Peter Jackson on Charlie Rose

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Ch, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Just finished watching an hour of Peter Jackson on Charlie Rose, and it's really an hour of LOTR. Jackson is simply wonderful and if you are a LOTR fan, don't miss this, I am sure it's rerunning over the weekend. Jackson mentioned he just finished cutting the DVD version, which will be 30 minutes longer.

2. Ray Suarez

Ray Suarez Stunt Coordinator

Steve,

I only caught the first half last night because I fell asleep (I had just got home from a late showing of LOTR:FOT).

The story of going studio to studio to get a three picture deal was very interesting. I shudder to think what would have happened if PJ had to settle for two pictures (Miramax) or one (Disney). Although, PJ does give Harvey Weinstein/Miramax credit for coming through with a lot of pre-production cash to get the project going. Gutsy move by New Line and unwavering vision of PJ is now paying off in spades with critical praise, box office and academy noms.

Hope to catch the second half this weekend.

Ray

3. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Funny, I only caught the last half of the interview [​IMG] Found it interesting that he considers the new cut on the DVD not a "director's cut" but just an alternate version with no particular endorsement or preference over the theatrical version. Also interesting that he shared final cut with Bob Shaye. I'm glad to hear that after he finishes LOTR he'll be doing some smaller, more drama oriented material, since much as I like LOTR, I like Heavenly Creatures more and would love to see him do some more films like that. As usual it was another terrific interview by Rose (as an aside I wish more studios would liscence his interviews for DVDs like Criterion did for Rushmore and Fox did for X-Men). Can't wait to see the first half when the local PBS station reruns it Monday afternoon.
    - Guy

4. Ray Suarez

Ray Suarez Stunt Coordinator

Guy,

I definitely second the motion for Charlie Rose interviews to be included as bonus material on DVDs. Always informative and interesting. Lets hope PBS is approached and OKs more of these.

Ray

5. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Another part I thought was funny/interesting was the big effort they put in to put together a 40 minute video to "sell" the film to studios. As he said, it's a "making of" documentary before the film was even made[​IMG] .