Peter Gabriel's Catalogue Remastered (FINALLY!)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jimmy Nugent, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Jimmy Nugent

Jimmy Nugent Stunt Coordinator

Found this info at petergabriel.com. Click on "The Moment" for this info, news on his upcoming release UP and his work on the soundtrack to Rabbit Proof Fence.

2. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Whooohooo! Vinyl. [​IMG]
    Now, where the hell is that new album & a DVD of the music videos?
    -Dan

3. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

"UP will be released some time in 2002."

Um, okay, I'll believe it when it's spinning in my player. We just hit the nine year anniversary of his last full-length solo release, Us.

4. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I hope the German versions of 3 and Security will get released too.

5. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

That's good news-- save for the fact that I just had to re-buy his catalog after my entire "G" section of my CD library was stolen in a robbery back in June.

I actually don't think that his Geffen/WB CDs-- even the early ones -- sound all that bad, particularly in comparison to the first couple Sire Replacements records and the WB Husker Du ones, which sound tinny and unpleasant.

Perhaps "OVO" will get a domestic release now.

6. Michael St. Clair

Peter, what about the freakin' videos!

Oh, and I love my german version of '3'.

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

This is excellent news. Unfortunately now it's just more money out of my pocket. Time to play the lotto!

8. CarlP

CarlP Agent

Has anyone heard the new remasters? The reason I am holding off is I read there would be sacd/dvd-a version(s) released. Also, any news on the sacd/dvd-a front?

NP: Bryan Ferry Frantic sacd

9. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

I have "Security" and "So" and they sound fantastic. I haven't had the chance to fully listen to them on my home system, but I'm impressed by the tracks I have checked out.

The new booklets are nice, too, with pictures from each album's music videos.

I haven't heard anything about the other formats, though.

Oh, and Gabriel's Web site says that "Up" will be out in four months.

10. Derek Borowka

All of the remasters are available right now for $15-16 at www.hmv.com . Search under artist name.

11. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

My local Plan 9 has every one of them. They are limited editions in mini-LP gatefolds like the King Crimson remasters.

I'm holding off on buying these until I've heard some reviews. Many artists' remastered CDs these days are ultra-compressed, and dynamic range is incredibly important to Gabriel's music.

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Ange, you may consider waiting for the vinyl. I'm sure they'll be pressed very well, the majority of new vinyl I've gotten in the last few years (John Coltrane, Metallica, The Beatles, Wesley Willis, Beastie Boys, etc.) has sounded incredible (with the single exception of the unlistenably bad Busta Rhymes disc). The dynamics will likely be present on the vinyl version. Better yet, seek out the old vinyl at $5 each used. [​IMG]
    NP: Third World: All The Way Strong.

13. Darren H

Darren H Second Unit

Yes, please post reviews if any of you pick these up. I'm not interested in replacing my entire collection (again), but if they offer a noticeable improvement, I'll be forced to buy Security again. Is Passion included in the remasters? (I guess I could go look for myself.)

14. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I think PG's first 3 albums show the biggest improvement with this remastering. Finally they sound clean/ less muddy than before.
    I'm a big PG fan so I say buy em all![​IMG]
    JohnG

15. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

How thrilling that we'll finally be able to hear Peter Gabriel's long-delayed album. Now if Kate Bush could just go ahead and release hers, I'll be a happy man.

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Darren, Passion is included, as well as Birdy.

I'm anxiously awaiting all of them to arrive in the mail from DGM. I've never even heard the second one or either of the soundtracks.

17. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Ange, there's a post over on www.stevehoffman.tv who says the new "So" is overcompressed, as you feared. No funky equalization, but definitely too much compression.
    However, there are others there who like the new discs.
    Ryan

18. CarlP

CarlP Agent

Anyone out there know about the sacd/dvd-a versions of these remasters. I know that I read about them...

NP Ten Seconds s/t

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I'll have to check out the new version of So. If the new song order bothers me enough, I'll burn the remastered disc to a CD-R in the original song order. Now, how about a remastered greatest hits compilation? I haven't seen one yet.