What's new

Peter Jackson's Frighteners (1 Viewer)

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Folks,

Am I the only one who really enjoys this movie?

I was wondering, in light of Lord Of The Rings, does anybody know if there will be a re-release of the Frighteners DVD that was completelt cocked up the first time around.

Cheers

Lance UK

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Lance,
I can assure you that you aren't the only one who likes this film. I loved it and there are plenty others here that do as well. It's only a matter of time before Julie K, an ardent admirer of Peter Jackson, posts to this thread. :)
I have been wanting to purchase the DVD, but I've been holding off in hopes of a special edition. Maybe with the success of LOTR, an SE will come to fruition.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Its also one of my favorite films.

The DVD is awesome despite being trailer-only. The video transfer is reference quality and the Dolby Digital English soundtrack rocks.

I'd say pick it up now to enjoy the film in the best presentation possible right now.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Yup, I've posted in the various threads in studio feedback to, so far, no avail.

I really like this film a heck of a lot.

Come on Universal.

Julie K

Screenwriter
It's only a matter of time before Julie K, an ardent admirer of Peter Jackson, posts to this thread.

Well, I'm a little late, but here I am!

Yes, I love Frighteners. I got a laserdisc player just to get the extended cut and documentary. I really, really wish it would be released on DVD.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I don't wish to spread any rumors, but I think that I've heard that there might be an SE disc of this in the works. I don't know what they might include (the entire 4 1/2-hour documentary from the LD would be nice, but who knows?). I guess we'll see what happens.

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator
Good to see I'm not the only one.

I have the DVD but in region 2 which didn't even have an anamorphic transfer.

I looking at getting the region version which I understand is anamorphic, correct me if I'm wrong.

I also had the laser disc but that's now gone to the great collector in the sky along with my Star wars box set.

If anybody does have any info I would be grateful.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
completelt cocked up the first time around
Ehm... what's wrong with the current release? Okay, it's not DTS and it might not have much features, but otherwise it's okay, right?

I certainly enjoyed it. This was so a "Peter Jackson, the man from Lord of the Rings"-impulse buy! No regrets here. Forgotten Silver is on top of my whishlist too now!

Julie K

Screenwriter
Kai,
Make sure you pick up Bad Taste. I consider it to be Jackson's finest achievement. :)

Julie K

Screenwriter
Kai,

The limited edition has a great documentary. It's funny to listen to Jackson describe how steadi-cams cost $40,000 and how he built one for $20. There's also a funny bit with his parents and how his mom didn't expect the film to be so gory.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
I'm guessing the cut of the film is the same on both editions, right?
If so, I'm going for the standard edition. Don't watch the extra's that much these days. Not enough time. And it leaves me some money to spend on Dead Alive ;)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I went from the standard version of Bad Taste to the Limited Edition just for the Good Taste Made Bad Taste doc... It is really a good doc, zero fluff :D
Cmon, you know you want it :)
On a side note, I have The Frighteners disc and it is quite excellent. It is one of my discs that is consider REFERENCE QUALITY. It is really a nice disc when you look past the lack of extras.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Okay! I'll go for the Limited Edition. But I'll have to keep it on the whishlist 'till after the dreaded month of may.

(I'm a TV on DVD freak, so I'll be getting TNG S2, X-Files S5, Buffy S4 (and ofcourse Angels S1 to fit into that), Farscape S3 and Father Ted S2. Lagging behind on these will only make it worse.)

It's gonna kill me, I know. Been doing overtime for that one.

M

MaxY

Yep, put me down as another fan of The Frightners which is why I clicked into this thread. :)
M.J. Fox's best movie yet. :)
Max

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm also anxiously awaiting an SE release. I might pick up the barebones one if it goes on sale...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks