Peter Gabriel on Surround

Discussion in 'Music' started by Bill Leber, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Bill Leber

Bill Leber Stunt Coordinator

Billboard Article via Yahoo!
    Peter Gabriel Seeks Audio Upgrade
    Thu Oct 16, 8:46 PM ET

By Juliana Koranteng

LONDON (Billboard) - Rock icon Peter Gabriel (news) has declared that if he has his way, he will record in only 5.1 surround sound from now on.

He made the comments Tuesday in London while promoting the Nov. 3 international release of the best-of set "HIT" and the "Growing Up Live" DVD. Both items arrive the following day in North America.

Gabriel said the conventional stereo format has simply become dissatisfying. "I will consider using 5.1 only in the future," he revealed. "Working in 5.1, including on film scores, is a new discovery . It influences how you can use that capacity to shift sound; you can get bolder moving sounds around the place." He added: "I tend to use a lot of elements in my arrangements and often there isn't enough space on stereo."

Recalling the days when he was a pioneer of multimedia CD-ROM recordings, such as "Xplora 1" and "EVE," Gabriel said the creative potential is greater on the DVD platform. He also predicted high-definition television (HDTV) will become a viable medium for composers.

"You're not in a live environment; you're in people's homes," he said. "So if you want people to listen to something more than once, my view is that you make it sound as good as you can."

Gabriel recently licensed his song "Burn You Up, Burn You Down" for "Uru: Ages Beyond Myst," the upcoming installment in the popular "Myst" video game series.

Reuters/Billboard

Pretty interesting.

2. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

My hat is off to Mr. Gabriel...

I must confess that I was never a big fan of his, but I admire his artistic ability and foresight.

His SWL dvd althought lacking in PQ is a treat artistically and soundwise.

I think surround will give artists a whole new pallet to work with.

I have only heard a few 5.1 mixes (dts only), but I really enjoy them... Refreshing for an old rocker like me.

3. Michael St. Clair

4. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Interesting but not surprising news, given PG's history.

Wish he'd commented on possibly revisiting his previous albums for multichannel remixes, especially Security.

-p