Peter Jackson Sues New Line For 'Rings' Profits

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Edwin Pereyra, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

And now the fallout. A lawsuit for a fair share of those precious profits. [​IMG] From Variety:

~Edwin

2. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    [​IMG]

I am shocked. I thought it was all a love fest between Jackson and New Line.

Kinda sad when you think about it.

3. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Yeah, this totally blows. There's almost always something unpleasant to remind us that movies are, first and foremost, a business.

4. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I think the lovefest was mainly just the cast and crew. There were always indications that the relationship between the filmmakers and studio was perhaps a little strained. There was also that time the actors had problems with the studio over bonuses or something like that.

5. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Interesting since Saul Zaentz also sued NL a few months ago over being shortchanged by the studio.

6. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

The cast and crew threatened to raise hell in 2003 over the same issue -- they were entitled to profit points and New Line tried to say that FOTR and TTT had not made any money, that the two films were still in the red. The actors got together and as a group, threatened to go public and raise hell unless New Line treated them fairly. Not wanting to have bad stories in the press prior to the Oscar season for ROTK, New Line ponied up (and from what I hear, the checks far exceeded what the cast was actaully due, New Line wanted to keep them happy, though).

7. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I remember that someone here posted a link to a story about the ROTK dispute at the time, maybe it was in Newsweek. The story said that the deal was being worked on with one of the actors representing all of them, and I wondered who that was. Maybe Astin, he's very active in the SAG.

8. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

The timing of the filing of the lawsuit is rather interesting. Peter Jackson waits until a new Best Picture is named and then he files the lawsuit the morning after that new Best Picture is named - probably not wanting any bad press while ROTK still held the Best Picture crown.

~Edwin

9. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Jackson may have just received a profit report from New Line for the end of the Fiscal Year 2004, and has been preparing the lawsuit for weeks.

In an unrelated story, New Line just dropped the MSRP on the LOTR films.

10. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

This is what New Line gets for overestimating those weekend box office receipts for FOTR on a weekly basis. Now where's Dave Mansell to defend New Line from all of this? [​IMG]

~Edwin

11. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover

Me too. Wow.

12. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Chances for The Hobbit have just gotten alot dimmer.

13. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Why only FOTR?

--
    H

14. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Wow, this is in stark contrast to how Fox gave Cameron *more* money after the unexpected success of Titanic.

These movies made a ton of cash! Come on New Line, pony up!

15. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

Jackson: "I am shocked... SHOCKED... to hear that profit is being made in this establishment!"

New Line Accountant: "Here are your earnings, sir."

Jackson: "Oh, thank you."

[​IMG]

16. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

See, I thought this same thing was done to Jackson too. I heard, though it was just on the radio that New Line had written Peter Jackson a check for several million dollars for the success of those movies....

Of course, I could just be smoking crack.

17. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

"Wow, this is in stark contrast to how Fox gave Cameron *more* money after the unexpected success of Titanic."

I dont know if its true or not but remember reading stories back then about how Cameron was taking a huge paycut and using his director pay to finish Titanic, because it was so overbudget.

18. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H

ALL participants in films audit the books on the participation statements. It is standard practice.

Likely, the audit turned up a lot of mistakes only on FotR, so they are only suing on that film.

19. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Yeah, Cameron gave up all of his profit participation and his directing salary when Titanic went over-budget. Technically, Fox didn't have to pay him a dime after Titanic's mega success but they restored his profit participation in the interests of good press and continuing a good working relationship with Cameron.

This Jackson/ New Line stuff doesn't see all too surprising to me. It sounds like typical Hollywood business- NL probably thinks they can settle the lawsuit for less than they would owe him anyway.

20. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I've thought about this for a few hours now. I think there is too much possible money to be made for the chances to get too dim. It's possible.

It's just like pro wrestling, for one example. Hulk Hogan burnt some bridges with WWE, and Jessie Ventura. I think Ventura even sued Vince at one time, but there was too much money to be made and both have returned to help the compnay at one point or another.