personal best: 3+ minutes to remove stickers ;-)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ted Lee, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

well, i think i hit an all-time high yesterday.

i started burning a cd, then began removing all the packaging for my fargo se.

the pc finished burning before i got the last sticker off. i know it takes approximately 3min for my pc to burn a whole cd, so i'm pretty darn sure of the time-frame.

not too bad i say.

some shrinkwrap and three stickers .... three minutes. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

It takes me 10 seconds with a box cutter knife [​IMG]

3. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

depending on how many stickers, I'd say 5 minutes max. for me. [​IMG]

4. Antony James

Antony James Stunt Coordinator

Ten to thirty seconds for me, no sweat.

5. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

Thanks, Ted. You gave me a glimmer of hope that Robert Towne's 1982 Personal Best (with Mariel Hemingway & Scott Glenn) had been released on DVD (with very intricate, complicated packaging) & I'd somehow missed it . . . . [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

lol...sorry brian. didn't mean to give you false hopes!

antony - 10 seconds? i bow before your greatness.

maybe the problem is i'm too anal when openin' these damn things... [​IMG]

7. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    It's become a ritual for me. I get the shipping box at work and start wrenching it open. This sometimes involves fierce cutting tools or some painful finger ripping if I'm lazy. When I pull out the contents, I look at the DVD boxes for a few moments (with a heartfelt yet obligatory "Yes!"), file away the shipping receipt, then start peeling away at the shrink-wrap like some mad lock picker. At this point my co-workers know I have gotten a new DVD because they can hear the high-pitched crinkling halfway across the office. After removing the shrink, I sit there catching my breath for a moment and then start meticulously peeling away at all the security stickers with my fingernails. My success and speed here are determined largely by my grooming habits and how recently I've cut my fingernails. For one fleeting moment I consider leaving one index finger nail untrimmed like a coke spoon pinky nail. This would be my "DVD finger." I shake myself. Anyway... once freed of its plastic shackles, I pop open the DVD, toss away any promotional junk (Disney DVDs), and flip through the booklet (a quick read if its MGM, but if its a Criterion I save the reading for bedtime).

Eventually I get around to actually watching the disc.

8. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

I typically open a few dozen DVDs each week. This device, the i-Slice, absolutely saved my life.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The company's blurb reads:

9. Antony James

Antony James Stunt Coordinator

Ted, just so you don't think any less of me, I'm not tearing my DVDs open like a savage. They all come through in pristine condition. [​IMG]

I slice the top along the groove with a box cutter, which opens the shrink wrap and cuts the sec-sticker. Slide the shrink-wrap off, open the DVD, pull the two halves of the sec-sticker off (which is super easy once split) and voila! Add a few more seconds if it's got three sec-stickers, and a second or two for that black sticker inside.

Done! [​IMG]

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

that i-slice looks great. i've tried those traditional cd openers and i hate them. they totally scratch the case.

antony - i'll try your technique.

one last gripe. why don't they all use the same material for that security sticker stuff? sometimes it comes off in one clean strip. othertimes it "shears" apart - then i have to pull it off multiple times. ugh! [​IMG]

11. Andy Overby

Andy Overby Stunt Coordinator

I whip out the Benchmade pocketknife, slice through the shrinkwrap and the top security sticker and then the other two security stickers if they are there. I then open the case and easily remove up to 6 sticker halves and the store security magnetic strip. I have over 450 dvds and Im REALLY good at this now - 20 seconds - absolute max!

Am I the only one, or does anybody else think about a dvd opening contest with tons and tons of prizes???? Oh...guess that was just me [​IMG] :b

Andy

12. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

3 stickers on the outside, 1 security device on the inside...1 minute flat. No tools, just delicate fingernails. I won't soil my unwrapping experience with some newfangled ceramic doohickey.