What's new

Pet Repellent (1 Viewer)

Michael G Jones

Stunt Coordinator
What do I use to keep the cats out of the A/V Storage Unit & running & climbing all over the computer?

I recall someone mentioning double sided tape. After checking the internet, my options are to go with either a commercial product (spray) or to sprinkle hot cayenne pepper around.

What do some of the HTF members use to alleviate this situation?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Keep the computer and keyboard covered when not in use, and keep the doors to your equipment rack closed (assuming a rack). Cats will pretty much go wherever they want once they put their minds to it.

MicheleB

Auditioning
Mine used to love to run behind the rack/stand/speakers and hang out with the cables. A few (carefully shot) squirts with a water bottle though and he isn't interested in going back there anymore.

Mike*Gillgannon

Auditioning
The trouble with the spray is that it's sickening to humans too. A very weird odor to say the least. And cayenne pepper would be cruel and unusual punishment, it seems to me. I don't think there is a real solution. By the by, I'm trying to type this with a cat sitting in my lap.;)
mike

Robert McLay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Get this guys,
I have a cat that likes to chew through my wires. I have bought 1 optical wire, 7 S-video wires, and about 10 coax cables. That is not even including the number of lamps that do not work because she chewed completely thorugh the plug cord, or the fact that we have had to completely take apart our christmas tree 2 times and wire up the tree with lights, for a total of 3 times of lighting the tree. She has chewed through the monitor cord for my computer, my IEEE cord, and two printer cables. Ruined two vacuums, and three corded drills. I have tried everything under the sun to try and get her to stop. I have done the cayenne pepper, which she stays away until its smell is gone, and then attacks with a fervor yet again. I have squirted her with water, scared her with noises, nothing works. I don't want to get rid of her if I don't have to, and I have even had a vet tell me that if push comes to shove I can have her teeth removed because they really don't need them to eat - because supposedly they don't need to chew their food. It's to the point where I have got duct tape around lamp cords, and I bought that hard plastic covering for certain other wires - which doesn't go well with my fiance. She is outlawed from two different rooms - computer room, theater room. The vet said once they get something in their head that's it. The whole point of this thing - is that nothing with a cord is visible in my house, anything from a coffee pot to a toaster is put away when not in use.
The funny thing: I bought that the cat for my fiance when we first started dating, so I actually bought the one thing that troubles my life the most. It's just we don't want to have to pull the cats teeth, because that really sounds like cruel and unusual punishment - even though it came from a vet.
SO GOOD FRIGGIN' LUCK!!:D

Robert McLay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Jack:

What did I say that was cruel in my response at all? I said we weren't going to do what the vet said - which was to pull the cats teeth. I just thought that it was a little amusing that someone else is going through what I have been. I have spent well over $500 replacing what my cat has destroyed, yet we still keep her and love her. So I am not quite sure what was so cruel about what I said. Are you talking about the vets recommendation? We think it's cruel, just like I said, so don't worry that's not going to happen.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Squirting with water did the trick with my cat. It didn't even take that long either. Now the cat recoils when you do nothing more than point the squirt bottle at it!

As with any behaviour modification therapy, your mileage may vary!

Jon_Skiffington

Auditioning
The old water bottle has worked well for me in the past for my cat. If plain water isn't enough, add a little bit (like a couple of dashes) of lemon juice to the water.

Works like magic on my dog...I think I had to use it 3 times in total.

Robert McLay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I tried the citrus thing too - because it was recommended to me also. I just think I either have a super cat, or one of the most stubborn animals I have ever had. More than likely the latter.:D But she is our first, so that makes her our first child, and yes while I am sitting here so is she. So she is allowed in the computer room when someone else is, so we can keep one big eye on her:) .
Rob

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi there, Robert:

I had planned to delete my post, but it'd look kind of funny now that you've responded to it. Sorry for my hasty response, as you clearly indicated you wouldn't follow the doctor's advice. (I'd find my beloved feline a new doctor, though!) Again, I apologize, sir!

JB

Robert McLay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
No problem Jack,
That is what this excellent forum is for. I know my first post was a bit much to take in, because I didn't make separate paragraphs, and even re-reading it myself I got confused.
No worries about the doctor, we have went with a vet that my fiances brother does independent computer networking for. And they are wonderful.
Everyone have a very merry holiday.
:D
Rob

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I recall someone mentioning double sided tape.
I heard a radio interview with a Hollywood cat trainer who suggested the masking tape trick to a caller. Get wide masking tape and lay strips sticky-side up on places where you dont want kitty to purch.
It's important to use Masking tape because it's non-toxic and comes off with mimimal/no residue. Cats hate to get anything sticky on their paws so you WANT them to make the attempt and learn that the keyboard/printer/monitor is a messy place that they should avoid.
Although this comes to mind: "Honey, I had to buy that new thin-screen monitor to keep the Cat off of it!". :)
Cat's love the top of the Monitor because it's warm. Dare I suggest an electric heating pad set to 'low' placed nearby to give kitty his own purch? These at least have removable covers for washing.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
This may sound silly ,but I have read about Dogs being given small doses of Prozac for "emotional"problems,maybe work for cats?We have 4 cats and 2 dogs:D ,one cat has BAD Obsessive compulsive problems,will stand in front of me and just "clap" her front paws over and over:D ,and just loves to chew cardboard and magizines.I ve been planning to talk to the vet about Meds for her.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Robert, that's an amazing list of cords your cat has chewed through! Is there some kind of cable wrap you could try? I wonder if that spiral cut plastic stuff you find at Radio Shack would work.. it's thick and has some sharp-ish edges on it that the cat may find uncomfortable. Just a thought.

It's funny, my wife and I were just commenting how our cats can sometimes be more work than a new baby. We have 2 boys that wake us up a few times a night. Either by wrestling with each other in our room, climbing all over us, licking my wife's nose, chewing on her hair, or meowing. We've tried to lock them out, but they paw and lick the door.. (a cat's tounge on a hollow core door is pretty noisy). But they are best buds and are a blast to have around.

Mike*Gillgannon

Auditioning
What I want to know is: How has that cat avoided electrocution so far? Chewing power cords sounds like risky business, nine lives or no nine lives.

Robert McLay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
Dave:
Our latest venture was to use a plastic cover of sorts for a few of the lamps that we have replaced. So far it has worked but it only comes in one size, at least thats all I could find, and it is only large enough to get the lamp cords in. Now this would work with my s-video and such, but other cords such as the computer monitor cords it just won't get over.
On those types of cords we are just wrapping tape around them, which seems to do the same deal, but is even uglier than the black plastic, and if we need to take the tape off then everything is super sticky.
But we wouldn't give her up for anything in the world. Because just this morning she did that very same thing to us - waking us up by giving us our daily shower/cleaning with her tongue.:D
Rob

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ever since reading about the suicidal chewing of power cords, I can't get it out of my mind. I almost unplugged every piece of equipment in the house this morning before leaving. But Attila has never displayed the slightest interest in power cords except when they are unplugged. In other words, with one end dangling loose. And we all know how cats just love anything that looks like a long piece of string.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks