Peter Boyle in "Joe", available on anything??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex Shk, Dec 22, 2001.

1. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

This was the first movie I ever saw Peter Boyle (the father on "Everybody Loves Raymond") featured in. I guess it would be a sadly dated film nowadays (working class bigot "Joe" helps a buddy retreive his daughter from a hippie commune), but I would get it just for the "camp" factor.

Additional MIA 60's camp - "Wild in the Streets" in which an acid dropping rock star sucessfully campaigns for 14 year olds to get the vote, and finds himself elected to the white house.

Any availability of these titles in ANY format?

Better question - any DESIRE for them?

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Joe is available on laserdisc and, I assume, tape, but not dvd. Susan Sarandon also was in this film.

3. Peter Manojlovich

Peter Manojlovich Second Unit

Joe was a big theatrical hit in my home town when it first appeared. Ran for something like 35 weeks. I'm suprised this one hasn't made it to dvd. I believe John Avildsen of "Rocky" fame directed. First film I ever saw Peter Boyle in, and I believe this was Susan Sarandon's first screen appearance.

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I enjoyed Joe when it first came out and would love to rent it on DVD for a revisit. Boyle was great, and it was Susan Sarandon's first film--she plays the hippie daughter--and I still remember (or think I do) one great bar scene where hardhat Joe is talking about salaries with a white collar executive. The executive states his monthly salary and Joe asks something like, "How much is that an hour?"

5. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

The film is set in NYC with a horrific ending probably filmed upstate. I had just moved to the Hudson Valley when I saw it and it scared the crap out of me. You'd really have to have been around in '70 to know how realistic the damn thing was.

Jim