Peter Gabriel 4 (Security) SACD

Discussion in 'Music' started by Joe Casey, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

I finally got to really listen to this disc last night after having bought it a while ago. I also have the remastered version (damnit!) which is a major improvement over the original muddy-sounding CD. Well, the SACD made my jaw drop, again. It was like listening to the album for the first time. Starting with Rhythm of the Heat through all 8 tracks, a very black background, rock-solid instrument separation, improved dynamics, and tonally transparent and clear. I could hear the very electronic nature of most of the synthesized instruments which I'm not a fan of, but the way he layers them together to create magnificent textures is just amazing.
    As you're probably aware, most of his music is very 'bassy' with lots of rhythm (I call it earthy). In the past I would have to EQ the sound just to get even a somewhat fuzzy picture of all the earthy rhythm. Not any more. You really get to enjoy Jerry Marotta's drums jamming with Tony Levins bass and PG's low-frequency soundscapes. Very clear and natural.
    Now I can't wait to 'really' listen to Passion.

2. David Gotwals

David Gotwals Auditioning

Joe,
    When I bought my Denon 2900 a month ago, the first SACD titles I bought were PG 1-4,and US. I did not have the remastered CD version, but the improvement over the original CD was just ridiculous. I always felt US was an incredible album (writing and playing), but the mix was awful. Not anymore. I thought Security (Bite) was second on the improvement list. Such a dynamic blast when the drums kick in on "Rhythm" and "Kiss of Life". I suggest the SACD of UP, with multi-channel. It really gives each instrument (or program) a chance to define itself. I think the multi-channel loses a little power over the stereo version, but PG's music is SO layered, that it is great to hear it a little bit more dissected. I wish they created mulit-channel for all his titles. Can you imagine "Excuse Me" in surround. If you like Security, and you don't already have it, can I suggest the documentary of those sessions that aired on BBC. I found it on ebay, and what a gem it has turned out to be. Gives you a great look at how the songs formed, and the many changes they went through to become the final version. I could talk about this all day. Enjoy.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Joe,

That sounds great. Thanks for the review. I will be picking more albums up of PG but I really love my copy of So.

[​IMG]

4. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

David,
    Yes, I have the BBC documentary, being a HUGE PG fan. I've got all his stuff on vinyl, CD, CD remasters, and all the SACD releases. Since last November, I've seen him only 9 times in concert. [​IMG]
    BTW, if you ever get a chance to see the Tony Levin Band, don't miss out (only saw them 4 times since this past January!).

5. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Up is a revelation in Surround.

I still need to pick up a few more PG SACD's.

I don't have Security or So.

6. David Gotwals

David Gotwals Auditioning

Joe,
    "Please excuse me master" said the grasshopper. I feel shamed only seeing him twice this year. I am still kicking myself for missing Tony's band at a small club in a detroit suburb this spring. I will not miss him again. I took my fiance to both PG shows this year, and multiple times she asked my what was wrong, after I let out loud groans. I said, "nothing, he is just soooo good (referring to Mr. Levin)" I really believe Gabriel's catalog being released in SACD was what made be buy my player.