Pet Meds?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by alan halvorson, Jun 14, 2005.

1. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Yesterday I took my dog to a vet for his rabies shot and a general checkup. My dog has been pretty healthy, at least as far as I could tell, and I didn't expect any negatives. To my surprise, he tested positive for Lyme Disease. Lyme Disease, I was told, is mainly transferred by deer ticks and is pretty rampant in my area (and others also). My dog hasn't been in the woods or fields since I've owned him (about a year), so it's impossible to tell where he got it (it's a little scary for me too as I've been everywhere he's been). Further, he could have gotten infected last fall or even summer.

Anyway, there's a vaccination for Lyme disease and some antibiotics to take. I found out that pills for dogs can be as expensive as for people, and since I was getting them straight from the vet, I expected I was paying full price.

So I checked Pet Meds. Since I'm used to getting most dvds and other things cheaper online, my belief was that prices for drugs for pets would also be lower. To my surprise, not only was Pet Meds not cheaper, but on one drug, they were significantly higher.

Is this normal? Why would this be? The drugs are pretty commonplace - Heartguard, Frontline, Doxycycline (for the Lyme Disease). I see no reason to buy from Pet Meds if I can't get better prices. How do they stay in existence?

2. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Most in-house tests for Lyme are for antibody , which can be from previous Lyme vaccination, previous exposure, or current infection. Active infection can be diagnosed by rising sequential titers or a Western Blot.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

hey doc!

remember my pup with the overactive bladder I asked about?
    in case you were curious it ended up being a bladder infection that didn't show in the urinalysis, and guess didn't respond to the amoxacillin, it eventually got worse, they did another analysis and it showed up, put her on some more expensive antibiotics and pup and owner have been happy ever since, well until I caught her finishing off the leftovers from dinner a bit ago [​IMG]

now she's hiding. Every now and then I scowl at her and she gives me a sad look like "I didn't know that wasn't cool!" [​IMG]

back to your previously scheduled thread...

4. Julian Reville

Hey, that's her job; she's trying to save your life by keeping you from getting Salmonella. [​IMG]

5. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I don't know what the test was called. The vet drew blood from my dog's leg, and eight minutes later he showed me this plastic thing with two holes in it and said the test indicated that he had lyme disease. The test was also for heartworm and new lyme - why that is different from regular lyme, I don't know.

I sure hope my dog (Moose) comes out of this ok.

6. Julian Reville

The test was probably and in-house Idexx 3Dx; that's what I use. It tests for heartworm antigen and Lyme & Ehrlichia antibody.

This is between you and your vet, but I would suggest a confirmatory test.

I'm sure he will. [​IMG]

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

how nice of her [​IMG]
    while we're on the subject of her jobs she can stop fetching my socks out of the clost one at a time too.

8. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I don't use Pet Meds, but I buy most of my dogs recurring medications via mail order from a place called Wedgewood Pharmacy. My Pug has a host of daily meds for seizures, and eye ointment and gel.

It's actually much cheaper for us to buy from them ...about 40% of the cost from the vet. Not all the meds are cheaper though.

Of course, my vet doesn't mind because our dog has cost us a small fortune over the past 10 years and he actually recommended this pharmacy to us.

My dog never had Lyme, but she did have Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever about 5 years ago...For whatever it's worth, she's doing fine.

9. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

I've used Healthypets.com for non-prescription drugs (frontline plus) and CET dental chews. Good prices, low cost shipping.