What's new

Pet health insurance? (1 Viewer)

Mitty

Supporting Actor
My sublimely healthy (knock on wood) 6 1/2 year old cat has only had to endure what must be one of the few procedures that is more expensive for an animal than a human: a simple teeth cleaning. Of course, he has to be put under to do this, so it's much more of a procedure than a person going to the dentist. It was $225 last time I had it done.

With the exception of two dental cleanings, I've paid about $75 a year in medical costs for him. Peanuts. In his 6 1/2 years, I haven't had to cough out even $1000 in medical costs for him, including his adoption fee from the SPCA, neutering, etc. Compare that to a healthy 6 year old child.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
And - as callous as it might sound, should an emergency arise requiring treatment with costs measured in thousands and not hundreds of dollars, I would consider euthanasia as an alternative
If you were talking about veterinary care being unable to help the pet, or if the pet were suffering, I'd agree. But I can't put a value on our dog in this manner. It seems akin to treating a pet like a disposable object in my opinion. If it costs too much to fix, just throw it away.

I'm not judging you, but I could never personally agree with this.

Christopher~O

Stunt Coordinator
Vet bills are horrible
My apologies, no disrespect meant. My vet is great, informative, objective and compassionate. I should have said "Vet bills can be a shock", especially here in Canada where you never see a bill for what your heathcare costs the system.

My dogs are my kids with one bonus - they don't ever need university tuition.

Cheers,
Chris

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
you would be better off saving the money you spend on this type of insurance, and putting it in a savings account, not touching it except for pet health emergencies.
$199 for the year(only $109 for the standard plan) doesnt seem very much at all for a little security for my pet.

If i want to set money aside i can still do that. The health insurance i have for my dog wasnt a based on price anyway, i was more concerned with WHICH insurance to get.

My dog is part of my family, no he isnt human, but i love him dearly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks