What's new

Person of Interest Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Premieres next Thursday, September 27th at 9/8c!

I had to do a marathon viewing of the last several episodes of last season. I'm looking forward to any possible return of Amy Acker as Root, as well as Enrico Colantoni as Elias.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I am looking forward to the premiere episode of season 2 - "The Contigency"
Random thoughts...
I am assuming that the title refers to plans that Finch put into place that would be triggered in the event of his demise or capture. In season 1 viewers were teased with hints that the Machine was (or was becoming) self aware and I am curious to see if this is a factor in the opening episode. Given the show's proclivities for extended plot lines will Finch's situation be resolved in one episode? Probably, but the ramifications of that event will likely echo throughout the season. Very curious to see where the new season takes us, the viewers.
- Walter.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm wondering if the "Root" is really the "root"...or a pawn there of...
Earlier in the season it isn't Amy Acker playing the role...but then, there really wasn't anybody playing the role. But it obviously isn't Amy Acker.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I am hoping Alicia survived. In any case she will probably still be around in the flashbacks.
Watching the DVDs I noticed the actor that played the lawyer that bailed out Reese in the first season one episode was in the episode with the evil US Marshall. When Reese went to the Marshall's office the actor passes him in the hallway and nods to Reese. Maybe Finch sent him .

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel said:
Random thoughts...
I am assuming that the title refers to plans that Finch put into place that would be triggered in the event of his demise or capture. In season 1 viewers were teased with hints that the Machine was (or was becoming) self aware and I am curious to see if this is a factor in the opening episode.
Given that in the final moment of last season we saw Reese directly addressing the Machine through one of the many security cameras throughout NYC, and we see the Machine view type out "Assessing Options" or something to that effect, I think the sentience of the Machine is definitely going to come into play. Not that Reese will directly be working with it directly, HAL style, but rather the Machine will arrange for Reese to meet one or more persons who can perform Finch's functions while Finch is missing.
schan1269 said:
I'm wondering if the "Root" is really the "root"...or a pawn there of...
Earlier in the season it isn't Amy Acker playing the role...but then, there really wasn't anybody playing the role. But it obviously isn't Amy Acker.
It was just hands with black fingernails and the back of a woman wearing a wig, so I don't know that it's that obvious.
My impression of Root is that she's the Professor Moriarty of this world; a master criminal for hire on the open market. She's not unmoral so much as a moral; a very intelligent sociopath.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee /t/323888/person-of-interest-season-2#post_3977742
Premieres next Thursday, September 27th at 9/8c!

I had to do a marathon viewing of the last several episodes of last season. I'm looking forward to any possible return of Amy Acker as Root, as well as Enrico Colantoni as Elias.
I've been watching every episode again as I make my way through the BR boxset. I have two more episodes to go on the third disc then onto the final disc. Watching these episodes again in their entirety, I have realized I missed some details during my initial viewings this past year. Some examples, that Carter's first name is Joss and that being in-country (Home) for CIA operatives means they're behind enemy lines.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I wonder if Kara (Annie Parisse) will be dusted off to help find Finch...after all, we know she isn't dead.
Also, Rachel Miner played Root in "Root Cause"...
Could be they didn't have an actress set for it, or...it could be the makings for a twist...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Walter Kittel /t/323888/person-of-interest-season-2#post_3977749
Random thoughts...
I am assuming that the title refers to plans that Finch put into place that would be triggered in the event of his demise or capture. In season 1 viewers were teased with hints that the Machine was (or was becoming) self aware and I am curious to see if this is a factor in the opening episode. Given the show's proclivities for extended plot lines will Finch's situation be resolved in one episode? Probably, but the ramifications of that event will likely echo throughout the season. Very curious to see where the new season takes us, the viewers.
- Walter.
The second to last episode of the first season focused on "The Contigency" and Finch's late partner had something to do with it which might have led to his death. This episode and the one before it are among my favorites of the first season because you find out more background about the two main characters. Anyhow, I'm down to the last episode when Root reveals herself to them.

I read that Elias would definitely be back and that Margo Martindale will appear in the second episode and it's hinted that she's somehow connected to Root. Also, Reese might have some romantic moments this season and that my girl, Zoe Morgan/Paige Turco will definitely be back. Another point that was mentioned in the previous thread about this series is that Finch/Reese have helped a lot of people so perhaps more of them will reappear this year to offer them some needed assistance besides Zoe.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I was thinking that too, Quentin, that POI has a lot of elements of THE SHADOW. Reese, dark overcoat and all, is like a combination of The Shadow and his agent, legman, Harry Vincent. Finch is like the Shadow's information compilers Burbank and Claude Fellows. Carter and Fusco are like Commisioner Weston and Detective Cardona. Zoe is Margo Lane. http://weirdscifi.ratiosemper.com/shadow/cast.html
I'd like to see Anton, the punk from the first episode, come back, for Reese to harass, as a season opening tradition.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Last night's first episode for the second season was excellent. Root is one evil, cold-blooded and very smart sociopath. However, I think her weakness is her over confidence in her own brilliance. Next week's episode should be very interesting with one of my favorite character actresses playing a role that has some connection to Root. By the way, Amy Acker is rather hot!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by schan1269 /t/323888/person-of-interest-season-2#post_3981143
I hope the dog is a mainstay.
That scene, by itself, was worth the entire hour.
I read something about two weeks ago that Reese will have a canine buddy.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I like when you can tell a show has legs. Production values go up(granted in TV there is only so far...). Characters get expanded.
You could tell last season, at about Ep. 6, that the show was gaining staying power. I don't think this show has legs for 6 seasons as the premise is "too big"(besides the fact would Jim or Michael stick around that long???)...but a great show for 3-4 seasons would be all that could be hoped for.
I'd hate for this show to turn into a computerized variation of X-Files...
There are only so many times we can really see "number pops up, person gets saved..."
However, like I stated earlier...great premise...but I don't see this as a long running show. Sort of like 24, great premise and I think that show was done "just enough"...
But, I like how this show is, if you think about it...
Equal measures, and only the good parts of...
X-Files
Cold Case...(I bring up Cold Case as I can see the "computer" being sentient and going "back in time" to help rectify prior wrongs...there has to be a reason for all the flashbacks...eventually)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
"That's a good look for you, Lionel"
"Like a gag order." :D
Excellent start to the new season. Liked the canine partner, Carter having to assist Reese with a rather large assailant and especially Finch's training sessions with the Machine. Curious about Root's motivations considering her last dialog with Finch in the episode, and Finch's locking down the Machine in anticipation of his and other's potential temptation to experiment with an entity like the Machine (a Contingency in its own way.)
- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Forgot to mention, I enjoyed the echos of Season 1, episode 1 with
a) The use of Stills' badge.
b) Reese recalling Finch's "...I didn't say it would be easy."
- Walter.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Great to have the show back!
I'm curious...does the Arian Brotherhood have a supercomputer too? They were at the right place/right time every time!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A very enjoyable season premiere but I do wonder how long this search for Finch will last. Root's smug superiority really makes her a great villain.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Last night's first episode for the second season was excellent.
I completely agree. They tiptoed around the truth about the Machine for pretty much the entirety of the first season. It was the device that gave them numbers, and Jonah Nolan and Greg Plageman were really cautious about touching on the larger nature of the machine. There were a few hints here and there, but the finale finally asked the question and this episode started answering it in a really big way.
All of the stuff with Finch and the Machine, essentially a parent holding his toddler's hand as the child learns how to walk, was great. The reveal of how Finch got the numbers was especially great; a fool proof system that is never the less tailored fairly specifically to Finch's sensibilities.
Root is one evil, cold-blooded and very smart sociopath.  However, I think her weakness is her over confidence in her own brilliance.
What I really liked about how the character was written here is that while she is definitely a stone cold sociopath with no moral compass, her defining quality is her extreme nerdiness. If you took a computer prodigy and then took away all of society's limitations, what would you end up with? Her primary motivation isn't money or power. She's motivated by curiosity: I want to do this terrible thing and then watch and see what happens. The jobs that she takes on are puzzles that keep her interested. If there's a human cost, and there probably always is, she's indifferent.
schan1269 said:
I like when you can tell a show has legs. Production values go up(granted in TV there is only so far...). Characters get expanded.
You could tell last season, at about Ep. 6, that the show was gaining staying power. I don't think this show has legs for 6 seasons as the premise is "too big"(besides the fact would Jim or Michael stick around that long???)...but a great show for 3-4 seasons would be all that could be hoped for.
The premiere got a 3.0 rating and was watched by 14.2 million people. That's up from both the series premiere and the first season finale. The rare show where the ratings continue to climb as the show goes on rather than fall.
I totally agree that CBS shouldn't pull a CSI or NCIS with this show. If Nolan and Plageman don't want to continue with the show at some point in the future, they should just let them give it the ending it deserves. I can't think of a single instance where a network brought in a workman-like "second act" showrunner for a show's later seasons where it didn't have a negative impact.
...That being said, they've done a really good job so far of keeping things anything but static. The premise provides a constant framework, but all of the series regulars are in dramatically different places from where they started at the beginning of the series. As long as the characters are allowed to continue to evolve and things never settle into a status quo, I think they can get away with keeping the episodic framework of the SS #s without it getting stale.
Walter Kittel said:
Curious about Root's motivations considering her last dialog with Finch in the episode, and Finch's locking down the Machine in anticipation of his and other's potential temptation to experiment with an entity like the Machine (a Contingency in its own way.)
That was a great final beat; Finch isn't threatened by the plodding but vicious intellects atop the federal bureaucracy. He is threatened by his own genius, and the impulses that would lead him to play god. You kind of get the idea that while Finch isn't a sociopath, his morality is intellectually imposed rather that something that comes from his gut.
MattH. said:
A very enjoyable season premiere but I do wonder how long this search for Finch will last.
Jonah Nolan told TV Line, "We ended with one of our main characters thrown into jeopardy, and we need to deal with that in an honest way. How does Reese go about getting Finch back? I think we’ve created a character in Root that is a bit of a mystery in terms of her capabilities and what she wants, and we’re going to examine that more thoroughly in the first episodes. Like any great villain, we’re going to find out that she and Finch have more in common than he might have previously believed."
Read More at: http://tvline.com/2012/09/26/fall-tv-preview-person-of-interest-season-2/#utm_source=copypaste&utm_campaign=referral

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks