What's new

PETA Just Might Be Pushing It A Bit (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
You have to hand it to PETA for their consistency, but trying to work up sympathy for cockroaches of all things (what's next? Chastizing people for killing the mosquito that just bit them, and not realizing they "have their place in the world"?) doesn't sound like an effective tactic. They should concentrate on the cute and cuddly.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So, what would a PETA member do if their home became infested with cockroaches?
I can understand certain moral beliefs when it comes to animals (Some of PETA's methods, however, are a different story) But Christ, choose your battles people. We're talking about one of the filthiest, creepiest, most pestulant species on the planet.

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
A bit? A Bit!? A BIT?!?!?!

They are clearly on the lunatic fringe, but their hypocrisy is what does them in. They send activists out to pester city animal shelters for euthanizing animals, yet they euthanize animals themselves. They support the "liberation" of laboratory animals, yet Peta VP Mary Beth Sweetland is alive because she takes pork-based insulin (emphasis definitely mine).

Sorry. If they were really about protecting animals, they would not euthanize them, and Mary beth would nobly give up her own life for the protection of those pigs that supply her insulin.

What's next, are they going to dress up as death in the dairy section to protest the "yogrt holocaust"?

"How many lactobacillus bulgaricus must die for you to enjoy your fruit-on-the-bottom goodness? AAAAUUUUGGGHHHH!!!!!"

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, this would be just as nuts as if they tried to get us to stop driving cars because of all the bug deaths on our windshield. :rolleyesYeah, it's sad that a lot of their CRAZY/INSANE tactics have overshadowed their real purpose. Animal Rights activists will get nowhere if they come across as complete nut jobs.

Speaking of bug deaths...as WillG alluded to, I wonder how PETA members feel about driving cars and the related bug splats?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
PETA has a noble idea, but the inmates are definitely running the asylum there.

A decent message is lost in the noise of their idiotic rantings.

Buzz said it best...

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
How is a roach-eating contest any different than a hot dog eating contest? I don't remember them protesting the latter too much.

Our local radio talk host had a PETA member on after Steve Irwin's death, & the person could barely hide her delight at what at happened to Irwin, as if it were especially great that he had been killed by an animal.

But what would you expect from people who oppose things like having a cat (or anything) as a pet and guide dogs for the blind?

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

I was at an animal rights conference with my wife a few weeks ago and that was pretty much the main message of the keynote speech. Groups like the HSUS are clearly embarrassed by PETA but unfortunately a lot of the attendees at the convention were clearly having trouble understanding the message.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

"Dear PETA:

Actually, when I created roaches, I intended them to be used EXACTLY for this purpose.

Toodles,
God"

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
What is really upsetting is that PETA has put me in the position of having to defend a cockroach-eating contest :angry:.

--
H

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
People can live with roaches in their house, but I wonder about termites "They have a right to live too!! So move out of your house!!"

I think Maddox has the best idea to teach PETA a lesson...

So someone else eat 6 roaches, I'm sitting this one out!!

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Do they also protest animal-on-animal killing ? Insects kill each other in the most vile ways imagineable.... something has to be done !

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Down here in Louisiana, well we are the Sportsmen's Paradise....................

Back when I was real big into fishing PETA made a real showing for a couple of weeks and was passing out questionnares to fishermen at the Baton Rouge city lakes and other places, but they had questions on them like how would you feel if someone hooked you in the mouth, do you think fish feel pain, etc..... There was a good bit of talk about the questionnares over more than one fish fry :D

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
I would like to see PETA members, out in the wild, staging protests amongst packs of wolves or prides of lions, for the "cruelty" those "vicious, mindless bastards" are inflicting on their herbivorous "victims."

I'm still laughing at one story I have heard, of a couple of overzealous animal rights activists who took it upon themselves to open the gates to free pigs scheduled for slaughter only to end up being trampled to death by the horde of pigs escaping from the slaughterhouse. I don't know if it's true, but it is downright poetic.

Users who are viewing this thread