What's new

Peter Pan disc problem (1 Viewer)

Stephen L

Second Unit
After dinner tonight our family sat down to watch Pete Pan but came away with some problems with our disc. In chapter 24 when Pan & everybody is back in Hangmans Tree the picture breaks apart for about 10 seconds.As the disc enters chapter 25 it completely locks up , I can't FF or reverse.I have a Toshiba 1600 that hasn't had any problem playing any of our 175 or so DVDs. Anyone else having this problem or is it just my DVD?

Rob T

Screenwriter
Hopefully, it's just your disc because I think I have that same model. I'll be picking it up either tomorrow or Thursday so I'll see by then. :)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just watched mine from chapter 22 to the end

with no problems, and I have a 2-3 year old

Sony DVP-C600D D disc DVD player. If it

was an authoring glich, I would think it would

lock up on my player.

Mark

Stephen L

Second Unit
Looks like I just got a bad disc as the picture breaks apart in different chapters last night as the kids watched Pete Pan . Back to the store tomorrow to exchange it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just want to add I watched the movie tonight from beginning to end on my Toshiba 1600 and it played perfectly.

In fact, I thought the transfer looked awesome--almost at Snow White quality.

One question though...and I'm sure folks here will have a good answer. Why put a layer change at 1:02:10 in a movie that is just 1:11:00 long? Was it necessary? Did they get the maximum amount of information on that one layer (which was apparently 1:02 of the movie) and HAVE to switch to the other layer?

Too bad they couldn't have avoided it since there was only about nine minutes of film left.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
My brother rented a copy and it flat out did not play. He could watch the extras but not the movie. So he bought a copy and it did the same thing. He said something about the counter showing "9" then skipping to "22" but the movie did not play.
Any ideas why?

Mick Wright

Second Unit
Peter Pan locked up my player (Pioneer dv-343) after the FBI warnings, I had to unplug my player to reset it. I may try a new disc later today.

Heinz W

Second Unit
No problems on my Sony S360. Never met a disc it didn't like- so far anyway. People with the same player, and of differing brands to boot getting different results sounds like bad batch of discs.
Why put a layer change at 1:02:10 in a movie that is just 1:11:00 long? Was it necessary?
I'm not sure that IS a layer change. It kind of looks like either a fade out/in or maybe the reel change... Anyone know for sure?
I do think the transfer is gorgeous though! :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure that IS a layer change. It kind of looks like either a fade out/in or maybe the reel change... Anyone know for sure?
I'm using a SONY STR-DE445 and my Multi-Channel Decoding Light blinks off at that point. That's something that always happens momentarily at a layer change. That's why I called it that. Would be curious to hear other opinions though.

Heinz W

Second Unit
That's very well possible Mike. The picture goes black at that point so it's extremely hard to tell visually (ie, a momentary freeze in the picture) whether or not it's a layer change.

It wouldn't surprise me if in fact Disney did put a layer change in Peter Pan just so they could cram one more preview or game onto the disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks