Pete And Andre: Class All The Way

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kline, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

These guys have provided us with great tennis for 13 or so years. At the end of the match tonight, they hugged. You'll never see today's men or women ever do that. (They celebrate prior to shaking hands with their opponent - not in the tradition of good sportsmanship I'd say). Congrats to Pete for another US Open Championship. And Andre for giving his all.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Wow, totally forgot this was on this afternoon, but really glad to see Pete get that one last major (before heading into the sunset should he choose to put down the racket). Andre did well to dispatch Hewitt in 4 sets in the semis to get to the finals.

3. Peter Kline

I think Pete wants to win Wimbledon one more time so he's gonna be around for at least another year.

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

And it was in HDTV too. It was nice to get really excited about a men's tennis final again. And is their a better setting for this type of match than the US Open in NYC. Forget the 9/11 stuff even, just that traditional, raucious crowd (in a good way).

Everyone is so supportive and enthusiastic. All the cat calling of support before serves and huge applause and cheers after great points. It makes these underdog runs so much more electric (just like Connors' great Open was).

Pete really dominated unfortunately. While it was semi-close, it never felt like Andre had a shot. He was always on his heels being dominated by Pete's serve.

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I was happy to see both of them in the finals and was rooting to see a fifth set. I would have been satisfied whether the winner was Pete or Andre. Definitely beats the dull, ho-hum monotony of the women's final.

6. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I missed this too. I tuned to CBS in the morning, expecting to see the match on. Then I checked my Tivo but it wasn't listed at all on Sunday, so I thought it would be on next week.

7. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Props to Andre for saying he was outplayed instead of whining about "beating myself" unlike a certain Canadian living in England.

8. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

9. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

10. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"unlike a certain Canadian living in England. "

He's NOT CANADIAN!!

The problem with the match was that the NFL pushed back the TV till 4:45 ... I had tennis at 7P.M. and had to leave 6:45.

Brent

11. Peter Kline

The match was actually sceduled for between 4:30 and 5 PM. The NFL game was factored in. It was a shame that there was some bad-mouthing of Sampras during the tournament. As one of the greatest players ever, he deserved more respect from some of the other players who felt it necessary to act and speak like jerks. I hope he retires on this high note.
    Did you hear the story about two cats sitting alongside a tennis court? One of the cats said, "you know my father is in that racquet". The other replied, "boy he must have a lot of guts". Oh, I'm sorry... a very old joke.[​IMG]

12. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

McEnroe was on Letterman last night and said that Pete was the greatest ever. He put him ahead of “The Rocket’, who was his boyhood hero (and my personal fav as well). He also put Andre in his top 5 ever.