ratio won't change. There'd have to be a terrible drop in picture or sound quality for the old one to remain appealing. I seriously doubt that'll happen...

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I thought that the picture quality was SO POOR on the ld DVD - the new one HAS to be better - now if Disney would just give us a better Pinochio!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I sold my old DVD version (Limited Edition) at Amazon Marketplace a few months ago, after the SE was announced. I think I made about what the new one will cost me. Essentially a free upgrade.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I thought that the picture quality was SO POOR on the ld DVD - the new one HAS to be better - now if Disney would just give us a better Pinochio!
Pinocchio (the DVD, I haven't seen the LD) actually isn't that bad! The image is extremely clean save for photographed-in cel dust (which can only be removed digitally) and a handful of instances where you can see the texture of the paint on cels. The color is the usual excellence Technicolor films have. Heck, it's an 88 min. film put on 2 layers! Even Snow White didn't use 2 layers, yet looks great.

An SE would be nice if Disney gave it the Dumbo treatment. Perhaps a few extra cartoons, John Canemaker commentary, production art, making-of featurette, music-only track, Lowry Digital Images restoration (removing the cel inperfections only!), and the Disneyland intro for the film.

I bet the same treatment is going for Peter Pan that Dumbo got.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Patrick,
I don't think Joe was complaining about the "cleanliness" of either the Peter Pan or the Pinocchio transfer so much as the "correctness" of them. I am presuming this because of previous discussions that are past their archive date, not trying to read too much into his post.
The hand painted look and texture of the Pinocchio backgrounds was altered via dirt and grain removal techniques in the video realm. It's hard to believe that Pinocchio could look even more refined and detailed, but it could! :)The Bambi THX laserdisc had many of the same problems. Peter Pan suffers from faded (I could tolerate) and inconsistent (the dealbreaker) colors. To be fair, all three of the above look sharper and cleaner than their previous video masters despite my misgivings.
Hopefully, the new one will fix all of this. I would rather have it look a bit grainy with some mild noticeable film artifacts such as the recent Dumbo DVD. Of course, if they went the whole nine yards with the latest and greatest video clean-up techniques such as the Snow White Platinum DVD, I would not complain either.
Regards,

Derek U

Stunt Coordinator
According to the review on DVDFILE, the transfer is the same as on the movie-only disc, and the new 5.1 soundtrack isn't much better than he original 4.0. Also, the only extra that looked like it had any substance was the audio commentary by Roy Disney, so I think I'll probably hang on to the movie-only disc.

Derek

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Derek,

Thats my feeling also after reading the DVDFile review. I just need to pick up Dumbo and Aristocats and I think my Disney collection is done. I am missing a few others but Im not interested in them.

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
I dunno Derek...

The sad fact is that I bought the original DVD and only watched the first fifteen minutes of it....Anyway, this new DVD presentation appears much cleaner than the previous THX, CAV laserdisc and the same as the previous DVD....While the print on the LD was really nice, this new DVD just seems to be a bit cleaner and sharper....This is the finest presentation of Peter Pan yet released on home video, period.
Seems to me that this reviewer doesn't really have a leg to stand on when comparing to the Limited edition disc. He only watched the first fifteen minutes, and admits it. Hardly enough knowledge to make comparisons such as "The 5.1 sound is no different from the 4.0 on the original disc. I guess that if you want to hold on the the original disc more power to you, but I wouldn't go by this poor review. (IMO)

-Chad

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry...

Next time I won't dig out the old LD, and go over the disc with a fine tooth comb.

I'll write up a brief sypnosis of the story, and totally half-ass my way through the video and audio review portion of my review, stating nothing. (For the bonuns round I won't set up reciever correctly.)

Then I'll look at the supplements on the packaging, and write up a review about them, without watching them.

Plus, I'll alter my writing style to refelct my personal opinion about a studio becasue the aren't willing to sned me free product.

The 5.1 and 4.0 mixes aren't any different, all Disney did was duplicate the mono-surround track into a stereo-mono surround track.

Daniel L

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
I think that there is a little misunderstanding.
I was attempting to point out to Derek that the bulk of the review was compared to the LD and not to the first DVD. Maybe my post was loosely constructed and ended up sounding harsh, but that wasn't my intention.
Unfortunately it is hard for me, and others, to take your comparisons of the DVDs seriously when you come right out and state that you haven't watched more than 15 minutes of the first disc.
Believe me I am grateful to have to review at all, I was just expressing my opinion that you lost a little credibility by not comparing the discs.
If you had just not said it, no one would have been the wiser. :)
-Chad

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
I'll get this as well. I was just wondering about one detail from the review:

The only subtitle options included on this disc are true English Close Captions.
I was a bit puzzled by this. True close captions? Does this mean that the captions are encoded into the video stream and need to be decoded by a closed captions decoder, or is it DVD subtitles which include sound descriptions? My money is on the second, as this is how Disney has always done it in my experience.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
And I have to wonder, what designates specific Disney films for "Platinum" status?
A note to the reviewer, since he seems to have posted to this thread. Disney's Top 10 All-Time Selling Video Titles (as of 2000) comprise the "Platinum Collection". Sure there are Disney titles which I feel are more deserving of special treatment, but Disney chose the ones that have sold the best.

And with regards to Colin's review of "Atlantis" at DVDMG, "Beauty and the Beast: Special Edition" is simply the title of the IMAX version of the film. It should still be called a "Platinum Edition" DVD. Just like the "Coming Soon" Lion King: Special Edition page is referring to its IMAX re-release and not calling its DVD release that. The sneak peek was probably just referring to "SE" in the George Lucas sense of the term.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks