What's new

Personalized License Plates...The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly (1 Viewer)

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator
I saw one the other day:

O2BSD8D

Saw one a while ago:

CYGNUS1

I asked if he was a Rush fan. He said yes and that I was the first one to notice :).

My own:

LILDRGN

A friend of mine used to call me that. Go figure.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I'd love to get BSDGRL (or some variation thereof) but it seems to me that someone else would already have it. Is it so wrong to display my geekish tendencies and my love for BSD?

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Hehe, no. ;)

The BSDs (Free, Net, and Open) are Unix operating systems. Kinda like linux, but maybe more l337. Well, not really, but it's not as well-known as linux. I'm partial to FreeBSD, myself, but Net and Open are just fine. Much better than linux, if you ask me ;)

And see, well, operating system choice is as fundamental and important to me (and folks like me) as is religion and politics. Perhaps even more heated than the long-lived debates of Windows vs. Mac or Windows vs. Linux is the Linux vs. BSD (usually Free). And really, probably the only thing worse is when fanatical BSD users "discuss" among themselves which version of BSD is best. The Open folks generally make a strong case and, well, Free usually leads, but there's one or two guys eternally dedicated to Net. Seriously, it's just not a pretty sight. The fanaticism rivals a holy war.

So I love FreeBSD and want to proclaim my love for it, most people won't have any idea what BSD is and for most of those that do, they won't care. So I guess, it's a bit silly to bother putting it on my license plate since a nice FreeBSD bumper sticker or emblem of the FreeBSD daemon would do.

Of course the other half of my desires stems not that *just* am fond of BSD, but that I'm female. There's not many females that are even into computers or even Unix operating systems, let alone BSD. One could say I'm quite proud that I am.

Chances are, I will never get the personalized license plate and will probably continue to be something I just think of from time to time.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
YES!!! Upgraded my Tacoma this past weekend to an A4.:D Although I really like HAUDI, I've decided to not go with it as people pronounce Audi differently (ow-di and ah-di). I pronounce it ow-di hence Howdy, I don't want people to read it and think Hottie. That's a term a reserve for pretty women and as far as I'm concerned shouldn't be applied to men. I'm sure women may think of it differently and that's fine too.

What do you guys think? LOTR or A4ALEX?

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
As much as I like "LOTR", most non-internet savy people may not be familiar w/ that acronym. But "A4ALEX" is clever in its own rights and quickly understood and appreciated by others at first glance. I see it as "LOTR" for your own personal satisfaction, and "A4ALEX" for others to giggle at.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Welcome to the A4 club! Hope you like yours as much as I like mine. Between your 2 choices, I would choose A4ALEX, but thats just my opinion and its your car. What about a slight combination......A4RINGS. Gives you a reference to LOTR and also the 4 rings on the grill. ;) Hmmm, I may have to check the availability of that in my state.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Thanks Philip! I'm loving it so far. I nearly bought one several years back but opted for a 328i at the time, it was basically a toss up and I got the better deal on the Bimmer. Needs changed and I needed 4WD or AWD, guess I should've got the A4 to begin with.:)

I like A4RINGS, unfortunately, we only have 6 characters to work with here and A4RING doesn't work quite as well.

As Kevin noted, most people probably won't get the LOTR dual reference to the Audi rings and the movie. Looks like I'll probably go with A4ALEX...

Graham Perks

Second Unit
Crude one coming... I saw a photo of this normal looking one:

A55 RGY

It was a Florida plate, where there's a picture of an Orange ("O") in the middle... Very clever to use the background image.

If you like BSD, I hope you have a Mac!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It would be funny if that was a legitimate random plate from the Florida DMV. :D

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
I saw a plate the other day that had this one it:

BUGRPIKR

I might be a litte off on the exact letters used but nonetheless the mesaage was very clear. And what really gets me was that it was on a brand new Infinty SUV driven by an older man. I would expect to see that on some old POS driven by a kid.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter

Nope! I run FreeBSD on i386 hardware. But evenso, I don't care for Apple's bastardized version of BSD so I won't be buying anything with OSX for at least a while.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
I'm thinking of the following: GT-R, R32 GTR or WOKPAN. I'm seriously thinking of getting the last one.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
What do you guys think about GECKO for the A4? It's small, nimble, quick, and sticks to darn near anything.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Makes me instantly think of the Geico Gecko Lizard thing on the car insurance commercials. You may not have those commercials in your area though. Or, some people may think your really into the movie "Wall Street" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks