What's new

Peter Jackson DVDs (1 Viewer)

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I love Bad Taste and Dead Alive (haven't seen Heavenly Creatures yet) but I'm hesitant to buy them on Dvd. Now that Peter Jackson's done with the LOR he can sit down and do some commentary tracks. Anybody heard anythig about them being redone?

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Bad Taste was just released by Anchor Bay not that long ago, so I doubt there will be a new release in the immediate future. Heavenly Creatures is only available P&S in Canada, so you could pass on that. Hopefully Miramax will try to tie in with LOTR.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The Bad Taste DVD is excellent although it suffers from a lack of extras. The picture is top notch when you consider it was shot for NOTHING on 16mm film (with a second hand camera that could only shoot 30 seconds of film at a time with NO SOUND... it was later dubbed). The soundtrack has also been remastered in DTS-ES and Dolby EX and they both sound rather nice (although it isn't demo material).
Get the Bad Taste: Limited Edition if you are going to get it at all... it comes with a second disc that contains a really interesting 30 minute doc on the production of the film and Peter Jackson's beginnings as a filmmaker (with snippets of his first films)
:D

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Meet The Feebles is due on 3/19. I haven't read any reviews yet so I don't know if it's any different from the Canadian DVD that got fair reviews.

I highly recommend Bad Taste: LE. The documentary is good and includes alot of the information. Like Criterion, Anchor Bay rarely includes fluff extras.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
And don't forget Forgotten Silver, Jackson's mockumentary about a New Zealand cinema pioneer. It's got loads of extras and it quite entertaining.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I've got the R2 Red Edition Braindead and would say the quality is greater than VHS but less than the US Trimark disc. The "Blood Red", confusingly labeled "Dead Alive" but which is in fact longer than the Red Edition, is a lot better. But it's hard to say for sure since I've got a crappy PAL->NTSC converter.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
I bought Peter Jackson's "The Frighteners" recently. It's a Zemeckis production (hence Michael J Fox, I guess).
A very amusing (be it long) movie.
I'm still deciding on "Forgotten Silver". It's supposed to be the "Spinal Tap" beater. (Don't get me wrong people, not my worde :)

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
Do not buy the Heavenly Creatures DVD. It is pan and scan, and the last I heard, we can expect a new DVD in the year 2002.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
hmm... where can I find a copy of Forgotten Silver? Spinal Tap is one of my all time favorite movies.

If it is Region 2 there is no problem... I am visiting Dublin in 3 weeks so I can pick it up over there.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Rob, FS is released in R1 by a company called First Run Features. It should be available from all online companies.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Now that Peter Jackson's done with the LOR
Hate to nit-pick, but I don't think you can really say he's done. He's only got rough cuts of the second two and is only half way through the fine cut of the second. Don't think you can say he's done with The Lord of the Rings until we get an extended cut of The Return of the King on DVD sometime in 2004.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks