Peter Jacksons Heavenly Creatures

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by andreasingo, Dec 17, 2001.

1. andreasingo

andreasingo Stunt Coordinator

Now with LOTR soon to be released it would be a proper time for the studio (which?) to release a region 1 DVD of this film. I'm very anxious to see it because I have read the script which was the best script I ever have read in my life! The reviews are mostly raves and I like Peter Jackson as a director. You could easily say I'm eager to see this movie!

There seems to be two different cuts of this film. A French region 2 dvd of this film exists in widescreen format. The only problem is that it is listed on IMDB as 99 minutes long while the German Pan & Scan version is listed as 104 minutes on the same site. Have anyone seen both versions?

Have anyone seen this film at all? If so, what did you think?

2. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

This is supposedly on Buena Vista's slate for '02 in region 1. Here's hoping it's a collector's edition w/ the deleted scenes. As for the movie, IMHO (haven't seen Lord of the Rings yet) it is P. Jackson's greatest film. From the opening shot, you are gripped. It's so beautifully shot and Kate Winslet and the other girl give such incredible performances. Since you haven't seen it I won't even bother going further to describe it or do spoiler tags but you will love the film. It's unlike anything else he has done or will do for the next couple of years.

3. Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan Stunt Coordinator

The delay for HEAVENLY CREATURES on DVD supposedly has to do with Peter Jackson asking Miramax to delay it until he can participate (which should mean it'll be ready for release in 2004... [​IMG] ). Apparently, as the FRIGHTENERS LD can attest, he really wants to go all out with the disc. As for the "extended cuts" Jackson's been quoted as saying he prefers Miramax's U.S. cut, although the film has played all around the world in the longer version. As to which reason would be released, that's probably not going to be decided for a while.

4. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I wouldn't count on a special edition in 02. We didn't get anything in the Bad Taste LE except for a documentary filmed right after it was made. No commentary, no goodies other than a trailer. The reason was, of course, LOTR.

5. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Cinematographer

Josh Dial
    I swear that I've seen Heavenly Creatures for sale here in Canada, though I think it was in a cheap-o dvd section, thus is probably p&s. This is the movie with a young Kate Winslet in it correct? If so, then this is a good movie, I managed to catch it all but the opening credits about 2 weeks ago here, in widescreen, on showcase.

cheers!

Josh

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

How many hundreds of millions of dollars does LOTR have to make before Universal wakes up to the fact they've got The Frighteners and a four hour documentary for it already in the can and pretty much ready to slap onto a pair of DVDs? Just wondering... [​IMG]

7. andreasingo

So is it Miramax or Buena Vista that has the video rights to this movie?

2004. ARGH!!! I'm even more eager to see this film now!

8. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

I picked up a version of this - I think it was from a Canadian distributor. Ubid was selling them and I paid probably $7 or 9!! It's a very good, interesting, weird-at-times, imaginative, and thought-provoking movie. Since it is based in fact, it is ripe for extras! By the end of the movie you are dying to learn more about the actual events.

9. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

10. Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham Supporting Actor

Andreas,

Buena Vista aka Disney owns Miramax films.

11. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

12. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

There is a Canadian release and it is pan and scan. Image quality isn't horrible, that is, what of it you can see....

13. andreasingo

How about the French widescreen release, has anyone seen it?

14. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I haven't seen the French version but have heard it's got burned in French subtitles in the picture area itself.

15. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

>>That doesn't mean 2004. Even though the last of the Lord of the Rings movies won't be released until 2003, they have already shot all of the films. Peter Jackson will be free to do as he wishes in 2002.

16. andreasingo

The french subtitles in the picture doesn't sound promising. I think I'll pass on this one as long as there only is an acceptable pan & scan version of this film. Thanks for all of your replies.