What's new

Peter Gabriel's 'UP' on SACD or DVD-A? (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I know that it states on Gabriel's site that all of his titles have been mixed with one or both of the hi-rez music formats in mind. I believe that Gabriel is on the Geffen label which is affiliated with Universal - please correct me if I'm wrong here. I think that the politics may be such that we could see an SACD release of his titles, but I think that Peter might be pretty excited about DVD-A's multi-channel notoriety/video playback capability. I personally would be happy with either format, but would like to have some other opinions. I am not looking for another wasteful SACD VS DVD-A debate, but would just like some insight into what you fans believe PG may go with, and why.

Reg

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It is hard to say. I have not seen any Geffen SACDs so far but Peter is always on the edge of technology. If he makes the decision and relies on certain engineers, we may see SACD. I think the Rolling Stones release may sway him a bit that way. On the other hand, perhaps the DVDA camp will want his title for marketing purposes.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks Lee.
It would be nice to see a day and date release for 'UP' in one of the hi-rez formats along with the redbook CD. Since PG'S redbook catalog has already been beautifully rematered, Peter MIGHT decide to go with DVD-A because of the visual content and its greater emphasis on multi-channel audio. PG has always been a big fan/innovator in the music video medium as well, and may view the video capability as an advantage. BTW, I am counting the days til the Stones hit SACD. August 20th just can't come soon enough.:D
Reg

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Oh, if only Gabriel would agree to do a live session for dvd-a and let someone like AIX Records handle the technical side. If he truly had his finger on the pulse of hi-rez audio, he'd know that the only way to go is recording a new session digitally at 96/24, have the session professionally videotaped, add DD and DTS tracks to the live session video, and put the lossless compressed tracks on the opposite side of the disc. Then on top of that, he could do cool stuff for DVD-ROM if you want to go that route.
For a guy like Gabriel, who is very visual, DVD-A makes the most sense IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks