Peter Pan on DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donnie Eldridge, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

With the new version coming out shortly. Will it be worth it to pick up the older version before it goes out of print?

2. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

For one, the old one's already out of print. But why would you want it? Assuming the picture and sound quality are as good for the new one - and that's a reasonable assumption - why would someone want the old version?

3. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

And there's a good chance that video and audio will even be better - the DD 5.1 is an upgrade over the old disc's 4.0 sound and the new disc will even give you "Full Color Character Artwork on Disc" plus *MORE* extras! [​IMG]

4. Donnie Eldridge

I wasn't sure if the value would increase since a majority of OOP Disney titles due. Well, maybe not quite that many.

5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

6. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I thought that the picture quality was SO POOR on the ld DVD - the new one HAS to be better - now if Disney would just give us a better Pinochio!

7. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I sold my old DVD version (Limited Edition) at Amazon Marketplace a few months ago, after the SE was announced. I think I made about what the new one will cost me. Essentially a free upgrade.

8. Alex S

Alex S Second Unit

When does the SE come out ?

9. Donnie Eldridge

Two weeks for now 2/12/02.

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Patrick,
    I don't think Joe was complaining about the "cleanliness" of either the Peter Pan or the Pinocchio transfer so much as the "correctness" of them. I am presuming this because of previous discussions that are past their archive date, not trying to read too much into his post.
    The hand painted look and texture of the Pinocchio backgrounds was altered via dirt and grain removal techniques in the video realm. It's hard to believe that Pinocchio could look even more refined and detailed, but it could! [​IMG]The Bambi THX laserdisc had many of the same problems. Peter Pan suffers from faded (I could tolerate) and inconsistent (the dealbreaker) colors. To be fair, all three of the above look sharper and cleaner than their previous video masters despite my misgivings.
    Hopefully, the new one will fix all of this. I would rather have it look a bit grainy with some mild noticeable film artifacts such as the recent Dumbo DVD. Of course, if they went the whole nine yards with the latest and greatest video clean-up techniques such as the Snow White Platinum DVD, I would not complain either.
    Regards,

12. Derek U

Derek U Stunt Coordinator

According to the review on DVDFILE, the transfer is the same as on the movie-only disc, and the new 5.1 soundtrack isn't much better than he original 4.0. Also, the only extra that looked like it had any substance was the audio commentary by Roy Disney, so I think I'll probably hang on to the movie-only disc.

Derek

13. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Derek,

Thats my feeling also after reading the DVDFile review. I just need to pick up Dumbo and Aristocats and I think my Disney collection is done. I am missing a few others but Im not interested in them.

14. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

I dunno Derek...

15. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

Sorry...

Next time I won't dig out the old LD, and go over the disc with a fine tooth comb.

I'll write up a brief sypnosis of the story, and totally half-ass my way through the video and audio review portion of my review, stating nothing. (For the bonuns round I won't set up reciever correctly.)

Then I'll look at the supplements on the packaging, and write up a review about them, without watching them.

Plus, I'll alter my writing style to refelct my personal opinion about a studio becasue the aren't willing to sned me free product.

The 5.1 and 4.0 mixes aren't any different, all Disney did was duplicate the mono-surround track into a stereo-mono surround track.

Daniel L

16. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

I think that there is a little misunderstanding.
    I was attempting to point out to Derek that the bulk of the review was compared to the LD and not to the first DVD. Maybe my post was loosely constructed and ended up sounding harsh, but that wasn't my intention.
    Unfortunately it is hard for me, and others, to take your comparisons of the DVDs seriously when you come right out and state that you haven't watched more than 15 minutes of the first disc.
    Believe me I am grateful to have to review at all, I was just expressing my opinion that you lost a little credibility by not comparing the discs.
    If you had just not said it, no one would have been the wiser. [​IMG]
    -Chad

17. Terrell

Terrell Producer

I'll definitely pick this one up.

18. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I'll get this as well. I was just wondering about one detail from the review:

19. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Whoops! Response was out of context (wrong disc) - post deleted. Sorry for wasted bandwidth.