Pete Rose Finally Admits He Gambled On Baseball

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Peter Kline, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Not a particular surprise, but certainly a man who was in denial. After all these years he confesses, just in time to sell a book and make the talk show rounds. Put him in the Hall of Fame, but keep him out of baseball. My opinion.

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    I never thought his admitting it was an issue? I thought he always said he did, but that he never bet on the Reds.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I don't think Rose had admitted to betting on baseball games, just other sports venues.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

What were the odds he'd ever have admitted it?

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Highly dependent on the state of his personal finances, obviously...

6. Peter Kline

Yup. It's all about the Benjamins for him now. And, no he never admitted betting on baseball.

7. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Gives a whole new meaning to "Charlie Hustle".

8. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

If he does admit it in the book, I am sure he will insist that he either bet on non-Reds games or he bet on the Reds to win.

It looks like he will be interviewed on Primetime Thursday (ABC).

9. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    The whole Rose debate has been a great sports radio topic for years. It's funny how Rose has always denied betting on baseball -- I don't think there's a person on Earth who believed he didn't bet on baseball, and I think if you made everyone swear to it, I don't think there's a person that would say he didn't bet on the Reds. I just think this book shows how big a scumbag Pete Rose is. He's used the public and his brash in your face attitude to make a big section of the fans root for him. He's used the fans to almost force baseball to take him back. Now that he realizes once and for all, that the only chance in hell he has to get back into baseball is to admit that he bet on the game, is when he turns around and tries to profit from it.

I'd feel pretty cheated if I bought Mr. Rose's last book that insisted he didn't bet on baseball. Now his new book says he did. BUT, does it say whether he bet on the Reds, or are we going to have to wait another 10 years for his NEXT book for him to admit he bet on the Reds? This guys a dirtbag who's kept company with drug dealers and tax cheats, but his Charlie Hustle image has kept his fan base alive....

Now, all that being said, you'd think I'd say Rose doesn't deserve the Hall. Realistically, yes, I think Mr. Rose deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, but in a totally other WING. They should have a Disgraced Performers corner where they can put Pete Rose on public display as someone that blew a future in baseball due to gambling. You put a picture of him, hell, even a plaque, and have it say "Pete Rose, Inducted into the Hall of Fame. All Time Hit King. Banished from Baseball for gambling." I think you do the same thing with Shoeless Joe, who I think got a raw deal when you look at his performance in the series. I DO NOT reinstate Rose into MLB.

There's a joke I get a kick out of everytime I hear it. "I own one of the rarest MLB collectibles, a baseball NOT signed by Pete Rose."

Doug

10. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

This is the last year Rose would be eligible to be voted into the HOF by the writers. After this year, if he were to get in, it would be through the veterans committee, where he stands -NO- chance of getting in. The book is timed to give him one last run at being forgiven to get into the HOF.

Doug, as you pointed out, it's a travesty that we consider Rose while Shoeless Joe has never gotten a second chance; better historians then I have evaluated it and looked into all matters, and no one can even figure out if he took any actual money; but along with other players on the team, he got branded; despite his stellar performance in a series that the rest of his team threw.

I'm always reminded of this: Pete Rose was recently invited to an all-star game commemorating the game; it was his first time to be there since his ban. He was LATE and missed all openings but the lineup because he was in ATLANTIC CITY gambling by his own admission.

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Well said, Doug. Pete Rose is a disgusting figure with no shame. It's sad and pathetic that so many fans admire such a scumbag.

12. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Pete deserves to be in the Hall. Yes he's made mistakes, but deserves a least a 2nd chance. How many has Strawberry gotten? I guess you can do all the crack ,cocaine ,and beat up all the women you want( not just him) and get a 2nd & 3rd go around, but sports betting is not tolerated. Baseball sure has it's priorities straight

13. Peter Kline

Strawberry is a completely different situation. Strawberry admitted his problems and has paid dearly. Rose denied them and continued to milk his fame and deceive. Both situations are very sad.

14. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    Aaron -- The one thing you're not taking into account is that gambling disrupts and can destroy the credibility of the game of baseball. The reason there is such a passion for professional sports is because the games are won and lost by men (and women) on the field. Bringing gambling into the clubhouse would turn baseball or football, or whatever sport, into professional wrestling or worse yet, boxing. [​IMG] (Don't get on me about the wrestling comment, I like it, and enjoyed my seat at the last Wrestlemania.)

Drug abuse, spousal abuse, DUI, assaults, rape, etc are things that destroy the person, not the sanctity of the game. Gambling by players and managers brings the outcome of the game into doubt.

Doug

15. aaron campbell

What about Ty Cobb, a blatant racist who even beat & attacked people, some at games in the stands? Thats okay with baseball? I just don't see gambling as bad of a vice as others. I do see your point Doug, although I think Pete has paid his dues.

16. aaron campbell

double post

17. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I don't think he has. He has NO shame, expresses NO remorse, and lies whenever it suits him. That isn't "paying his dues".

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

In 2004, no, I doubt that would be OK. Heck, look at the crap a player took this year for knocking someone in a goofy costume over without meaning any harm.

But, as has been said - gambling messes with the the product baseball is selling. It doesn't get a player banned from baseball because it makes him a bad person; it gets them banned because that player threatens the assumption of fair play, which is something a professional sports league can not have under any circumstances.

As to whether Pete Rose has "paid his dues" - he can't. He just can't. He knowingly violated the rules of the game, the one specific rule which teams are reminded of every year, and the one which carries the penalty. He then made an agreement with the league that while not specifically stating he had gambled, involved him accepting a lifetime ban from major league baseball with the understanding that the banishment is appropriate. He is out, and should stay out. That MLB has occasionally relented and allowed him to take part in ceremonies at the behest of MasterCard is a black mark on their record.

That said, I do not think MLB's ban should necessarily apply to the Hall Of Fame. The HOF is a museum, not officially connected to MLB, and should make its choices as a museum.

19. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

...and the same could be applied to steroid use. Baseball really needs to address this issue in a stern manner.

Sorry to go slightly OT but it just struck a chord with me.

20. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

No, you're absolutely right to be concerned about that.