Pet health insurance?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveA, Nov 15, 2002.

1. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Is there such a thing as health insurance for pets? If so, is it worth it? I started thinking about it because one of my cats just got treated for a blocked urinary tract and the vet bill is over $500!

Anyone heard of such a thing?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, you may insure a cat.

3. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

Just like Jack said, yes there is. My boss has two small dogs that have cost him alot him vet visits. I think he once said it was like $500 a dog. He wishes he got it becuase he has spent more than that in vet cost.

4. Christopher~O

Christopher~O Stunt Coordinator

I just signed up both of my Minnie Schnauzers. Vet bills are horrible and I could not imagine the stress of having to make a decision between chiping loose a few thousand in the event of an accident or illness or putting one of my "kids" to sleep....

In Canada it's petplan.com, not sure about the USA.

Cheers,
    Chris

5. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    I have VPI for my dog and it has helped so far. No major problems with my dog, but im glad i have it. My dog wasnt cheap [​IMG]
    I have the Superior Plan and Vaccination & Routine Care Coverage.
    The VPI Superior Plan provides the highest payouts available.
    It features:
    - Annual benefit maximum of $14,000*
    - A low deductible of $50 per incident
    Heres a brochure in PDF format
    http://cache.petinsurance.com/visito...ochure_01a.pdf

6. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I bet just about every vet's office has brochures selling pet insurance.

7. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Pet health insurance is available, www.petinsurance.com
    That said, IMHO: you would be better off saving the money you spend on this type of insurance, and putting it in a savings account, not touching it except for pet health emergencies. Also, like any other type of health insurance, it does not cover pre-existing conditions, and it grows considerably more expensive as the pet ages.

8. Jack Briggs

Thank you for the input, Dr. Reville.

It used to anger the hell out of me when co-workers back in 1997 would insensitively comment about "all that money" I was spending to keep my beloved Attila alive and healthy (he developed a mysterious kidney ailment that his doctor never could pinpoint; I am thinking it was because he swallowed a lot of string, threads, and fiber from a disintegrating scratch post I had neglected to throw out).

But how can one put a price on the life of a cat one loves more than anything or anybody else?

Some of these co-workers suggested that caring for a cat who is experiencing a serious illness should (I remember one of them saying) "only about twnety bucks or so."

Masking my hurt and anger, I calmly explained to this cretin that those studying veterinary medicine are pretty much put through the same rigourous educational process as MDs.

Now, more than five years later, Attila is charging forward, all muscle, fur, and buzzes. (Though his doctor still insists he must eat the CD Formula available only through vets' offices. Never can be too safe.)

9. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

10. Grant B

Grant B Producer

We had our scotties insured for a year and the moment we tried to collect they fought us all the way.
    We ended up getting about 50% of the costs and that was the end of that.
    Jack
    I hear ya Jack, and feel the same. I told my wife if we were bad off and the dogs needed something, dont expect to see your wedding ring for long

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I'm very tempted to try to get a quote for my tarantulas!!!! It does list "other" in that link you provided...
    I'm checking out the lists.. it considers "rabbits" as exotic pets!
    Sheesh, it doesn't even list spiders... I'm mad [​IMG]
    No respect!!!
    Jay

12. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

We don't have it for our Pug, but I wish we did. She had a bad run of illness 3 years ago that included Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Vestibular disease, an eye ulcer and a few other things. She's had some permanent neurological damage, unexplained seizures and goes to the vet at least once a month for something, often more.

All in all, we've spent over $7,000 in vet bills for her...Worth every penny, and Visa sure isn't complaining. But looking back on all this, I really wish we had pet insurance. It's too late because of all her pre-existing conditions, but next dog we get, no doubt we'll buy insurance.

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Wow, never heard of such a thing. I doubt I'd ever buy it, but for some, like Carl's situation, it probably would have been a good thing.
    Superior plan is $40 a month for my 9 year old Dalmation or $20 a month for the Standard plan. But, it does not seem like it covers much. I could see saving that amount, in a separate account, if you need it, it's there, if not, at least no money was wasted after the animal dies.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

14. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

If I could get ACL surgery done for $1500 I might not carry health insurance on myself! That's a good deal considering how much education and training veterinarians must have to practice. I wonder if the relatively low cost of veterinary services is due to the law's view of pets as simple property and the lesser amount one could sue for if something went wrong? What do you think, Dr. Reville? Is there anything to that? Do you folks typically carry loads of high priced malpractice insurance?
    BTW, thanks for you input here. I'd been wondering about pet health insurance myself...nice to have a dog-tor in the house. [​IMG]

15. Julian Reville

Thank all of you for your kind and intelligent responses. (I worried all night that I would get flamed).

16. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Thanks for your response, Julian. My feelings for my two big pound mutts are not unlike yours, they sleep on the bed and never lack for fond attention, so on the surface of it I like the idea of a change in the law that would allow me to recover what I think they're worth if someone intentionally or through negligence harmed them. However, this is an interesting point:

"...if the law ever changes in even one state (and it will probably by California first) allowing pets to be considered more than property, the cost of veterinary malparactice insurance will skyrocket, and then so will the cost of veterinary care."

That statement does illustrate a potentially serious double-edged sword of which some in the legislative bodies might not be aware. Certainly makes one think.

17. Jack Briggs

Not at HTF, Dr. Reville.

And speaking of California, there is an official move here pushed by animal-rights activists to eschew the word "pet" and to position their human companions as "guardians" and "caregivers" as opposed to "owners." Semantically speaking, I am in complete agreement with the effort, for in making less-sensitive humans aware that cats and dogs are not mere property people might in turn regard the lives of nonhumans more highly.

I've never thought of any cat with whom I've lived as a "pet." I don't "own" Attila; I care for him.

18. Julian Reville

19. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Thanks for all the replies. I have evaluated the costs and risks and concluded that I'm better off being "self-insured." Sure, a sudden $500 vet bill is a smack to the wallet, but as long as my two cats don't have more than one such incident every 2-3 years between the two of them, it will cost less for me if I don't pay for insurance.

And - as callous as it might sound, should an emergency arise requiring treatment with costs measured in thousands and not hundreds of dollars, I would consider euthanasia as an alternative.

20. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit