Peter Jennings RIP

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by James_S, Aug 7, 2005.

1. James_S

James_S Second Unit

A Great American even though is was born in Canada. But became an American Later.

MSNBC Link

GODSPEED MR. JENNINGS

2. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

One of the giants. Welcome home, Mr. Jennings.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Wow. I mean, I knew he had lung cancer, but this comes as a real shocker to me. I wish his family and friends the best in this troubling time.

4. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Rest in peace, Peter. [​IMG]

5. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

My father passed away from Lung cancer too several years ago. It is a truly terrible disease. God bless Mr. Jennings and his family.
    We will miss him. One of the best.

The world just seemed to get a bit less together, if you know what I mean. He was someone I could always trust to help keep us all informed and someone I could count on. I just feel alot older tonite.

[​IMG] RIP, Mr. Jennings

6. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

This was no shock, after he announced his cancer, for anyone who has gone through this in their family, it is a horrible form of cancer that can be monstrously quick, as his rapid passing shows.

It's not true though, what I said....it is a shock.

RIP Mr. Jennings, I always liked you.

7. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Although I always watch NBC for my nightly news, on Sept. 11th, Peter Jennings is the one that I stuck with on that day. He is the one that made me feel the most connected to the situation. RIP Mr. Jennings.

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

It's SO true. Peter had such a "fatherly" presence that his reporting didn't feel cold and sterile. It felt like a family member was giving you the news.

9. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Wow, I'm feeling this one. I'm very sad today.

Very sad. He died in a manner not unlike my father a couple of years ago.

I literally grew up with Peter Jennings in my house since day one. I'm 29 years old now, so I remember the days of Peter Jennings teamed up with Frank Reynolds and Max Robinsion and then the day Peter became the top guy.

The memory I have of him that still gives me goosebumps was, of course, 9-11.

Here was the ultimate, consumate professional journalist right? Ice man, no emotions, super professional? But like others are saying, he always had an approach that was never cold nor sterile. Very true!

And 9-11 was SO hideous and earth shattering that even HE choked up on the air when he talked about making contact with his kids and seeing that they were alright.

You forget sometimes that,yes, these journalists are indeed human beings and during something like a 9-11, it was nice to see the "journalist facade" dropped and see them allow themselves to BE human beings on the air.

I always respected Jennings before that day, but after that, I had even more respect for him and even a warm place in my heart, especially since I'd "grown up" with him.

Jennings was a comfort and a steady source on 9-11 under truly impossible conditions.

I felt a special gratitude and warmth in my heart for him after that day. I know it sounds corny, but it's true.

Jennings' approach was someone I could always respect and take seriously. This is a big loss today for the news world. Hell, it's just a big loss, PERIOD.

It almost does feel like a family member or a friend is gone today. Real close to home.

10. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron
  11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

If I read correctly, Jennings won a Peabody for his round-the-clock coverage of 9/11.

RIP, Mr. Jennings.

12. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Such a recognizable voice, when he spoke, I always knew it was him.

Res in Peace...67 is still too young.

13. Ric Bagoly

Ric Bagoly Producer

Very sad. RIP Peter, you were one of the greats...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    At the very least, he left a long lasting legacy that future journalists will have to aspire to.

I used to watch world news tonight many years back, and always enjoyed his boadcasts. [​IMG]

He will be greatly missed, but not forgotten.

15. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

I got to meet Peter Jennings back in 2000 when I went to a John McCain rally, he was the coolest guy, posing for photos and signing autographs and he was very accesible. It freaked me out to hear he had cancer, but I thought if there was one guy who could beat it, it was Peter. And I heard he was hanging out around the ABCNews place and working with them still on a nearly daily basis. Then I heard he died. The just saddened me. We lost one of the true voices of the Nightly News department, he was one voice we could rely on and know that we were getting good answers and facts. He was always involved in all sorts of reporting apart from the Nightly News, I remember a number of years back his trip to the Middle East to retrace the last days of Jesus, before that was even popular. Looking over at Amazon he wrote a ton of books on kids and America thru the ages and such.

It's a tough loss and my thoughts and prayers go out to Peter's family.

16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I was always an NBC man. When news happened, it was always Tom Brokaw's face that I tuned into. And yet, in the days since Peter Jenning's passing on Sunday I have seen things and heard stories, from the top journalists and government brass to my co-worker at work, that have caused my respect for who he was grow considerably, and my respect for what he did grow even more.
    His broadcast was called World News Tonight. I never gave this curious fact much thought. It should have perhaps struck me as strange that a national broadcast would label itself with international significance. Had I ever come around to thinking about it before he passed away, I would have probably shrugged it off as additional media arrogance in an era where they have less and less to be arrogant about.
    The stories and rembrances of the past few days have shown me something different. In an environment increasingly prone to focusing solely on the events within our little sphere of cultural significance, where Michael Jackson's sideshow of a trial is prone to get more airtime than a massive human disaster on the other side of the world, Jennings pushed for better coverage, more comprehensive coverage, and more worthwhile coverage. Even if a story didn't connect with the American people, if Jennings felt it was important people know about it he would push to continue covering it. He would highlight the truly important stories of the day and put them into the sort of context only a nightly broadcast can provide.
    We now have three full-time cable news channels, and yet I am fairly confident we are getting less actual news coverage than ever before. As the pundits twist and spin the headlines to meet their particular ideologies more and more, the facts behind them increasingly get lost in the shuffle. Peter Jennings was a force that was willing to move against that tide, a force that strongly believed that broadcast journalism had the ability to conduct itself with integrity and forcefully believed that it had a responsibility to do so. If nothing else, I will miss him for that - a reminder and a herald of everything media could and should be.

17. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

RIP.

This really came out of left field.