Peter Gabriel SACD's

Discussion in 'Music' started by GarySI, Apr 30, 2003.

1. GarySI

GarySI Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone A/B'd the new Gabriel releases to the last set of remasters? I just did with So and Shaking the Tree and what a difference. Don't Give Up has some things going on near the end that are muddled on the originals, but are brought just forward enough to hear them now. Now if I could just find the multi-channel release of "UP", Best Buy didn't get this with the first batch of discs. Oh yeah. they're on sale for $11.99!!!! My hat is off to Geffen for having the artistic sense to release these essential recordings the way they were meant to be heard.

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Gary, "UP" isn't scheduled for release for another 4-5 weeks or so.

3. John Wielgosz

John Wielgosz Stunt Coordinator

I've picked up "So" and "Shaking the Tree". My Best Buy didn't have any other titles in. (I really, really, REALLY wanted to pick up "Us").

I haven't listened to it all yet, but I had to make time to listen to "San Jacinto".

WOW.

Very powerful, yet so well-defined...it's like listening to it for the first time again. Now I REALLY need to find a copy of "Us".

4. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

I bought "Passion" and "Us" last night from a local Best Buy store. The store also had single copies of the first three albums, the soundtrack from "Birdy", and "Plays Live." I would have bought "3" (or should it be called "Melting Face"?) as well, but its case was cracked. The only downer from the set for me was that "Plays Live" is a highlights version and is missing a few tracks from the original double live album which I have on LP. Still, I left happy because I prefer "Us" to "So" (which they didn't have) and "Passion" is my favorite recording Peter Gabriel has done. I bought the remastered CD versions of "1", "2", and "3" last year, so I'm holding off on buying those in SACD format until I listen more to "Us" to judge the improvements.

5. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

These Gabriel SACD do not seem to be getting much talk around here.

I picked up "So" and "1" and have been very happy with their sonics. These SACD have better bass response then their remastered CD counterparts, and the high end is much clearer. I thought the mid range was a bit lacking on both, but still an improvement over the CD. All in all these are worth picking up if you are a fan. [​IMG]

It is a shame only "Up" will be multichannel though. There was much potential to do more of these discs in multichannel but I am guessing the time or money wasn't there. Maybe down the road.

J

6. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

Justin,
    I received a few of them in the mail last week and among my fav's (3, Security, Passion, Us), none disappoints. So where are you going? Tweeter or PNC? [​IMG]

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

8. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

Does anyone know if all of the new Peter Gabriel SACD's are on sale for $11.99 at Best Buy right now, or just "Shaking the Tree" (as pictured in the ad). If they are all on sale, I'd like to pick up "Us" and "So".

9. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

Justin,
    I'll be going to the Tweeter with the wife and friends (adults only), but the day before I'm taking my 6 year old to the PNC show.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I had a discussion with two of my brothers (who are much bigger PG fans than me) about these. They both bought the CD remasters and are both pissed off about the SACDs. Particularly one who has a SACD player and a MD player in his rack (a good combination for portablizing non-hybrid SACDs). They both have sworn off ever buying non-hi-rez remasters again. They don't want to buy these discs again, and I don't blame them.

I like PG, but I wasn't enough of a fan to buy the CD remasters, and I passed over the SACD ones yesterday at Best Buy without a problem, even at $11.99.

If they were multichannel I would have bought many of them, especially "Security". If they were hybrids, I would have bought a couple, I even had "Security" and "So" in my hands.

I'll probably buy the multichannel Up, but I am not happy about buying it twice.

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

12. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

13. Michael St. Clair

First the SWL DVD was botched, and now Universal drops the hybrid ball.

I've got all of his CDs, tons of import CD singles, vinyl, laserdiscs, videos, and more. I've seen him perform live several times.

The handling of his catalog over the last year is wholly offensive. The discs should have been hybrid single-inventory, and only released once. They should have handled The Police the same way.

I'll buy one or two of the back catalog discs, plus 'Up'. I would have bought the entire back catalog if they had handled it right.

14. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Scott,
    You can find most of the Peter Gabriel SACD's for $12.99 and free shipping at Circuit City

15. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

16. Michael St. Clair

17. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

From what I've seen, you might get a better deal buying both the CD and SACD than buying the imports. I considered going for the imports, but when I priced them it just wasn't worth it to me... I don't have a car, and I do almost all my listening on the "main" system. I've got many of the Miles remasters that were later issued on single-layer SACD, but I never listen to them. I think they'll be passed along to my SACD-less brother fairly soon!

And I'm really excited to hear some good words about "Up"! Is that June now? I guess I don't really mind the wait so much, and particularly since the hybrid format is clearly so important to so many people. But I fear it's gonna be well into next year or beyond before the big backlog at the hybrid plants is finally overcome. I keep hoping they'll build/convert yet another facility for hybrid production... this is the kinda infrastructure that really needs some investment! [​IMG]

18. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

What a coincidence that I came upon this thread: http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hi...es/135367.html

If you're looking for hybrids, shop wisely! Apparently, the prices fluctuate quite a bit, but there do seem to be some better deals out there than I'd previously seen.

19. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

20. RaulR

RaulR Stunt Coordinator