What's new

Peter Pan Live! on NBC 12/04/14 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Two things that came to mind while watching.
One was when Hook introduced himself to Wendy I almost thought he was going to say his name was "James T. Hook"

Also when Pan was asking the kids to clap for Tink it was nearly 10:30 at night. How many kids were still up watching this?

I did really like the last segment. That part always gets me a little misty.....

I did like Minnie Driver as the older Wendy. I guess she was also the narrator and I didn't know it until she showed up at the end.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TonyD said:
Also when Pan was asking the kids to clap for Tink it was nearly 10:30 at night. How many kids were still up watching this?
I think that dimmed the ratings somewhat. I realize it's not currently popular to program major events on Friday or Saturday, but since schools are still in session, I don't know of many kids that would be up and watching a "family" event until 11PM. It either should have been broadcast on a weekend, or NBC should have waited until schools are out for the holidays. I'd imagine they projected a drop from TSOM, but 50% is a pretty steep decline.

The casting of a female as Peter Pan also killed my interest in this production. There's no reason they couldn't have cast a young-looking male actor.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Someone at SNL has been reading this thread. :)Christian Borle (who was on the show Smash and in TSOM) played both Smee and Mr. Darling.Agreed about putting on a children's show so late on a school night. My son did watch some of it, but had to be at school at 6 am the next day for a field trip.On a semi-related note, I saw an ad for an upcoming medieval musical comedy miniseries on ABC called "Galavant" with tunes by Alan Mencken. Could be cool. . .

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Aaron Silverman said:
Someone at SNL has been reading this thread. :)Christian Borle (who was on the show Smash and in TSOM) played both Smee and Mr. Darling.Agreed about putting on a children's show so late on a school night. My son did watch some of it, but had to be at school at 6 am the next day for a field trip.On a semi-related note, I saw an ad for an upcoming medieval musical comedy miniseries on ABC called "Galavant" with tunes by Alan Mencken. Could be cool. . .
Galavant looks hysterical.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Enjoyed Peter Pan. First broadcast had terrible sound/synch problems. Apparently NBC affiliates can set their own rules because we just got the replay Dec. 13th, but sound issues were fixed.
I didn't get the feeling it was a "live" performance, obviously watched a recording, I'm not that dense ;)
But seemed more like a standard TV movie. Multiple cameras, special effects, etc. Maybe a little editing to fix flubbed lines? Although no attempt to hide the "flying" wires.Biggest complaint would be the colors, just so vibrant and over the top. Makes me wonder if Disney was involved in this. Sets, costumes and lighting all could have been dropped down a few notches.For those who haven't seen it, they're repeating The Sound of Music next week. Much more of a stage style show.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It was announced at the NBC conference with critics this week that The Wiz will likely be their next musical rather than The Music Man.

I would be VERY enthusiastic to see a good live production of The Wiz since the movie was so disappointing.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Oh yes. That music really deserves a better production. There's no need for any more failed attempts to top Robert Preston.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Craig Bierko came in 2nd--but, then, he was basically just doing a Preston impersonation.

I saw the Broadway production while Bierko was in it. It was absolutely terrific. High energy. The finale was incredible. But anyone ever trying to compare with Preston will pale.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mike Frezon said:
Craig Bierko came in 2nd--but, then, he was basically just doing a Preston impersonation.

I saw the Broadway production while Bierko was in it. It was absolutely terrific. High energy. The finale was incredible. But anyone ever trying to compare with Preston will pale.

I saw Craig's replacement Eric McCormack who did it during one of his summer hiatus periods from Will & Grace. He was superb: high energy, very good singing voice, and wonderful chemistry with Rebecca Luker.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Well, actual theatrical productions are a different story. I can see Robert Preston on my TV screen any time.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Matt Hough said:
It was announced at the NBC conference with critics this week that The Wiz will likely be their next musical rather than The Music Man.

I would be VERY enthusiastic to see a good live production of The Wiz since the movie was so disappointing.

Remaking TV musicals is like remaking movies: Don't remake good productions, remake BAD productions that got it wrong the first time, like Annie!

And the Wiz certainly falls under that one-chance-bungled category. (Never saw the original 70's production, but I saw the time the original cast did excerpts on NYC's local Wonderama.)

I wasn't bothered so much by the movie having Diana Ross instead of a little girl, so much as that Sidney Lumet, having no sense of humor, didn't really know what to do with Tony Walton's wild design, and it just came off sort of..........disturbingly weird. :blink:

(Think at one point Disney/ABC was thinking of doing a Wiz TV-production, but it somehow ended shelved, and eventually morphed into having a black Dorothy in "Muppet Wizard of Oz".)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Ejanss said:
I wasn't bothered so much by the movie having Diana Ross instead of a little girl, so much as that Sidney Lumet, having no sense of humor, didn't really know what to do with Tony Walton's wild design, and it just came off sort of..........disturbingly weird. :blink:

Absolutely. He also had no idea how to pace a musical.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Aaron Silverman said:
Absolutely. He also had no idea how to pace a musical.

The idea of "But he knows New York!" seemed to overshadow the fact that he rarely uses music in his movies...

As for NBC, given the suspiciously timed sudden change of project's fortuitous proximity to the Annie remake, anyone want to put easy bets down what gave them the idea and who they're probably considering as Dorothy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks