Personal hot water heater/kettles?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Anybody have any XP with the Braun model, I forget the model name but I think it heats 6 cups, has a kettle/pot that is detachable from the base and isn't too pricey. Looking to get one for work so I can heat/boil water for instant hot chocolate while I change out of my bike clothes....

Was going to check some of them out today...

Jay

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Jay,

Its funny but a lot of people may have no idea what you are talking about. At least as far as I have seen we dont have them here in the US though they may be available in Canada near you. When I was in Santiago Chile for Christmas almost everyone had one and they were great. You flip the switch and your water was boiling within oh 20-30 seconds or so. Unfortunately since they dont have them here in Oregon at the least I cant give you information on brand/model but I can say that if they were available to me I would get one in a heartbeat.

KyleS

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
  4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Damn you Jay now that you have pointed one out to me that works on 110v I may have to go out and buy one. Maybe they are a recent release to North America but like I said in South America they are everywhere and fantastic.

KyleS

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Actually we do have them in the U.S. They are just not ubiquitous. We have one that I use every morning to make coffee (French press) and often afternoon tea.

Picked it up at Tuesday morning. Holds 1.5 l. It does not heat as fast as ones that I had in other countries, but that may be due to 110v electricity instead of 220v. Or not.

Saw an ad in the Dallas Morning News a couple of weeks ago for one, with the claim that it only took 1.5 minutes to bring a full kettle to a boil.

Once you have one, you’ll never go back.

6. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

I have a Krups big one at home, and a personal one at work. I love them both - very convenient for heating water, making personal-size coffee (using a special filter-holder designed for these), etc.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I was shopping for one of these for my Mom for Christmas. Unfortunately, the cheapest model I could find was $50 and my budget didn't allow for that after already having bought her a bunch of other stuff.

The ones I found were at Bed, Bath & Beyond and Linens -N- Things. I think I saw an ultra-cheap version at Wal-Mart, but it didn't seem to be very well made (probably why it was so cheap).

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Well, I was at my local Target and I think I bought one of those Ultra-Cheap ones for $13. It doesn't have an auto-off, it doesn't have a detachable base, it doesn't even have an on-off switch! but I figure I'll see how good it is and maybe return it if it's crap. It's a cheapo Rival brand 32oz heater. I was looking for the Braun but didn't find it and probably wouldn't want to spend retail on one anyway. Target had a Black and Decker and a Philips model, both were tall and bigger capacity than the Rival but I don't need the capacity and they were more than the Rival. I figure I can always ask for one for my birthday when it comes around. The Rival one is nice sized in that it is short and will fit in my locked cabinet at work.

My first try should be tomorrow!

Jay

9. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

We have a Philips. Works great , boils water in about a minute with an automatic shutoff. My wife picked it up at Targjay for about $30-35.

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhHHHHHhHhHhHhH.... [​IMG]

one nice hot cup of hot chocolate (isn't that redundant??)
    with the Rival... Holy sun goddess, the thing boils a small cup of water fast! Shoot I think I had a small cup of water and 20 seconds later it was boiling... good thing I didn't put the water in and then go change into my work clothes...

Feels good after a nice cool 8°F ride to work this morning...

StephenL, is the Philips model loud? The one report on Amazon reviewing the Brauns one was saying that it was really loud. Since I have this at work in my cube, don't want to disturb the other inmates, erhh.. cubemates. Probably the same model I saw at my Target for about $30 or so.

Jay

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

we used to have a sunbeam hotshot when I was a kid, pretty handy [​IMG] glad it works for you.