Peter Gabriel limited edition 'mini-vinyl' remasters

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Heads up for Peter Gabriel fans:
    Remastered CDs of his catalogue have been planned, but limited edition gatefolds are coming out on May 7. You can pre-order them from www.disciplineglobalmobile.com.
    Albums:
    All four self-titled, including Security. So, Us, soundtracks for Birdy and Last Temptation of Christ, and a live disc.

2. andrew markworthy

It's perhaps worth stressing that it's only the packaging which is limited edition - the remastered albums will be available in conventional form after the inital run.

Already got Peter Gabriel 3 and So on order. With the exception of TLTOC the stuff I like on the remaining albums is on the Shaking the Tree compilation (remastered and already out, and available in Britain for about five pounds if you know where to look).

Are you sure about the release date of 5th May, Mike? I've got mine on order from Amazon UK, and they're quoting 28th May. It's pretty unusual for the UK and US to have hugely different release dates for music CDs.

3. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

American sites are showing May 7.

By the way, anybody have any idea what the limited edition "mini-vinyl" packaging is like?

4. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

I would guess that it's exactly the same as the other DGM mini-vinyl releases. It's a tiny replica of the gatefold LP, complete with sleeve for the CD. My King Crimson ones are really cool-looking, but the spines tend to crease if you open and close them. Also, the lettering on the spines is teeny-tiny and impossible to read.

Almost every single cardboard CD case I have is somehow damaged, and I am not hard on my media. I believe I will wait for the jewel-box release.

NP: Nothing. I should put some music in, huh?

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

6. andrew markworthy

Larry, I stand corrected! There are sufficient exceptions to contradict the rule. I was basing it on the fact that when a new CD comes out I tend to compare the US and UK sites to compare prices and I've always found the release dates to be identical or within a couple of days of each other.

You've had a rough deal with the Dire Straits, Joe Jackson and Jam releases. Curious about Joe Jackson, because if anything he was/is more popular in the USA than in Britain (over here, he tended to be seen as a poor second to Elvis Costello, which is unfair on both artists).

7. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I already have the new Shaking The Tree and I think it sounds pretty good.

Had it on one day and the songs sounded great, I was really able to drift into the music.

Should have the rest of the Remasters real soon!

JohnG

NP: Queen/ A Night At The Opera DTS/DVDA

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Re: gatefold packaging

Yes, it is only the gatefolds that are limited edition, that is what I meant.

The gatefolds are slightly taller than jewel cases, which can be annoying depending on how you store your CDs. Because of the King Crimson gatefolds, I am now in love with them. I had to get them when they released Discipline, Beat, and Three of a Perfect Pair. Those look so much cooler on the gatefolds because of the bright uniform color. So, I also had to get all the other Crimson discs like that to match, and I also have the Iron Maiden min-lp style cases and one Gentle Giant CD like that.

The fact that they're limited edition might mean that they will be collector's items, too.

NP: Dvorak, Slavonik Dances, SACD