What's new

Pete Rose Finally Admits He Gambled On Baseball (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

Saying "I don't like those bad old baseball writers" does absolutely NOTHING to excuse, mitigate, or absolve Rose of ANYTHING.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

I’m a fan of the game and disagree.

Rose’s statistics are available for everyone—the Hall of Fame has nothing to do with preserving statistics. As for his actions, both on and off the field, they too remain for everyone to consider.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So ... if you are elected into the HOF, and do something of scumbaggian proportions afterwards, should you be ousted out of the HOF?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, Pete Rose items are on display at the Hall of Fame. There are more than 60 items of Pete Rose memorabilia on display in Cooperstown and he has his own section in the Hall of Fame museum where his records and accomplishments are recognized and duly noted.

Crawdaddy

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for pointing that out, Robert. Sounds like the only real bitch about Rose's place in the HOF is that he doesn't get the "honors" that are "due" him, instead of "just" recognition of his records and accomplishments.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks as well for the information on the Rose items in the Hall of Fame, Robert. I was unaware of their presence.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the interview last night broke any new ground. It would have been interesting if Gibson had pressed Rose on the apology. Was he sorry he gambled and not just sorry he got caught? Would he offer an apology to John Dowd?

The one odd thing I noticed about Fay Vincent's comments was that while the agreement Rose signed in 1989 stipulated he wouldn't have to admit betting on baseball, it also forbid him from denying it. That's sounds strange...it's almost like Pete would have to say "no comment" any time someone asked him about the allegations.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
RobertR,
It is rather easy to put words in other's mouths. I'm sorry that your hatred for Pete Rose has lead to your evading the issue of integrity and the Hall. Integrity clearly is not an issue for the Hall or the writers based on their own past voting actions, up to and including, the last vote this past week. They have and continue to elect other criminals and cheaters to the Hall and have not once removed a player. In addition, they have and continue to not vote based on the facts in front of them and have failed miserably to research the efforts of those merely a half generation beyond their era.

Why are Christy Mathewson, Kirby Puckett, Juan Maricial, Ty Cobb, and Gaylord Perry, and others in the Hall of Fame???

Why are others, like Mathewson, found to have gambled on baseball games including their own elected to the Hall, yet Rose doesn't even get a vote?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

It's you who are evading the issue. Pete Rose does not belong in the HOF or baseball, PERIOD. Talking about what some baseball writers may have done wrong in the past does absolutely NOTHING to change that fact. It seems that you value a lying scumbag above that of the "baseball establishment" which you seem to hate, and somehow want to stick it to "them" by voting in one of your "heroes". He is no hero, and voting him in would do nothing to "right" past "wrongs".

I feel that Pete Rose belongs in the Hall of Fame. His accomplishments on the field are enough and people should stop judging him on his character. He was a role model to me as a player and many others. His value as a example of playing the game with "guts and hustle" is being lost to a new generation of children and fans. All they know him as is a guy who bet on baseball. His impact was much larger than that and it should be taken into account. These steroid junkies and players without fundamentals that pervade our sport world influence our youth in such a terrible way. My father and many coaches all pointed out this man as an example of "how to play the game" not how to live a life.I dont see how anybody could hate a man unless he personally knew him. Bud Selig can make him do many things to earn the right to get a job in baseball but he definitely belongs in the Hall.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
So did anyone buy Pete Rose's book? I picked it up the other day and I'm only about 30 pages in; it's a pretty interesting read.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member

Putting words in my mouth again. I haven't avoided the issue at all, I've stated the facts regarding current HOF members and have asked what makes this different considering their past and present stance on integrity and the HOF? It certainly can't be a recent policy either, or else I would have seen Eck's plan for ending his own addiction. I still don't see the answer the question as to what makes this "lying scumbag" worse than the other "lying scumbag"s the writers already elected including the other "lying scumbag" that bet on his own game.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
An article in the Dallas Morning News claimed that an informal poll of eligible writers indicates that about 50% would vote for Rose’s inclusion in the Hall of Fame. Since election requires 75%, he is a pretty long way off.

That is, even if Selig allows him to be considered. Which, at this point seems doubtful.

Users who are viewing this thread